Oyster knife

I was a bit skeptical that an oyster knife could be improved upon, but after using it last night I’m impressed.

The ergonomic handle allows better control and more security. And the slight curve at the end of the blade is better for separating.

I may have used a similar model. The ergonomics of the handle is very important. I’m not an expert, but after shucking a few dozen at a NYE dinner party a couple years ago, the one I own was not nearly as good as the model the hostess owned.

-Al

Yeah, I never knew I needed it until I had it. [snort.gif]

It looks good, but the video on their website is horrible and that guy is asking to get a knife through his palm with a stubborn oyster. I shucked oysters at a previous job and everyone went palm down over the oyster and used a cloth.

Yeah, the video made me shudder.

-Al

My family has been oyster crazy, for generations. Grandfather used to get a “barrel” for Thanksgiving and Christmas. My Mother and Aunt would plow through a few dozen apiece. They’re still a Holiday tradition.

Took 15 years of marriage before my better half tried one…and she’s loved them since!

I’ve developed a technique that works (after several hundred and 40-ish years) but it sucks compared the speed/efficiency of the Pros. Always use heavy gloves. I own probably 8 - 10 different oyster knives from the early 1900s to recent. One looks like that “Toadfish”. Most all work well enough. Technique is the key.

RT