What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Post Reply
Message
Author
p. raghib
Posts: 591
Joined: June 8th, 2009, 11:49 am

What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#1 Post by p. raghib » December 18th, 2019, 7:13 pm

Xmas, Hanukkah, festivus, whatever is your meal of the season. What are you going to serve? I’m looking for some inspiration.

Cheers
Paul
cheers'

-paul r.

User avatar
Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1111
Joined: August 21st, 2009, 8:27 am
Location: Plano, TX

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#2 Post by Michael O'Brien » December 19th, 2019, 9:42 am

Cassoulet made from a kit purchased from D'Artagnan. We love cassoulet and pair it with Cahors or Malbecs from Mendoza. This year we have the good fortune of having it prepared by the mother of a friend who has come all the way from La Rochelle, France to make it for us. A few years ago, she prepared it for us using the D'Artagnan kit. As any good cook would, she used a little more of this and a little less of that in the preparation. She also made other modifications to the cooking techniques. We could never duplicate what she did but I will say that even following the recipe provided by D'Artagnan, the cassoulet is great. I suspect it tastes a little better when our French friend makes it because it is made with love and a wealth of experience.
PlanoWino

NED VALOIS
Posts: 5945
Joined: March 7th, 2012, 9:47 am
Location: South Miami,Fl

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#3 Post by NED VALOIS » December 19th, 2019, 9:53 am

Flannery Cali Reserve Rib Roast [cheers.gif]

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 889
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 1:13 pm

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#4 Post by Joe Chanley » December 19th, 2019, 10:10 am

Any go to salad recipes people can share? Serving lamb, mashed potatoes and roasted carrots and wanted something bright and delicious.

John Collins
Posts: 1
Joined: December 18th, 2019, 6:12 am

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#5 Post by John Collins » December 19th, 2019, 11:58 am

Hi, first post!

Surf & Turf. Getting whole filet and frozen lobster tails from costco. I will sous vide the tails and reverse sear the filets using the Slow 'N Sear device in my Weber Kettle.

If you are into grilling and don't know what a Slow 'n Sear is, see video below. I don't sell them, I'm not associated with them, I just use it. Basically it gets you a similar steak to using a sous vide, and will leave my sous vide cooker free for the tails. This particular youtuber does a great job showing how to clean up a whole tenderloin. You can get them cleaned, but they are cheaper if you get the whole thing and trim it yourself.

I like sauces with filet mignon, but because the lobster has such a delicate flavor, I'll just finish the steaks with a pat of herb butter, I think. Can't wait!


__________________________
Western suburbs of Philadelphia

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2993
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#6 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 19th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Same as Thanksgiving. We do one or the other each year, so there's no repetition. Heritage turkey in the wood burning oven and the traditional sides.

User avatar
cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5319
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 5:00 pm
Location: Cranford NJ

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#7 Post by cjsavino » December 19th, 2019, 5:55 pm

Joe Chanley wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 10:10 am
Any go to salad recipes people can share? Serving lamb, mashed potatoes and roasted carrots and wanted something bright and delicious.
Our regular salad:

Field greens and arugula
Diced shallot
Tomato’s cut and salted just before adding to bowl
Goat cheese or blue cheese crumbles
Craisins or other dried fruit
Pistachios
Ground pepper
Italian seasoning
Dress with a little balsamic, red wine vinegar, and olive oil.
Chris
Image

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4650
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#8 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 19th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Tajima wagyu standing rib roast, using reverse sear technique, mashed potatoes, and jus.

Probably serve w a nice Rhône of some sort.

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2993
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#9 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 19th, 2019, 6:23 pm

Joe Chanley wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 10:10 am
Any go to salad recipes people can share? Serving lamb, mashed potatoes and roasted carrots and wanted something bright and delicious.
I would do something simple and bitter as a cleansing foil. A classic tri-colore (arugula, raddichio, endive) plus some pickled red onions, dressed with a bright mustard, shallot, lemon juice, red wine vinegar. I would avoid repeating sweet and savory notes already in your main. If you want to dress it up a bit, some sauteed shitake mushrooms and shaved parm would suit well.

User avatar
Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3872
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 10:53 pm
Location: Iowa, SoCal

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#10 Post by Kenny H » December 19th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 6:23 pm
Joe Chanley wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 10:10 am
Any go to salad recipes people can share? Serving lamb, mashed potatoes and roasted carrots and wanted something bright and delicious.
I would do something simple and bitter as a cleansing foil. A classic tri-colore (arugula, raddichio, endive) plus some pickled red onions, dressed with a bright mustard, shallot, lemon juice, red wine vinegar. I would avoid repeating sweet and savory notes already in your main. If you want to dress it up a bit, some sauteed shitake mushrooms and shaved parm would suit well.
This is perfect! Maybe some toasted nuts but that salad is the perfect prelude to lamb.
H0eve!kamp

User avatar
scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3947
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#11 Post by scamhi » December 20th, 2019, 4:08 am



we're doing cassoulet as well.
Starting the duck confit today.
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Joe Chanley
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 889
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 1:13 pm

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#12 Post by Joe Chanley » December 20th, 2019, 7:41 am

Kenny H wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 7:11 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 6:23 pm
Joe Chanley wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 10:10 am
Any go to salad recipes people can share? Serving lamb, mashed potatoes and roasted carrots and wanted something bright and delicious.
I would do something simple and bitter as a cleansing foil. A classic tri-colore (arugula, raddichio, endive) plus some pickled red onions, dressed with a bright mustard, shallot, lemon juice, red wine vinegar. I would avoid repeating sweet and savory notes already in your main. If you want to dress it up a bit, some sauteed shitake mushrooms and shaved parm would suit well.
This is perfect! Maybe some toasted nuts but that salad is the perfect prelude to lamb.
Thank you!

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20421
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#13 Post by Alan Rath » December 20th, 2019, 10:04 am

John Collins wrote:
December 19th, 2019, 11:58 am
Hi, first post!

Surf & Turf. Getting whole filet and frozen lobster tails from costco. I will sous vide the tails and reverse sear the filets using the Slow 'N Sear device in my Weber Kettle.

If you are into grilling and don't know what a Slow 'n Sear is, see video below. I don't sell them, I'm not associated with them, I just use it. Basically it gets you a similar steak to using a sous vide, and will leave my sous vide cooker free for the tails. This particular youtuber does a great job showing how to clean up a whole tenderloin. You can get them cleaned, but they are cheaper if you get the whole thing and trim it yourself.

I like sauces with filet mignon, but because the lobster has such a delicate flavor, I'll just finish the steaks with a pat of herb butter, I think. Can't wait!


Looks great, thanks for posting! BTW, no reason not to use actual wood charcoal in place of crappy briquettes, you'll get much better wood flavor (if you want that), and none of the petroleum residue.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15593
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#14 Post by Craig G » December 20th, 2019, 10:17 am

We’re probably not doing any big thing for the 25th, but I have a dinner party planned for the 1st where I’m making cassoulet and serving a vertical of La Conseillante: 1982, 1998, 2005.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

User avatar
John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3030
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 1:27 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#15 Post by John Davis » December 20th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Christmas Eve, Calf’s liver and onion, don’t ask me how we got there but I am o.k with that Christmas dinner Standing rib roast. Haven’t decided on wines yet as wife and I are the only wine drinkers.
ITB

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33794
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#16 Post by Anton D » December 20th, 2019, 1:26 pm

Still pondering.

I like the cassoulet idea!

Regarding roasted carrots, we pseudo-invented a dish last night to go with some lamb and risotto...

I've done the sous vide 185 degree thing with carrots, but it was a pain.

So, I got some small organic carrots and trimmed the tops and sealed them in a boil-in bag like I was going to sous vide them but simply simmered them in the bag with some brown sugar for about an hour.

At the last moment, took them out, along with the small amount of 'carrot juice' they sweated and glazed them in a pan over medium heat...3 minutes or less.

Delish and easy.

My wife commented on enjoying the texture and they were not overly sweet I will do this again. Nice al dente feel and concentrated carrot flavors!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33794
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#17 Post by Anton D » December 24th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Well, last night was cassoulet night.

I grabbed local herbed sausage, some pork belly, duck, bacon, deep dark ham that a neighbor cured...that was fed on acorns!

Some local beans.

Soaked the beans for 2 days...they were a little small.

Prepared each ingredient ahead of time, "confit-ed the duck a day ahead," braised the pork belly in some brown sugar and herbs, deglazed every pan I used. I spent 8 hours doing this and that. Even made my own tomato paste and ground our own home grown chilies.

Did the every 15 minute punch down during over time.

It sucked.

The beans were soft, but never meshed with the dish, if you know what I mean.

My wife and kids and our guest were very pleased, my son said, "Best ever, dad," but it left me so cold, I may never do it again. It was a texture thing for me...and I gently prepared those beans for hours and hours!

Hard to explain, but when each bean remains a separate entity from the dish, it's sad. Might just be me.

To rub salt into my wounds, my retired partner gave me a cassoulet kit today! A beautiful deep red/bordeaux dark aged ham, some beautiful sausage and bacon...but I am sad.

Tonight, making lobster bisque and cacio de pepe to go with some king crab and drawn butter. (Kerery Gold makes good drawn butter, by the way.)

Drinking 2016 Rentareia Brown Ranch chard and Alpha Omega 2016 Reserve chard.

Thanks for letting me opine my cassoulet failure. I love this place.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6232
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#18 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » December 24th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Anton D wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 6:03 pm
Well, last night was cassoulet night.

I grabbed local herbed sausage, some pork belly, duck, bacon, deep dark ham that a neighbor cured...that was fed on acorns!

Some local beans.

Soaked the beans for 2 days...they were a little small.

Prepared each ingredient ahead of time, "confit-ed the duck a day ahead," braised the pork belly in some brown sugar and herbs, deglazed every pan I used. I spent 8 hours doing this and that. Even made my own tomato paste and ground our own home grown chilies.

Did the every 15 minute punch down during over time.

It sucked.

The beans were soft, but never meshed with the dish, if you know what I mean.

My wife and kids and our guest were very pleased, my son said, "Best ever, dad," but it left me so cold, I may never do it again. It was a texture thing for me...and I gently prepared those beans for hours and hours!

Hard to explain, but when each bean remains a separate entity from the dish, it's sad. Might just be me.

To rub salt into my wounds, my retired partner gave me a cassoulet kit today! A beautiful deep red/bordeaux dark aged ham, some beautiful sausage and bacon...but I am sad.

Tonight, making lobster bisque and cacio de pepe to go with some king crab and drawn butter. (Kerery Gold makes good drawn butter, by the way.)

Drinking 2016 Rentareia Brown Ranch chard and Alpha Omega 2016 Reserve chard.

Thanks for letting me opine my cassoulet failure. I love this place.
You’d rather your family shuns you? Take em all to SW France to learn what a real cassoulet tastes like and then come back here and complain.
BTW, the way I’m guessing it was a wine pairing problem.

User avatar
Brad Kane
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5300
Joined: March 4th, 2009, 6:24 pm
Location: NYC

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#19 Post by Brad Kane » December 24th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Spare ribs, shumai and an eggroll.
itb.

User avatar
JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 991
Joined: June 19th, 2018, 12:42 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#20 Post by JDavisRoby » December 24th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Sous vide a 8lb prime rib and finished it on the Weber Kettle. The charcoal flared up as the fat rendered off the prime rib so it was a bit more char than I would prefer. But, otherwise it was great.

Doing pizza on the Kettle Pizza tomorrow.
Joshu@

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33794
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#21 Post by Anton D » December 24th, 2019, 11:09 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 6:59 pm

You’d rather your family shuns you? Take em all to SW France to learn what a real cassoulet tastes like and then come back here and complain.
BTW, the way I’m guessing it was a wine pairing problem.
I was blaming myself, not the dish.

I didn't get the final consistency right.

Yours was a perfect first world rich entitled guy solution, though. Very useful! [cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Brian Gilp
Posts: 2702
Joined: May 29th, 2010, 6:00 am

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#22 Post by Brian Gilp » December 25th, 2019, 5:34 am

The normal family Christmas isn’t happening this year so instead doing something less formal for a few friends who didn’t have any plans. Putting together two different lasagnas. Never spent so much time for downsized meal as I spent 5 hours yesterday just on the rabbit ragu that will be used for the lasagna with meat.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4650
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#23 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 25th, 2019, 6:23 am

We did holy grail upper prime tomahawk and mashed potatoes along with 08 dom and 16 myriad round pound, fantastic!

User avatar
Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4289
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#24 Post by Paul Jaouen » December 25th, 2019, 6:24 am

Flannery RibCap. No idea on wines yet.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20105
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#25 Post by Brian Tuite » December 25th, 2019, 6:51 am

Flannery Ca Reserve Tenderloin Roast, Red Wine Reduction
Duck Fat Asparagus with Sous Vide Carrots and Lardons
Cheesy Hasselback Potato Gratin

I have to do a Hipster wine so I pulled a 2012 Random Wine Co Petit Verdot, not sure what else I’ll be opening quite yet.

11694171-792A-4D43-8167-E83F5355A1F3.jpeg
E43D8D47-8B78-440C-8B0F-BEAF0E4B03D2.jpeg
1B285097-9CFC-44CF-8A37-A4175B4DDA04.jpeg
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4871
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 9:02 am

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#26 Post by Siun o'Connell » December 25th, 2019, 10:01 am

We celebrated last night (though are heading to some relatives of my son-in-law's today) and it was superb.

Remember my son-in-law and my daughter are both chefs. When we were all discussing what to have, I said "gee, we haven't had ham in a long time" and my daughter said "hmmm, I guess ham and cabbage is not really holiday food." Now you have to know that a pot with a boiling ham, potatoes and cabbage was my childhood family's favorite meal - ham falling apart tender, potatoes rough mashed with cabbage, butter and apple cider vinegar ... just wonderful rustic food. So we laughed then I said actually ...

...which led to my daughter promising "ham and cabbage but we'll make it soigné" and they did. Delicious ham, cooked with cabbage charred first to give just the right touch of bitter to sweet, robuchon potatoes hand whipped, and an apple cider gastrique that was perfection. I brought a bottle of 2014 Tercero Outlier Gewurztramer ... perfect match, perfect meal and definitely "soigné" chefs!

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33794
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#27 Post by Anton D » December 25th, 2019, 10:40 am

Oh, man. Now I want lasagna, tomahawk steak, ribcap, tenderloin, ham, potatoes, and cabbage!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33794
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#28 Post by Anton D » December 26th, 2019, 1:10 pm

My fortunes improved yesterday.

Goose turned out OK.

Image

Image

Gravy, taters, and steak to accompany...

Flannery Jorge...(actually cooked to 134 degrees, which is high, for me, but this cut seems to do better at slightly higher temps. We usually do 128-129 degrees for steak.)

Image

Image

Matched with various sparklers.

Clicquot 'yellow/orange,' Clicquot Grand Dame 2008 so my kids could compare, a 2008 Roederer Brut Nature Philippe Starck, so they could see how dosage affects things, and a Williams Selyem 'Chapmagne' to compare styles, as well.

Used the goose fat to prepare the potatoes. I often think duck/goose fat provide me the most pleasure via how creamy the insides of the potatoes get, rather than any specific flavor profile.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33794
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#29 Post by Anton D » December 26th, 2019, 1:11 pm

Anton D wrote:
December 26th, 2019, 1:10 pm
My fortunes improved yesterday.

Goose turned out OK.

Image

Image

Gravy, taters, and steak to accompany...

Flannery Jorge...(actually cooked to 134 degrees, which is high, for me, but this cut seems to do better at slightly higher temps. We usually do 128-129 degrees for steak.)

Image

Image

Matched with various sparklers.

Clicquot 'yellow/orange,' Clicquot Grand Dame 2008 so my kids could compare, a 2008 Roederer Brut Nature Philippe Starck, so they could see how dosage affects things, and a Williams Selyem 'Chapmagne' to compare styles, as well.

Used the goose fat to prepare the potatoes. I often think duck/goose fat provide me the most pleasure via how creamy the insides of the potatoes get, rather than any specific flavor profile.
I suppose I should fly to Canada to really get an idea of how goose should taste, however. [cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4871
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 9:02 am

Re: What is on the menu for your big holiday dinner?

#30 Post by Siun o'Connell » December 26th, 2019, 8:28 pm

Looks luscious Anton! wow!

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”