Quarantine Recipes - share some favorites!

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Quarantine Recipes - share some favorites!

#1 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 17th, 2020, 9:03 am

With most of the country on some form of quarantine, there's far more time to cook. Normally I run through a list of 15-20 'favorites' at home, but there's so much more time, I'd like to explore some new options. Food availability is limited, however, so that adds another tricky angle.

What's everyone cooking during the quarantine?? I'd love some ideas!
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Quarantine Recipes - share some favorites!

#2 Post by David K o l i n » March 17th, 2020, 10:39 am

I made a huge pot of vegetable soup over the weekend (carrots, celery, onion, fennel bulb, potato, green beans, garbanzos, frozen corn, frozen peas, lacinto kale, red bell pepper, Parmesan rinds, Rosemary, small pasta, parsley, and 3 quarts of vegetable broth). Doesn’t take too long and the family will feed off it for a week.

Supplementing with Flannery hanger steak tonight for the meat eaters

M Passo
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by M Passo » March 17th, 2020, 10:52 am

I'm making lots of things to freeze. We're self quarantined and expect more than 2 weeks of food necessary. Can't have too much Flannery hanger steak, but the Instant pot has been busy with chicken and rice soup and black beans. A couple of extra proofed pizza dough went to bacon/carmelized onion/gruyere pizzas for freezer. Also made some hummus which freezes well. Had some defrosted chicken thighs which went into hunter chicken and frozen as well. Add to pasta or rice and it stretches well. Had large bag of carrots so made carrot puree today for the freezer as well. Frozen in Oregon---Mike
"All her friends in school were non-comformists, so she became a non-conformist too" Austin Lounge Lizards
Mike Passo

William Segui
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by William Segui » March 17th, 2020, 11:17 am

This has been a winner at my house - easy, delicious and freezes easily.

https://www.wellplated.com/crock-pot-mexican-casserole/

Victor Hong

The joy of home cooking. Your favorite recipes?

#5 Post by Victor Hong » March 17th, 2020, 9:04 pm

I love to make eggplant stew, bean soup, stovetop thin pizza, and omelet.
WineHunter.

Victor Hong

Re: The joy of home cooking. Your favorite recipes?

#6 Post by Victor Hong » March 18th, 2020, 6:22 am

Pizza for lunch.
WineHunter.

T@ntina A

#7 Post by T@ntina A » March 18th, 2020, 6:52 am

I am a bbq nerd and this is my go to rub recipe. I love using it on St Louis style ribs, and you can have it with or without your favorite sauce.
Also fantastic on chicken and pork.

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/ ... s-Dry-Rub/

T@ntina A

#8 Post by T@ntina A » March 18th, 2020, 6:55 am

Victor Hong wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 9:04 pm
I love to make eggplant stew, bean soup, stovetop thin pizza, and omelet.
What is stovetop thin pizza?

Victor Hong

#9 Post by Victor Hong » March 18th, 2020, 7:34 am

• Grease a shallow, non-stick pan lightly with butter or oil.
• Grease both sides of either an aluminum foil or parchment paper disc, fitted to at least the pan rim.
• Spread a thin layer of raw pizza dough onto the foil or paper disc. Brush the top lightly with oil.
• Place face upward, disc downward, into the unheated pan.
• Then apply only medium heat.
• After the dough has cooked enough to set the top, flip it over---directly now onto the pan---and strip off the foil or paper disc (save in freezer for re-use!!!!!!).
• Turn up the heat to high, until browned and crispy on one side.
• Flip over, dress lightly with pre-cooked, pre-heated sauce or toppings of your choice.
• When the second side is browned and crispy, slide onto a plate, and cut with scissors.

I taught Jay Hack this technique, applicable on a Big Green Egg. If my noodle shop ever re-opens, I may start selling these pizzas.
Last edited by Victor Hong on March 19th, 2020, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WineHunter.

Victor Hong

#10 Post by Victor Hong » March 18th, 2020, 9:15 am

Steps.
Attachments
9E047584-2F80-4BAD-BACB-26ED07F700E6.jpeg
DF310CBA-4674-4225-BFF9-0A28271EE8C4.jpeg
91323BE9-C48F-41F6-81DB-A2026DCBB3C3.jpeg
05B547FD-7195-4915-8687-405684B2EE71.jpeg
WineHunter.

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#11 Post by Todd F r e n c h » March 18th, 2020, 9:34 am

Doesn't belong in Asylum - we have a forum for this, and I'll merge the threads
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Chris Blum » March 18th, 2020, 9:54 am

Risotto with little smoked bay scallops from the freezer (Simple yet Died and went to heaven good)

Pizza in a cast iron pan (similar to victor above, but here’s a linky... )
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Brandon R » March 18th, 2020, 12:06 pm

We love a hearty pot of green lentils:

-In a large pot, sweat a classic mirepoix (finely diced carrot, onion, celery)
-When soft, add two heads of minced garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes
-Add in green lentils and enough ham stock* to cover
-Cover and gently boil until lentils are tender (about 20 minutes)
-Add browned, sliced kielbasa, picked ham meat (below) and large pieces of washed kale
-Cover, and cook just until kale is wilted and soft
-Serve with crusty bread

*Boil two smoked ham hocks with water, carrot, celery, onion, bay leaf, parsley, and peppercorns for 2-3 hours. Remove ham hocks and pick off meat and reserve. Strain the liquid.
B. Redman

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by David K o l i n » March 18th, 2020, 12:08 pm

Shashouka for family brunch today

Sarah Kirschbaum

#15 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 18th, 2020, 12:22 pm

This is a great time to do large roasts, because you'll be home to eat the leftovers. Pork roast, pork shoulder, leg of lamb and lamb shoulder have been our go to cuts. A nice rub, a nice roast or braise or time in the pressure cooker, with aromatics that have been plentiful in the grocery (at least here), and we have dinner for two for at least two nights, plus a couple of lunches.

I can't eat legumes or pulses, so we can't do any bean or lentil dishes, but soups are a must. Love chicken and escarole, plus here is a fantastic lamb neck and cauliflower soup - a variation on a Chinese lamb and mung bean dish. We love this because the flavors are a delicious change, it makes a lot, and lamb necks are very inexpensive. Enjoy!

CHINESE LAMB NECK AND CAULIFLOWER SOUP
Here is our soup method, as developed over a couple of years. It makes a VERY large pot, so feel free to reduce it. All amounts are “ish” – you can adjust as you like.

Grate a 4” piece of ginger and 6 cloves garlic into a large pot with some oil (less oil if your pot is non-stick, more if it’s not) and cook a few minutes to aromatize the oil. Any end pieces of garlic and ginger can get minced and put in as well. Remove from pot and set aside.

Brown meat in the same pot – roughly 6 lbs lamb necks and two pounds of very well-trimmed shoulder, as well as a couple of bones from the shoulder if your butcher will supply. Brown about 5 minutes. The necks we get are split both vertically and horizontally, which gives you more access to the meat and collagen in between. This cut is ideal, but you won’t lose much if they aren’t split so much. Higher quality lamb makes no difference in this soup, we’ve found, and more expensive cuts are not as good. The necks are essential for the gelatin etc. The shoulder fills it out and adds some depth of flavor.

Add 7 quarts of water, 3 star anise, ¼ C of soy sauce, ¼ C whisky or brandy, a bit more salt and bring to a simmer, skimming throughout. Continue to simmer for 1-2 hours, skimming as needed, depending on how soft you want the lamb and if you want it falling off the bones. We like closer to 1 hour, as we like picking up the bones and working the meat off. At 2 hours, the necks are almost completely falling apart, which is better for people afraid of bones (most Americans!). The nature of the necks is such that you’ll get the extraction you need with an hour.

While the meat is simmering, dry toast 1-2 T Sichuan peppercorns until fragrant and visibly smoking, but not charring, and set aside to cool. You can do a larger batch and keep in an air tight container, but the flavor is best if they are toasted right before. Once cool, run the toasted peppercorns through a spice grinder. Don't make the mistake of using a coffee grinder, as the powder lingers!

Remove meat and bones from the pot and add 2 medium heads of cauliflower, rough chopped, plus 2 chopped jalapeno peppers and 1 habanero pepper (to taste). Add in the ground toasted peppercorns. Simmer about 10 minutes.

Using an immersion blender, puree the liquid and vegetables until rough, not fine. Note, you can skip this step, and just leave the vegetables at the size you chop them to. You can also simmer the vegetables with the bones and get more flavor extraction, but less intact pieces.

Add back in the meat, necks, the sautéed grated garlic and ginger, 1 peeled and chopped medium daikon and cook a few more minutes.

At this point, you can serve, or you can cool overnight and skim the fat off the next day, as you like. Though the fat removal is entirely a personal choice, this soup gets better and better as it sits. So definitely make a large pot and eat it over several days.

Serve with chopped cilantro on top. We also put in some Taiwanese pepper paste with good flavor for a bit more heat. Choose any condiments you like.

***Edited to add that this freezes VERY well.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Victor Hong

#16 Post by Victor Hong » March 18th, 2020, 1:08 pm

Any recipe for real (safe) 'merican lamb? pileon newhere
WineHunter.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by AlexS » March 18th, 2020, 5:42 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 9:34 am
Doesn't belong in Asylum - we have a forum for this, and I'll merge the threads
Wait...does this mean you mod-shamed yourself?? [wow.gif] neener
s t e w @ r t

Phil Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Phil Smith » March 18th, 2020, 6:02 pm

I’m looking for some ridiculously complex recipes to kill some time. Maybe some mole or something. Here’s my posole today... finding hominy was not so easy. Never thought I would say that.
Attachments
818C5E7A-0953-40AF-8C27-EEF2A6205A0A.jpeg

Lee Short
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Lee Short » March 18th, 2020, 9:37 pm

For dinner tonight, I made risotto with tinned tuna, artichoke hearts from a jar, lemons, and stock made from crab shells that have been in the freezer a couple of months. Would probably be serviceable with good chicken or vegetable stock.

Victor Hong

#20 Post by Victor Hong » March 20th, 2020, 5:18 am

Chris Blum wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 9:54 am
Risotto with little smoked bay scallops from the freezer (Simple yet Died and went to heaven good)

Pizza in a cast iron pan (similar to victor above, but here’s a linky... )
Because my much simpler approach does not bake the pizza in the oven, it works fine during the summer, when someone wishes not to heat up the entire kitchen.
WineHunter.

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » March 20th, 2020, 7:42 am

The 'Serves: 8' is dependent on your being Victor or not. Actually, more like 24 if Victor. neener

Beef Daube

* Serves: 8
*Ingredients:*
4 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, excess fat trimmed, meat cut into 2-inch cubes
1 750-ml bottle of dry red wine
3 medium carrots, peeled, cut into large pieces
1 large onion, quartered
8 fresh thyme sprigs
2 garlic cloves, halved
2 bay leaves
1 large fresh rosemary sprig
1 4x1-inch strip orange peel (orange part only)
2 ounces pancetta or bacon, finely chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
5 tablespoons all purpose flour
Chopped fresh parsley

*Instructions:* Combine first 9 ingredients in large bowl. Cover and let stand at room temperature 2 hours. Remove beef from marinade; pat dry. Reserve marinade.

Cook pancetta in large pot over medium-low heat until fat is rendered, 5 minutes. Add chopped onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is ètranslucent, 6 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.

Heat oil in same pot over high heat. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Working in batches, add beef to pot; cook until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer to bowl with pancetta mixture. Reduce heat to medium-high. Add flour to pot. Whisk until flour browns, about 4 minutes. Gradually whisk in reserved marinade. Bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Add beef mixture and any accumulated juices to pot. Cover tightly; simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
Uncover; simmer until meat is very tender and liquid is reduced to sauce consistency, about 45 minutes longer. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate.) Spoon fat off top of daube. Remove carrots, quartered onion, herb sprigs, bay leaves and peel and discard. Bring daube to simmer, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley.
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by David K o l i n » March 20th, 2020, 7:47 am

So, that turned out OK, RPS? Two halves garlic cloves doesn’t sound nearly enough

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » March 20th, 2020, 8:16 am

Yeah, I upped it on the garlic to 5 cloves, and tripled the orange. Noms.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Brandon R » March 20th, 2020, 8:41 am

Is that pronounced like the name of the House Elf in Harry Potter? (DAW-bee)
B. Redman

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » March 20th, 2020, 8:54 am

doughb

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by J a y H a c k » March 20th, 2020, 8:59 pm

I just made a huge pot of Ropa Viella. 4 pounds flat cut brisket, two thin sliced (with mandoline) large yellow onions, one each thin sliced red and yellow peppers, 8 cloves garlic, one can tomato chunks, one can roasted tomato chunk, fresh ground cumin, fresh ground red, green and black pepper, sweet paprika, just a bit of cayenne, one dried guaillo pepper, about a third of a tube of Italian tomato paste, tsp kosher salt, dried oregano, and about 6 ounces of left over 2002 Las Rocas Grenache that was lost in the basement of Mortons for a few years. Cook in the oven at 250 for about 9 hours. take off the fat cap on the side, shred the meat back into the sauce and put in the refrigerator. Reheat tomorrow. Always better on the second day.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Sh@n A » March 20th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Comte mushroom grilled cheese...

Sliced and saute mushrooms (I used the baby bellas) with diced onion and garlic. Add a splash of red sherry vinegar to taste. Stir in thyme if available. Mix in some of your comte to make a little creamy. Spoon onto slice of buttered bread (butter facing outside). Added more cheese. Put on the other slice of buttered bread (facing outside). Cook the bread on both sides.

Paired well with a red burg (given comte... mushrooms... bread...). Now that I am out of mushrooms... will try a comte grilled cheese...
/ @ g r @ \

T@ntina A

#28 Post by T@ntina A » March 21st, 2020, 6:02 am

Victor Hong wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 7:34 am
• Grease both sides of either an aluminum foil or parchment paper disc, fitted to at least the pan rim.
• Spread a thin layer of raw pizza dough onto the foil or paper disc. Brush the top lightly with oil.
• After the dough has cooked enough to set the top, flip it over---directly now onto the pan---and strip off the foil or paper disc (save in freezer for re-use!!!!!!).
• Flip over, dress lightly with pre-cooked, pre-heated sauce or toppings of your choice.
• When the second side is browned and crispy, slide onto a plate, and cut with scissors.

I taught Jay Hack this technique, applicable on a Big Green Egg. If my noodle shop ever re-opens, I may start selling these pizzas.

That looks great, thank you for sharing. I will need to try it!

Victor Hong

#29 Post by Victor Hong » March 21st, 2020, 9:41 am

T@ntina A wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 6:02 am
Victor Hong wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 7:34 am

That looks great, thank you for sharing. I will need to try it!
Because the pizza dough has been greased and cooked to a partial set before directly touching the pan, this stove-top technique can achieve a very crisp crust, without the risk of sticking or the hassle of over-heating an entire kitchen. My suggestion is to use a dough which has been made within the past day, so that the pizza crust remains light and airy.
WineHunter.

Alex N

#30 Post by Alex N » March 21st, 2020, 9:14 pm

Cast iron pizza
Last edited by Alex N on April 15th, 2020, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@13x N1ch•!z

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by dcornutt » March 22nd, 2020, 7:58 am

William Segui wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 11:17 am

I made this for lunch today. I have sampled it. It is spectacular. The only changes I made was lean beef for turkey (we can't get the turkey due to craziness) and I made my own black beans with Rancho Gordo Achoyte heirloom blacks from Oaxaca with a little sofrito from Goya. Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by dcornutt » March 22nd, 2020, 8:42 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 8:59 pm
I just made a huge pot of Ropa Viella. 4 pounds flat cut brisket, two thin sliced (with mandoline) large yellow onions, one each thin sliced red and yellow peppers, 8 cloves garlic, one can tomato chunks, one can roasted tomato chunk, fresh ground cumin, fresh ground red, green and black pepper, sweet paprika, just a bit of cayenne, one dried guaillo pepper, about a third of a tube of Italian tomato paste, tsp kosher salt, dried oregano, and about 6 ounces of left over 2002 Las Rocas Grenache that was lost in the basement of Mortons for a few years. Cook in the oven at 250 for about 9 hours. take off the fat cap on the side, shred the meat back into the sauce and put in the refrigerator. Reheat tomorrow. Always better on the second day.
Yummy!
Thanks.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Robert M yers » March 22nd, 2020, 1:12 pm

William Segui wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 11:17 am

Ive got this going in the crock pot right now, my first ever one pot dish!

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Betty C » March 22nd, 2020, 4:45 pm

I had some rice left over, so I made a dashi broth and now I have congee. Will finish it with thousand-year-old egg and pork before serving.

For the dashi broth, soak kombu overnight, heat until just before it comes to a boil, then remove the kombu. Let the liquid cool off before adding bonito flakes, bring to a boil for 30 seconds, then strain.

While the broth is cooling after you remove the kombu, slice some lean pork into bite-sized pieces and marinate with salt, white pepper, and a little vegetable oil.

Add leftover rice to the dashi broth (1 part rice to two parts liquid) and simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until your desired consistency.

Cut up the egg and add it with the pork to the congee. When the pork is done, so are you!
Ch00

“Woke White” - M Hudson

Jeff Twersky

#35 Post by Jeff Twersky » March 23rd, 2020, 8:45 pm

Made kimchee soondubu jjigae (spicy kimchee soft tofu soup) tonight. There are lots of recipes online, and it is easy to make. I don't have anchovy broth, so we substitute vegetable or other broth, depending on what is in the cupboard. If you like spicy food, this is for you.

Richard Albert

#36 Post by Richard Albert » March 25th, 2020, 1:38 pm

Sheepshead Shrooms
Serve this on pasta, or rice, or top your fav grilled meat, or on tasted sourdough Oh my!

1 lb Maitakis--can mix with criminis is so desired.
2 TBS oil
2TBS butter
1/4 C finely chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 C beef or chicken stock
Splash of red wine.
Sprinkle of grated Pecorino or Parm
Parsley for garnish

Brown onion and garlic in butter and oil less about 5 mins.
Break down maitaki mass into 2" long narrow pieces (coarsely chop ciminis) and add to browned onion and garlic with stock and wine,
Simmer for about 10 mins until liquid is reduced, leaving adequate liquid for topping pasta, drier for topping meats
Salt and pepper to taste.
ITB

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by AlexS » March 25th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Air fryer 5 spice wings:

2 lb chicken wings (flats/drummies)
1 cup corn starch
5 spice powder
Garlic powder
Salt
Pepper

Place wings onto a baking sheet, pat w/paper towel on each side to remove excess moisture. Sprinkle moderate amount of 5 spice powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper over wings, flip and repeat. Put corn starch into a mixing bowl, dredge wings in batches and shake off excess. Place coated wings into air fryer basket and cook for 25-30 minutes @ 350F-400F, shake basket 2-3 times during cooking process (I have a Phillips air fryer, usually do 25 minutes at 350F and then switch to 400F for final 3-5 minutes to crisp up). Remove wings from air fryer and allow to cool for 8-10 minutes.

Korean-style glaze (not my recipe but slightly modified):

1/2-2/3 cup soy sauce
3 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp Gochujang paste (sub Asian-style red chili paste if you can't source)
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (or more to taste)

While the wings are cooking, set chopped cilantro aside and combine all other glaze ingredients into a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk together, raise heat to high and bring to a boil; quickly lower heat and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Once wings have cooled, place into a mixing bowl. In batches, pour glaze over wings and toss until coated. Repeat with chopped cilantro. Serve immediately as is or accompany w/ranch, blue cheese dressing and/or favorite dipping sauce.
s t e w @ r t

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Quarantine Recipes - share some favorites

#38 Post by Brian Tuite » March 25th, 2020, 7:54 pm

A tasty Chili that’s simple and quick. (Chili and bean arguers can start a new thread)

Chili Stew

1lb+ lean ground beef
Medium onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1-1/2 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp pepper
1 Tsp Chili powder
1/2 Tsp Celery salt
1/8 - 1/4 Tsp Cayenne depending in taste
Big pinch of Thyme
Big pinch of Marjoram
14oz can ready cut tomatoes
1 can Kidney beans (do not drain)

Saute onion and garlic in butter until soft, add meat and brown, add spices and stir then add beans and tomatoes. Simmer 30 minutes minimum. Serve over white rice with crusty French Bread.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#39 Post by Nola Palomar » March 26th, 2020, 4:35 am

Going to dust off that bread machine.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP

Victor Hong

#40 Post by Victor Hong » March 26th, 2020, 6:45 am

Nola Palomar wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 4:35 am
Same here. Mixing bowl, wooden spoon, flour, yeast, and water.
WineHunter.

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Brandon R » March 26th, 2020, 8:44 am

Victor Hong wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 6:45 am
Nola Palomar wrote:
Didn't take you long to get up on that high horse, did it Victor?
B. Redman

Victor Hong

#42 Post by Victor Hong » March 26th, 2020, 8:51 am

Brandon R wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 8:44 am
Victor Hong wrote:
Nola Palomar wrote:
Same modest equipment and ingredients, for the past thirty years.

Horse? Where? We can sell as meat soon.
WineHunter.

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#43 Post by Nola Palomar » March 26th, 2020, 1:11 pm

[stirthepothal.gif] Believe me, I’d much prefer to make it myself, but since I am working at the warehouse I can’t very well do that. [berserker.gif] [berserker.gif]
Nola
ITB

Veleta
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by David K o l i n » March 26th, 2020, 1:26 pm

[winner.gif]
Victor Hong wrote:
Nola Palomar wrote:
Mixing bowl, hands, flour, yeast, water And bench scraper

Victor Hong

#45 Post by Victor Hong » March 26th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Made dough as such for aforementioned pizza.
WineHunter.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by J a y H a c k » March 26th, 2020, 2:24 pm

Smoked Pork Shoulder with Salsa Verde:

Remove half of a smoked pork butt from freezer that was left over from God knows when and thaw.

Take about 12 ounces of tomatillos, 1-1/2 large yellow onions and 6 cloves garlic. Put in greased iron fry pan and roast in oven at 450 until they start to brown. Deglaze pan and then let cool. Puree all contents including the deglaze liquid in blender.

Remove bones and any remaining fat and other crud (an official term) from the pork and put it in enamel casserole. Pour Salsa Verde on top. Bake in oven at 350 for about an hour. Add about a half cup of cream to the cooked stuff because there's not enough liquid. Add some salt because you forgot. Stir. Serve either over rice or topped by fresh made coleslaw.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Victor Hong

#47 Post by Victor Hong » March 26th, 2020, 5:45 pm

Brandon R wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 8:44 am
Victor Hong wrote:
Nola Palomar wrote:
Of course, I then baked the dough in my regular oven. No point in wasting money to buy a bread machine. Especially in these hard times.

WineHunter.

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#48 Post by Nola Palomar » March 26th, 2020, 6:03 pm

Cool oven Victor!
Nola
ITB

Veleta
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Victor Hong

#49 Post by Victor Hong » March 26th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Big enough to cook that aforementioned high horse. With room left over, to cook a side dish of noodles.
WineHunter.

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Brian Tuite » March 26th, 2020, 6:16 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 6:06 pm
Big enough to cook that aforementioned high horse. With room left over, to cook a side dish of noodles.
Very frugal of you.

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”