Grilled cheese the right way

Start with Comte (there was no good cheese shop nearby so I had to settle for Costco)
Comte.jpg
Then slowly fry some bacon
Bacon.jpg
Home made mustard on your bread (sorry, low carb white bread for health reasons)
mustard on bread.jpg
Build you sandwich
Bacon on bread.jpg
Grill to just the right toastyness
Flipped grilling.jpg
Slice and eat
finished product.jpg
Bacon on bread.jpg

Jay, that is certainly a fine looking cheese sandwich. No apologies needed for Costco Comte; it’s a solid representative and a good choice. The bacon and the fine mustard, of course, take it to another level. The last few times that we have had grilled cheese have been with the leftovers from our weekly cheese plate. Had it for lunch today. Here you go – a grilled cheese plate sandwich!
[cheers.gif]
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG

These all look great but if you’re not putting grated Parmesan cheese on the outside of the bread you are doing it wrong.

Tell me more about your weekly cheese plate cheesehead

I think you guys have left out the real star of the best grilled cheeses – the copious amounts of butter!

Any fans of tomato in the sandwich?
I find I mainly eat grilled cheese in the summer when I can add some slices of farmers market tomatoes

I like it but deliberately decided to leave it out for this particular attempt.

But with bacon. For health reasons. [Insert appropriate emoji here]

Reminds me of a time I ordered a bacon cheeseburger with Parmesan fries at some Todd English restaurant in some nondescript airport food court (JFK? Logan? Newark Don’t recall).
I asked that the burger be cooked medium rare.
The waiter said “all burgers are cooked well done, for your health.”
“For MY health?” I asked. “Seriously? If you cared about my health, you’d bring me a salad and not a fried beef burger with pork fat and cheese and fried potatoes with more cheese.”

Did you at least have a 15.6% Saxum JBV to help counter the bacon fat? I think it is called the “Le Saxum Paradoxe.”

Brian, that is an old man’s story, but I am happy to tell it. After our kids got a little older, my wife and I started travelling a lot as just the two of us (maybe 20+ years ago), one of the things we often did was to plan our vacation around me taking some kind of art workshop or instruction in France or Italy. We would be based in one place for a few weeks or more picking up the local vibe and rhythm. Jacqueline would checkout the nearby villages and countryside while I did my art thing. We would also check out the local wine scene. We would have all three meals together usually. In both countries, but especially in France, we fell in love with the idea of having cheese, French bread and wine to end the day. One year we spent the entire month of April in France (the warmest, fairest April in recorded history) and that was our “dinner” most nights (al fresco by the way). When we returned to the work routine and with the increasing availability of quality cheeses, we started a Friday tradition of ending the work week with a “dinner” of cheese, French bread and wine. We have both been retired for a while, but we still have our weekly cheese plate with wine and bread, usually Saturday or Sunday, but we are flexible. It is something that we both still enjoy and look forward to. Best, -Jim

That sounds delightful and such a nice tradition. When my wife and I were on our honeymoon we spent our time in Belgium and the Netherlands. I still dream about the cheeses we had during that trip, in particular the aged Gouda from Reypenaer (5 years) and Beemster, which has been difficult to find in the U.S. I’m a big fan of exploring fine cheeses and charcuterie, and we’re blessed in St. Louis to have a place that makes some quality charcuterie that gets distributed nationally (http://www.salumebeddu.com/).

Hope you have enough Miralax.

Type II diabetes. Low carb, high fat and protein. And Saxum is fully vinified so there is no sugar!