Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Jim Brennan
Posts: 4564
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 6:10 pm
Location: People's Republic of Illinois

Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

#1 Post by Jim Brennan » November 11th, 2019, 1:37 pm

Ok, so I made Coq au Vin on Sunday. I'm going to turn the remnants of the Chicken into a pot pie. That's easy.

The question I have... Can I use the leftover "gravy" from the dish to be the liquid to fill the pot pie, or am I going to make everyone sick if I do that? Seems like it should be ok, but not sure.

User avatar
C. Mc Cart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1854
Joined: December 22nd, 2009, 8:44 am
Location: Ontario

Re: Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

#2 Post by C. Mc Cart » November 11th, 2019, 1:45 pm

The cooked au Vin sauce? Not sure how you'd make folks sick as it is fully cooked (yes?) but you'll have to be judicious with either how much you use, or thicken it with a roux or cornstarch as the crust may not bake properly since the sauce is thinner.
Chris

User avatar
Jim Brennan
Posts: 4564
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 6:10 pm
Location: People's Republic of Illinois

Re: Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

#3 Post by Jim Brennan » November 11th, 2019, 1:46 pm

That's what I thought... just wanted to make sure. And, Yes, I'm going to thicken it with flour. Thanks!

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5173
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

#4 Post by George Hejna » November 11th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Bring anything up to the right temp for the right amount of time and it will kill everything.

George

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 15204
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

#5 Post by Victor Hong » November 11th, 2019, 3:58 pm

George Hejna wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 3:49 pm
Bring anything up to the right temp for the right amount of time and it will kill everything.

George
Then, cover with sauce, and serve. Nobody is the wiser.
WineHunter.

User avatar
RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1166
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 10:41 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

#6 Post by RichardFlack » November 11th, 2019, 4:31 pm

George Hejna wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 3:49 pm
Bring anything up to the right temp for the right amount of time and it will kill everything.

George
This. And assuming proper refrigeration in the meantime.

I do all sorts of things with leftover Turkey, gravy etc, from holiday feasts. By the final stage soup it’s probably a week. (Hot turkey, cold turkey, turkey stew, turkey soup). Or I’ll freeze some of it.

Just curious, red or white wine with the coq au vin? Red would be terrific seasonal dish, albeit an unusual pot pie , especially with a hint of seasonal spices added.

User avatar
RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1166
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 10:41 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

#7 Post by RichardFlack » November 11th, 2019, 4:36 pm

C. Mc Cart wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 1:45 pm
The cooked au Vin sauce? Not sure how you'd make folks sick as it is fully cooked (yes?) but you'll have to be judicious with either how much you use, or thicken it with a roux or cornstarch as the crust may not bake properly since the sauce is thinner.
Bake the crust separately and assemble at the end? Better to thicken sauce though.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4735
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

#8 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » November 11th, 2019, 6:32 pm

It’s dangerous if it’s heated up multiple times. A second time would be ok assuming proper refrigeration, which also means not letting it sit around for hours before refrigerating.

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 15204
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

#9 Post by Victor Hong » November 11th, 2019, 6:46 pm

In my kitchen, all perishable food is either cooking, refrigerated, frozen, or being eaten. Sitting on the counter means food contamination or spoilage risk.
(What happens at the shop is another matter.)
Last edited by Victor Hong on November 11th, 2019, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WineHunter.

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14765
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

#10 Post by Craig G » November 11th, 2019, 6:46 pm

George Hejna wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 3:49 pm
Bring anything up to the right temp for the right amount of time and it will kill everything.
Wasnt that what he was trying to avoid?
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

User avatar
Jim Brennan
Posts: 4564
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 6:10 pm
Location: People's Republic of Illinois

Re: Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

#11 Post by Jim Brennan » November 11th, 2019, 7:07 pm

RichardFlack wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 4:31 pm
George Hejna wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 3:49 pm
Bring anything up to the right temp for the right amount of time and it will kill everything.

George
This. And assuming proper refrigeration in the meantime.

I do all sorts of things with leftover Turkey, gravy etc, from holiday feasts. By the final stage soup it’s probably a week. (Hot turkey, cold turkey, turkey stew, turkey soup). Or I’ll freeze some of it.

Just curious, red or white wine with the coq au vin? Red would be terrific seasonal dish, albeit an unusual pot pie , especially with a hint of seasonal spices added.
I did a white wine coq au vin. Had it at a restaurant a few weeks back and decided to give it a go at home.

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14034
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

#12 Post by Jay Miller » November 12th, 2019, 6:22 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 6:32 pm
It’s dangerous if it’s heated up multiple times. A second time would be ok assuming proper refrigeration, which also means not letting it sit around for hours before refrigerating.
Why is heating something multiple times dangerous? Assuming it's not sitting unrefrigerated for hours between those multiple reheats of course.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4735
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

#13 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » November 12th, 2019, 8:33 am

Jay Miller wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 6:22 am
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 6:32 pm
It’s dangerous if it’s heated up multiple times. A second time would be ok assuming proper refrigeration, which also means not letting it sit around for hours before refrigerating.
Why is heating something multiple times dangerous? Assuming it's not sitting unrefrigerated for hours between those multiple reheats of course.
TheFDA doesn’t seem to agree with me https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs ... y/ct_index

User avatar
RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1166
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 10:41 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

#14 Post by RichardFlack » November 12th, 2019, 8:36 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 8:33 am
Jay Miller wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 6:22 am
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
November 11th, 2019, 6:32 pm
It’s dangerous if it’s heated up multiple times. A second time would be ok assuming proper refrigeration, which also means not letting it sit around for hours before refrigerating.
Why is heating something multiple times dangerous? Assuming it's not sitting unrefrigerated for hours between those multiple reheats of course.
TheFDA doesn’t seem to agree with me https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs ... y/ct_index
I think the key is proper cooling and refrigeration as well as heating to sufficient temperature.
I would think that the biggest risk in this sort of sequence has to be the original prep of the raw chicken especially if it has the skin attached.

User avatar
Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9257
Joined: October 10th, 2009, 1:40 pm
Location: Home of the Mayo Clinic

Re: Chicken Pie -- Filling, am I going to make people sick?

#15 Post by Chris Blum » November 12th, 2019, 9:27 am

I think the FDA is probably more worried about the trips the food takes through the “danger zone” temp-wise, than actual reheating.

Short answer, Jim... no, you’re fine.
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”