Truffled Egg-Yolk Ravioli

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1851
Joined: June 26th, 2017, 7:46 pm
Location: South Carolina

Truffled Egg-Yolk Ravioli

#1 Post by Mattstolz » December 16th, 2019, 4:11 am

Just here to tell everyone two things:
Serious Eats Egg yolk ravioli recipe is delicious. I made a couple minor tweaks... grated a little truffle into the ricotta mixture, shaved a little on top, gave it a finishing salt crunch... but good step by step recipe.

also, D'Artagnan is a great source for ingredients. The wine world could take a cue from them on packaging. My latest shipment came in a regular cardboard box, but with a packing slip that describes the shipping materials: the box is recyclable (obviously), but the "styro" is biodegradable (they suggest using it as kindling for the grill or fire pit), and the plastic its wrapped in is made from corn and dissolves in water. AND it kept everything cold well. super impressed.

User avatar
Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 982
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Re: Truffled Egg-Yolk Ravioli

#2 Post by Betty C » December 16th, 2019, 11:53 am

If you store eggs with truffles in an airtight container overnight, the egg whites will absorb the truffle aroma. After you use the yolks for the ravioli, you'll have delicious whites for a scramble.
Ch00

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33733
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Truffled Egg-Yolk Ravioli

#3 Post by Anton D » December 16th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Betty C wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 11:53 am
If you store eggs with truffles in an airtight container overnight, the egg whites will absorb the truffle aroma. After you use the yolks for the ravioli, you'll have delicious whites for a scramble.
Wow!

Gonna do it!

Thanks!!!!
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Christine Huang
Posts: 297
Joined: August 31st, 2009, 9:54 am
Location: NY

Re: Truffled Egg-Yolk Ravioli

#4 Post by Christine Huang » December 21st, 2019, 7:54 pm

I've made uova di raviolo many times over the years and it's always a delicious show-stopping dish. Her directions are quite good. I'd add that gently pressing out the air bubbles are key.

I usually cut my dough into squares, pipe the filling and place the yolk, then brush water around the filling, top with another square, gently press out any air bubbles and seal, then stamp out the circle with a big circle cutter. It's easier than trying to match up the edges of the circles and neater - even prettier if you have a cutter with fluted edges.

If I have truffles, I do as Matt does and shave it on top. In that case, I mix mushroom duxelles into the ricotta filling for that extra oomph as I'm not as generous as Matt and I want the truffle to go as far as possible [snort.gif] . In the Spring, I like adding sautéed ramps or garlic chives to the filling. Caramelized onions work well too.

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5064
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:15 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Truffled Egg-Yolk Ravioli

#5 Post by Michael Bowden » December 22nd, 2019, 3:30 pm

Betty C wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 11:53 am
If you store eggs with truffles in an airtight container overnight, the egg whites will absorb the truffle aroma. After you use the yolks for the ravioli, you'll have delicious whites for a scramble.
This is the only way to go. Rice is meh and sucks out the moisture.
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

johngonzales
Posts: 8211
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Location: City of Angels

Re: Truffled Egg-Yolk Ravioli

#6 Post by johngonzales » December 27th, 2019, 12:42 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 4:11 am
Just here to tell everyone two things:
Serious Eats Egg yolk ravioli recipe is delicious. I made a couple minor tweaks... grated a little truffle into the ricotta mixture, shaved a little on top, gave it a finishing salt crunch... but good step by step recipe.

also, D'Artagnan is a great source for ingredients. The wine world could take a cue from them on packaging. My latest shipment came in a regular cardboard box, but with a packing slip that describes the shipping materials: the box is recyclable (obviously), but the "styro" is biodegradable (they suggest using it as kindling for the grill or fire pit), and the plastic its wrapped in is made from corn and dissolves in water. AND it kept everything cold well. super impressed.
Yum, this dish at the Valentino white truffle dinner, with massive shavings of fresh white truffles, was one of the top ten dishes in my lifetime.

User avatar
Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1851
Joined: June 26th, 2017, 7:46 pm
Location: South Carolina

Re: Truffled Egg-Yolk Ravioli

#7 Post by Mattstolz » December 27th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Christine Huang wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 7:54 pm
I've made uova di raviolo many times over the years and it's always a delicious show-stopping dish. Her directions are quite good. I'd add that gently pressing out the air bubbles are key.

I usually cut my dough into squares, pipe the filling and place the yolk, then brush water around the filling, top with another square, gently press out any air bubbles and seal, then stamp out the circle with a big circle cutter. It's easier than trying to match up the edges of the circles and neater - even prettier if you have a cutter with fluted edges.

If I have truffles, I do as Matt does and shave it on top. In that case, I mix mushroom duxelles into the ricotta filling for that extra oomph as I'm not as generous as Matt and I want the truffle to go as far as possible [snort.gif] . In the Spring, I like adding sautéed ramps or garlic chives to the filling. Caramelized onions work well too.
I love the idea of ramps in the filling. that's probably very tasty. duxelles would be nice when truffles are unavailable as well
Betty C wrote:
December 16th, 2019, 11:53 am
If you store eggs with truffles in an airtight container overnight, the egg whites will absorb the truffle aroma. After you use the yolks for the ravioli, you'll have delicious whites for a scramble.
this is also a really clever idea. I made truffle butter with any of the little bit of truffle I had left over this time around but I'll have to try that next go around!

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”