Coq au vin

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

Coq au vin

#1 Post by alan weinberg » May 8th, 2020, 9:27 pm

classically made with an old rooster, I like using thighs and drumsticks, mostly following the classic Julia Child recipe.

Cook some bacon or lardons and then brown the floured chicken pieces in the fat. Add some cognac and burn off. Sauté some peeled cipollini onions and reserve. (If they cook the entire time with the chicken, they melt away.) Add chicken broth, red wine, thyme, bay leaf, a little
tomato paste,and spices such as parsley, a little garlic, quartered mushrooms (I sauté them first), then cook a while to concentrate flavors. Add onions at the end, thicken with cornstarch (not classic) or flour.

What’s your variation?

Victor Hong

Re: Coq au vin

#2 Post by Victor Hong » May 9th, 2020, 6:37 am

I use roux.
WineHunter.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by RichardFlack » May 9th, 2020, 7:55 am

Victor Hong wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 6:37 am
I use Roux.
FIFY
Sr or Jr?

(Sorry. I always swing at the slow pitches as they say.)

And, FWIW Michel Jr adds a little honey. Been on my todo list but never got around to it yet.
Last edited by RichardFlack on May 9th, 2020, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Henry Kiichli » May 9th, 2020, 8:08 am

My 3 rules were

Get the best chicken

Slice the bacon carrots onions very thinly

Un oaked wine
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by RichardFlack » May 9th, 2020, 8:12 am

Seriously, for red wine version pretty much that. Don’t use drumsticks just thighs. Sometimes add halved chicken breasts part way through cooking (browned with the thighs and reserved).

For white version I go in more Mediterranean direction with chicken thighs, quartered Fennel Bulb, sliced large carrot and onion wedges, seasoned with fennel seed, cinnamon, rosemary and thyme.
Flour the chicken and brown. Remove to large pot. Toast the spices in same pan, quickly sear the vegetables in the spices, add a bottle of wine and the herbs and some lemon juice. Add to the pot. Simmer covered for half an hour. Remove lid simmer another 15 mins. Sauce not thickened with flour just reduced significantly at the end with chicken and vegetables kept warm.

Mike Davila

#6 Post by Mike Davila » May 9th, 2020, 8:28 am

The Wife uses the version from The best of America’s Test Kitchen with boneless thighs. One of my favorite things she makes, and she’s a good cook.

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Chris Blum » May 9th, 2020, 8:32 am

Mine is pretty similar.

I sear largish carrot chunks and sauté diced celery and add them to the oven braise. I try to have the skin side above the braising liquid.

I use beef stock more often than chicken

When the braise is mostly done, I pour off and separate the liquid. I reduce the liquid then I make a roux w the fat and turn it into a slightly thick sauce. Sometimes I kick it up w demi glace if it needs more umami. Sometimes I finish w a bit of butter but almost never.
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by RichardFlack » May 9th, 2020, 8:39 am

Mike Davila wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 8:28 am
The Wife uses the version from The best of America’s Test Kitchen with boneless thighs. One of my favorite things she makes, and she’s a good cook.
I prefer bone in (but take the skin off). Seems to help texture as well as flavour.

Scott G r u n e r

#9 Post by Scott G r u n e r » May 9th, 2020, 9:24 am

Would prefer dark meat but I have to use some white in this house. Sigh. Also use classic Julia Child as base. Been a while since made it though
//Cynic

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by T. Altmayer » May 9th, 2020, 9:50 am

I also only use thighs and legs. I’ve used too many different recipes over the years, but one of recipe I saw (but have not tried yet) from Bistro Jeanty in Yountville added cocoa powder to the sauce. At his restaurant, the dish is great, so been meaning to try his version.
Tom

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Lee Short » May 9th, 2020, 10:36 am

RichardFlack wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 8:39 am
Mike Davila wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 8:28 am
I prefer bone in (but take the skin off). Seems to help texture as well as flavour.
+1 for bones.

For shrooms, I use wild mushrooms, dried or fresh.

I agree with whoever it was that said this dish is too much for aged burg. It's very good with young pinot, though. Or even young Nebbiolo, if you're using dried porcini in the dish.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by RichardFlack » May 9th, 2020, 11:03 am

Lighter young Pinot I use less or little chicken stock, heavier wine more stock. In a pinch will use other than Pinot, as long as not oaked or overly jammy etc. And best to make your own stock. Roast the chicken bones.

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Ed Steinway » September 27th, 2020, 10:48 am

Years ago, our son had a middle-school project where he had to cook something on his own, with some supervision. He made a simplified variation of coq-au-vin in the crockpot. Around 3 pounds of boneless, skinless thighs, chopped shitake mushrooms, chopped leeks, 2 cups chicken broth and 1 cup of white wine. Add a lot of thyme, a bay leaf, salt, pepper and some garlic and cook on low for around 8 hours. Then he cooked up a pot of white basmati rice to serve over it. Easy to make and delicious, and something we still make.

Ed

Victor Hong

#14 Post by Victor Hong » September 27th, 2020, 3:46 pm

I add in fresh chicken gizzards.
WineHunter.

Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Ed Steinway » September 27th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
I add in fresh chicken gizzards.
This was a French class assignment. If there were chicken gizzards, he would have thought it was his biology class. :)

Ed

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by John Davis » September 29th, 2020, 9:42 am

Mine is very close to Alan's and occasionally we add a couple of chicken livers.
ITB

K N Haque

#17 Post by K N Haque » September 29th, 2020, 7:27 pm

We usually make Nigella Lawson's Coq au Riesling version (easily found online). We only use the optional cream on day two. And of course drink an Alsatian Riesling with it!
K @ m @ @ l

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”