The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3820
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#1 Post by RyanC » April 2nd, 2020, 12:43 pm

A lot of us here have bought from Flannery or Snake River Farms or 44 Farms or some other high-end steak purveyor that ships. It's probably the most reliable way to get the absolute best steak (although I have also had good luck with certain Houston Whole Foods and also at Central Market).

My question is this: if one wanted to buy the *best* chicken or the *best* pork or the *best* lamb, is there somewhere like Flannery that ships and strives to be the best-of-the-best (i.e., the type of lamb that the top NY/SF/etc restaurants would serve)? D'Artagnan maybe? Who else?

I've been buying chicken, pork, and lamb (and steak and other stuff) from local sustainable farms -- and it's quite good -- I'm just interested in what else is out there, now that we cook every night at home and hate going to the grocery store.

(Yes, I know Flannery sometimes sells pork and lamb, and that it's quite good -- but obviously Bryan's specialty is steak.)
C@ughey

User avatar
Andy Steinman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 630
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 3:56 am
Location: Salem, OR

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#2 Post by Andy Steinman » April 2nd, 2020, 1:13 pm

Not exactly equivilant but I have been extremely happy with D'Artagnan's Green Circle Chicken.

One I'd avoid - Porter Road. Nothing bad, but nothing notable either.
ITB: Partner, Walter Scott Wines, Le Pigeon, Canard, and DigitalPour; Managing Director Metis NW

User avatar
Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3194
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#3 Post by Robert M yers » April 2nd, 2020, 2:33 pm

I posted this in the gourmet thread too, but for pork this is the real deal.

https://ibericousa.com/

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13121
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#4 Post by alan weinberg » April 2nd, 2020, 5:46 pm

d’Artagnan’s shipping costs are crazy. Try pasturebird.com.

User avatar
Andy Steinman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 630
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 3:56 am
Location: Salem, OR

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#5 Post by Andy Steinman » April 2nd, 2020, 6:16 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 5:46 pm
d’Artagnan’s shipping costs are crazy. Try pasturebird.com.
Pasture Bird looks great!
ITB: Partner, Walter Scott Wines, Le Pigeon, Canard, and DigitalPour; Managing Director Metis NW

User avatar
Rick Bollig
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 296
Joined: July 17th, 2014, 10:55 am
Location: North of Denver

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#6 Post by Rick Bollig » April 2nd, 2020, 6:30 pm

Andy Steinman wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 6:16 pm
alan weinberg wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 5:46 pm
d’Artagnan’s shipping costs are crazy. Try pasturebird.com.
Pasture Bird looks great!
I just went and ordered the Reload Colab pack. Gonna give it a shot, thanks for the recommendation.

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15022
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#7 Post by Jay Miller » April 3rd, 2020, 8:43 am

I'm a big fan of the d'Artagnan Green Circle chickens. Looks like I'll have to try Pasture Bird now. The diet looks promising.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

ryancurry
Posts: 828
Joined: May 6th, 2010, 8:46 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#8 Post by ryancurry » April 3rd, 2020, 11:39 am

Pasture Bird is killer. Flannery's lamb is actually fantastic. I haven't found a better source.
itb

User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3820
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#9 Post by RyanC » April 3rd, 2020, 11:40 am

Pasture Bird seems great -- thanks guys. Just ordered a Colab pack.
C@ughey

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 934
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 1:13 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#10 Post by Joe Chanley » April 3rd, 2020, 11:49 am

RyanC wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 11:40 am
Pasture Bird seems great -- thanks guys. Just ordered a Colab pack.
+1

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 3278
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#11 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » April 3rd, 2020, 12:03 pm

For lamb, you're probably looking for Elysian Fields or Lava Lake. Those are both superb, and restaurants who source from them quite rightly brag on their menus. I don't know if they sell to the retail consumer, though it's worth asking.

For me, salt meadow lamb (agneau de pré-salé) is in a category by itself, with the very best coming from Normandy. There was a farm in Canada that was doing pretty well, and which you could source through D'artagnan, but I believe they have shut down that operation.

Honestly, though, if there are local farms doing things right, which it sounds like there are, I urge you continue sourcing from them. It's really hard for the little farms right now with restaurants mostly not buying. We get all our pork, lamb, eggs, chickens and some beef from a couple of local farms who have been very happy for the business.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3820
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#12 Post by RyanC » April 3rd, 2020, 12:04 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 12:03 pm
For lamb, you're probably looking for Elysian Fields or Lava Lake. Those are both superb, and restaurants who source from them quite rightly brag on their menus. I don't know if they sell to the retail consumer, though it's worth asking.

For me, salt meadow lamb (agneau de pré-salé) is in a category by itself, with the very best coming from Normandy. There was a farm in Canada that was doing pretty well, and which you could source through D'artagnan, but I believe they have shut down that operation.

Honestly, though, if there are local farms doing things right, which it sounds like there are, I urge you continue sourcing from them. It's really hard for the little farms right now with restaurants mostly not buying. We get all our pork, lamb, eggs, chickens and some beef from a couple of local farms who have been very happy for the business.
Thanks, Sarah. Great advice. I'm still sourcing mostly from local farms, I will continue to do so, and their stuff is superb. Just getting kind of restless at home and want to explore.
C@ughey

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1418
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 7:33 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#13 Post by Lee Short » April 3rd, 2020, 12:49 pm

Flannery has a "CA Lamb" section on their website. As we like lamb more than beef, I've been there a few times to check in . . . always get "there are no products matching the selection." We've always gone with local farms, and been pretty happy.

Heath Putnam Farms used to sell Mangalitsa pork at Seattle area farmers markets, and it was the best pork I've ever had, truly exceptional. It'd have to be to sell pork chops and steaks at $20/lb and get repeat customers. Sadly, I think they are no longer in business. A quick google indicates that there are a few ranchers selling Mangalitsa now (it was completely unavailable for a few years at retail), and once I have freezer space, I'll be ordering from one of them.

User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3820
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#14 Post by RyanC » April 3rd, 2020, 12:56 pm

Lee Short wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 12:49 pm
Flannery has a "CA Lamb" section on their website. As we like lamb more than beef, I've been there a few times to check in . . . always get "there are no products matching the selection." We've always gone with local farms, and been pretty happy.

Heath Putnam Farms used to sell Mangalitsa pork at Seattle area farmers markets, and it was the best pork I've ever had, truly exceptional. It'd have to be to sell pork chops and steaks at $20/lb and get repeat customers. Sadly, I think they are no longer in business. A quick google indicates that there are a few ranchers selling Mangalitsa now (it was completely unavailable for a few years at retail), and once I have freezer space, I'll be ordering from one of them.
These guys are selling it: https://shopmangalitsa.com/collections/ ... fresh-cuts

But super pricey!
C@ughey

Marc Yamawaki
Posts: 218
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 1:48 am

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#15 Post by Marc Yamawaki » April 3rd, 2020, 1:15 pm

I go to the farmer's market to get fresh chicken. Fortunately I have 2 close to me, Mountain View and Sunnyvale.
The purveyor at Mountain View sells frozen chickens where as the Sunnyvale one has fresh chickens.
I will tell you that there is a big difference (maybe it has to do also with the variety of chickens they sell), especially in texture, between a frozen chicken and fresh one.

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5077
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:15 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#16 Post by Michael Bowden » April 3rd, 2020, 1:31 pm

I've really enjoyed the lamb from Border Springs
http://www.borderspringsfarm.com/
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7104
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#17 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » April 3rd, 2020, 2:32 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 5:46 pm
d’Artagnan’s shipping costs are crazy. Try pasturebird.com.
D’Artagnan had free shipping occasionally. They have a current offer.

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13121
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#18 Post by alan weinberg » April 3rd, 2020, 3:03 pm

RyanC wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 12:56 pm
Lee Short wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 12:49 pm
Flannery has a "CA Lamb" section on their website. As we like lamb more than beef, I've been there a few times to check in . . . always get "there are no products matching the selection." We've always gone with local farms, and been pretty happy.

Heath Putnam Farms used to sell Mangalitsa pork at Seattle area farmers markets, and it was the best pork I've ever had, truly exceptional. It'd have to be to sell pork chops and steaks at $20/lb and get repeat customers. Sadly, I think they are no longer in business. A quick google indicates that there are a few ranchers selling Mangalitsa now (it was completely unavailable for a few years at retail), and once I have freezer space, I'll be ordering from one of them.
These guys are selling it: https://shopmangalitsa.com/collections/ ... fresh-cuts

But super pricey!
just ordered some. Won’t have to worry re Coronavirus. Wife will kill me.

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1418
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 7:33 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#19 Post by Lee Short » April 3rd, 2020, 6:26 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 3:03 pm
RyanC wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 12:56 pm
Lee Short wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 12:49 pm
Flannery has a "CA Lamb" section on their website. As we like lamb more than beef, I've been there a few times to check in . . . always get "there are no products matching the selection." We've always gone with local farms, and been pretty happy.

Heath Putnam Farms used to sell Mangalitsa pork at Seattle area farmers markets, and it was the best pork I've ever had, truly exceptional. It'd have to be to sell pork chops and steaks at $20/lb and get repeat customers. Sadly, I think they are no longer in business. A quick google indicates that there are a few ranchers selling Mangalitsa now (it was completely unavailable for a few years at retail), and once I have freezer space, I'll be ordering from one of them.
These guys are selling it: https://shopmangalitsa.com/collections/ ... fresh-cuts

But super pricey!
just ordered some. Won’t have to worry re Coronavirus. Wife will kill me.
What's the deal with shipping? I can't see any info on shipping on their site at all.

Yeah, pricey, more so than what I used to buy in Seattle. But not vastly more expensive. Hopefully top notch meat. Alan, you'll have to let us know once you've tried some.

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5153
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#20 Post by Andrew Kotowski » April 3rd, 2020, 9:55 pm

If you’re on the west coast, try https://tailsandtrotters.com/
Instagram at @akgrill

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1796
Joined: April 11th, 2010, 10:58 am
Location: NYC

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#21 Post by Michael Sopher » April 4th, 2020, 8:08 am

I get the Green Circle chickens at my local Fairway Market and as they are more expensive they are nearly always there even in the pandemic.

For the time being, Happy Valley Meat which usually supplies top restaurants is selling to the public
Shop.happyvalleymeat.com
Last edited by Michael Sopher on April 5th, 2020, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris L
Posts: 64
Joined: September 1st, 2016, 3:47 am

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#22 Post by Chris L » April 4th, 2020, 5:19 pm

A website I have ordered a lot from: www.crowdcow.com

They have expanded from beef into pork, chicken, and seafood.

Pasturebird is one of the farms they use. Everything has been delicious!
...andon

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#23 Post by George Hejna » April 5th, 2020, 8:22 am

Joe Chanley wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 11:49 am
RyanC wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 11:40 am
Pasture Bird seems great -- thanks guys. Just ordered a Colab pack.
+1
+2. Thanks for the recommendation.

George

User avatar
John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 948
Joined: February 26th, 2009, 8:40 am

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#24 Post by John Webber » April 5th, 2020, 12:05 pm

I've enjoyed the Poulet Rouge Fermier from https://joyce-farms.com/ They have expanded into other meats as well and I would happily order anything they think is worthy.

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13121
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#25 Post by alan weinberg » April 9th, 2020, 9:21 am

Andy Steinman wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 1:13 pm
Not exactly equivilant but I have been extremely happy with D'Artagnan's Green Circle Chicken.
ordered the 6 chicken special for $120 but the shipping was over $50 so I deleted the order. Each time those stupid shipping costs keep me from completing the order.

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 934
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 1:13 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#26 Post by Joe Chanley » April 9th, 2020, 9:23 am

alan weinberg wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:21 am
Andy Steinman wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 1:13 pm
Not exactly equivilant but I have been extremely happy with D'Artagnan's Green Circle Chicken.
ordered the 6 chicken special for $120 but the shipping was over $50 so I deleted the order. Each time those stupid shipping costs keep me from completing the order.
+1

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13121
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#27 Post by alan weinberg » April 9th, 2020, 9:52 am

Joe Chanley wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:23 am
alan weinberg wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:21 am
Andy Steinman wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 1:13 pm
Not exactly equivilant but I have been extremely happy with D'Artagnan's Green Circle Chicken.
ordered the 6 chicken special for $120 but the shipping was over $50 so I deleted the order. Each time those stupid shipping costs keep me from completing the order.
+1
yet Hudson Valley Foie Gras and similar companies can have free shipping specials and evidently still make money . . . while D’Artagnan charges high shipping rates.

User avatar
ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1777
Joined: December 19th, 2009, 12:13 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#28 Post by ClarkstonMark » April 9th, 2020, 9:57 am

alan weinberg wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:52 am
Joe Chanley wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:23 am
alan weinberg wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:21 am
ordered the 6 chicken special for $120 but the shipping was over $50 so I deleted the order. Each time those stupid shipping costs keep me from completing the order.
+1
yet Hudson Valley Foie Gras and similar companies can have free shipping specials and evidently still make money . . . while D’Artagnan charges high shipping rates.
Would you order if it was 6 chicken for $175 w/ free shipping?
[snort.gif]
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13121
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#29 Post by alan weinberg » April 9th, 2020, 10:10 am

ClarkstonMark wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:57 am
Would you order if it was 6 chicken for $175 w/ free shipping?
[snort.gif]
no, but I’d order if there were a minimum $ spend (to ensure their profit) w free shipping.

TGigante
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 507
Joined: January 26th, 2013, 3:11 pm
Location: BURGHen County, NJ

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#30 Post by TGigante » April 9th, 2020, 10:32 am

alan weinberg wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 10:10 am
ClarkstonMark wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:57 am
Would you order if it was 6 chicken for $175 w/ free shipping?
[snort.gif]
no, but I’d order if there were a minimum $ spend (to ensure their profit) w free shipping.
Kind of have to do your own math to see how much spend it makes sense to make the shipping economics work
Flannery charges $40 to ship to east coast so you need a mental break even. Ordering 2 or even 6 steaks won’t do it
Cheers,
Tony

Douglas Breen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 286
Joined: September 1st, 2010, 2:51 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#31 Post by Douglas Breen » April 9th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Chris L wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 5:19 pm
A website I have ordered a lot from: www.crowdcow.com

They have expanded from beef into pork, chicken, and seafood.

Pasturebird is one of the farms they use. Everything has been delicious!
Thank you for this. Great selection of meat. Their inventory changes quickly- if they don’t have it, they may in a few hours. Lobster tails, whole chicken, wings and various beef. Free shipping if $150. Delivered in a couple days.

Ordered from Pasturebird. Website stated 1-3 weeks. Hope it comes in a couple more weeks.

Thanks for making life better!

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7104
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#32 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » April 9th, 2020, 1:31 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:52 am
Joe Chanley wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:23 am
alan weinberg wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:21 am
ordered the 6 chicken special for $120 but the shipping was over $50 so I deleted the order. Each time those stupid shipping costs keep me from completing the order.
+1
yet Hudson Valley Foie Gras and similar companies can have free shipping specials and evidently still make money . . . while D’Artagnan charges high shipping rates.
I’ve ordered from D’Artagnan with free shipping. I assume it’s not offered frequently.

User avatar
Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1537
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 10:34 am

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#33 Post by Ethan Abraham » April 10th, 2020, 3:46 am

Only relevant for a few people here but d'artagnan is now doing weekly free home delivery for certain towns in NJ.
http://homedelivery.dartagnan.com/

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 934
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 1:13 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#34 Post by Joe Chanley » April 10th, 2020, 11:29 am

Ethan Abraham wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 3:46 am
Only relevant for a few people here but d'artagnan is now doing weekly free home delivery for certain towns in NJ.
http://homedelivery.dartagnan.com/
what a random selection of towns

User avatar
Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1537
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 10:34 am

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#35 Post by Ethan Abraham » April 10th, 2020, 11:49 am

Joe Chanley wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 11:29 am
Ethan Abraham wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 3:46 am
Only relevant for a few people here but d'artagnan is now doing weekly free home delivery for certain towns in NJ.
http://homedelivery.dartagnan.com/
what a random selection of towns
I would bet they can add nearby towns if people request...who knows. Mine's there though...duck for dinner next week!

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7104
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#36 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » April 10th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Joe Chanley wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 11:29 am
Ethan Abraham wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 3:46 am
Only relevant for a few people here but d'artagnan is now doing weekly free home delivery for certain towns in NJ.
http://homedelivery.dartagnan.com/
what a random selection of towns
For sure, Medford is SNJ. It’s 1 hour, 15 minutes from Union. The demographics would fit the d’artagan customer profile. I’m guessing these are the towns with the most orders.

User avatar
H Wallace Jr
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 2008
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 7:19 pm
Location: Napa, CA

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#37 Post by H Wallace Jr » April 10th, 2020, 4:08 pm

Another source for great duck is Liberty Duck
http://www.libertyducks.com

They were wholesale only but now ship all over. For Bay area and N. Bay folks they provide local delivery.

The French Laundry, Manresa, Zuni, Chez Panisse, Restaurant at Meadowood, Per Se, Daniel, etc... all use their ducks.
Hardy Wallace itb
Dirty and Rowdy Family Winery: Mourvèdre and Semillon Together at Last

Jason Crawford
Posts: 229
Joined: January 16th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#38 Post by Jason Crawford » April 10th, 2020, 4:28 pm

I used to get cold smoked frenched pork racks from Dean and Deluca. They were amazing. If I recall they were Niman Ranch. Anyone know of any sources?

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5354
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#39 Post by George Hejna » April 12th, 2020, 6:37 am

FYI I got an email from pasturebird.com that said they are running 1-3 weeks behind on orders as they are so busy.

Good for them!

George

User avatar
Stan Y.
Posts: 643
Joined: March 13th, 2013, 4:47 am

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#40 Post by Stan Y. » April 12th, 2020, 7:12 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 12:03 pm
For lamb, you're probably looking for Elysian Fields or Lava Lake. Those are both superb, and restaurants who source from them quite rightly brag on their menus.
Thanks for the suggestion, we're having Elysian Fields loin for dinner tonight. The surprise to me was how beautiful foreshanks with part of the shoulder were.
S. Y @ t € s

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13121
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#41 Post by alan weinberg » April 18th, 2020, 8:02 am

RyanC wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 12:56 pm
Lee Short wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 12:49 pm
Flannery has a "CA Lamb" section on their website. As we like lamb more than beef, I've been there a few times to check in . . . always get "there are no products matching the selection." We've always gone with local farms, and been pretty happy.

Heath Putnam Farms used to sell Mangalitsa pork at Seattle area farmers markets, and it was the best pork I've ever had, truly exceptional. It'd have to be to sell pork chops and steaks at $20/lb and get repeat customers. Sadly, I think they are no longer in business. A quick google indicates that there are a few ranchers selling Mangalitsa now (it was completely unavailable for a few years at retail), and once I have freezer space, I'll be ordering from one of them.
These guys are selling it: https://shopmangalitsa.com/collections/ ... fresh-cuts

But super pricey!
25% off now with coupon code Delicious

User avatar
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3820
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 4:20 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#42 Post by RyanC » April 18th, 2020, 8:05 am

alan weinberg wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 8:02 am
RyanC wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 12:56 pm
Lee Short wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 12:49 pm
Flannery has a "CA Lamb" section on their website. As we like lamb more than beef, I've been there a few times to check in . . . always get "there are no products matching the selection." We've always gone with local farms, and been pretty happy.

Heath Putnam Farms used to sell Mangalitsa pork at Seattle area farmers markets, and it was the best pork I've ever had, truly exceptional. It'd have to be to sell pork chops and steaks at $20/lb and get repeat customers. Sadly, I think they are no longer in business. A quick google indicates that there are a few ranchers selling Mangalitsa now (it was completely unavailable for a few years at retail), and once I have freezer space, I'll be ordering from one of them.
These guys are selling it: https://shopmangalitsa.com/collections/ ... fresh-cuts

But super pricey!
25% off now with coupon code Delicious
Have you tried it yet? I'm interested...
C@ughey

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13121
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#43 Post by alan weinberg » April 18th, 2020, 8:13 am

RyanC wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 8:05 am
alan weinberg wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 8:02 am
RyanC wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 12:56 pm


These guys are selling it: https://shopmangalitsa.com/collections/ ... fresh-cuts

But super pricey!
25% off now with coupon code Delicious
Have you tried it yet? I'm interested...
no. On tap for this week.

Christine Huang
Posts: 307
Joined: August 31st, 2009, 9:54 am
Location: NY

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#44 Post by Christine Huang » April 28th, 2020, 1:02 pm

For those in NY & CT, Fleisher’s Craft Butchery carries a Finger Lakes Pasture Raised Chicken that blows the Green Circle Chicken away. We love it. When you order, make sure you get the right one as they also carry Green Circle. Their pork and beef are excellent too.

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5535
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 9:02 am

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#45 Post by Siun o'Connell » April 28th, 2020, 2:10 pm

Jason Crawford wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 4:28 pm
I used to get cold smoked frenched pork racks from Dean and Deluca. They were amazing. If I recall they were Niman Ranch. Anyone know of any sources?
Plum Market in Chicago and Ann Arbor carry Niman as their normal beef offering. Not sure if they ship.

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1418
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 7:33 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#46 Post by Lee Short » April 28th, 2020, 3:54 pm

Anything to report, Alan?

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13121
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#47 Post by alan weinberg » April 28th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Lee Short wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 3:54 pm
Anything to report, Alan?
havent cooked pork yet. Too many other leftovers.

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 934
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 1:13 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#48 Post by Joe Chanley » April 29th, 2020, 6:30 am

Joe Chanley wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:23 am
alan weinberg wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:21 am
Andy Steinman wrote:
April 2nd, 2020, 1:13 pm
Not exactly equivilant but I have been extremely happy with D'Artagnan's Green Circle Chicken.
ordered the 6 chicken special for $120 but the shipping was over $50 so I deleted the order. Each time those stupid shipping costs keep me from completing the order.
+1
This still hasn't shipped. Reached out after 3 weeks of radio silence and got this response....Your order will be fulfilled within the next two weeks. We have paused all online orders so we can catch up on all pending orders we have. Therefore, your order will be fulfilled in the next two weeks when we will be fulfilling all current orders. We have been getting an influx of orders in due to COVID-19. If you would no longer like to continue to wait for your order, let me know and I can help cancel and refund your order. I hope you and your loved ones are staying healthy and safe during this time.

User avatar
Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1073
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#49 Post by Betty C » May 5th, 2020, 3:26 pm

I started buying Stepladder Ranch pork chops at the farmers market because it saved me a trip to the regular supermarket/butcher shop. They’re some of the best pork I’ve ever had that wasn’t Iberico. The pigs are free-range and fed avocados and whey. The meat is beautifully marbled and flavorful as a result. Comes frozen, and I don’t think it affects the quality one bit. The only downside is that all their chops don’t match up at all, so if you buy four then all four are completely different shapes and degrees of fattiness.

They’re at SF Bay Area farmers markets, but you can contact them via their website to see where else it’s available.
https://www.stepladdercreamery.com/about/farm
Ch00

“Woke White” - M Hudson

User avatar
Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1537
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 10:34 am

Re: The "Flannery" for Chicken? Or Pork? Or Lamb?

#50 Post by Ethan Abraham » May 5th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Christine Huang wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 1:02 pm
For those in NY & CT, Fleisher’s Craft Butchery carries a Finger Lakes Pasture Raised Chicken that blows the Green Circle Chicken away. We love it. When you order, make sure you get the right one as they also carry Green Circle. Their pork and beef are excellent too.
Fleischers lamb is ridiculous too.

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”