Costco $550 Belota Iberico

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
User avatar
Scott G r u n e r
Posts: 3919
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Location: Seattleish

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#51 Post by Scott G r u n e r » December 4th, 2019, 6:59 pm

My costco belota had some mold, i just wiped it off. I tell you I feel like a hack cutting this thing tho. No offense jay
//Cynic

User avatar
Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP
Posts: 4698
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 2:34 am
Location: Ugijar (GRANADA) Spain and Dayton, Ohio

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#52 Post by Nola Palomar » December 4th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 6:59 pm
My costco belota had some mold, i just wiped it off. I tell you I feel like a hack cutting this thing tho. No offense jay
You mean like cutting it in chunks? [smileyvault-ban.gif] [swearing.gif] Nooooo!!! Lol!!! I mean it is your food and you can do with it what you want. Mine is super easy to slice thin so..... flirtysmile
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain


Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

User avatar
Scott G r u n e r
Posts: 3919
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Location: Seattleish

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#53 Post by Scott G r u n e r » December 4th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Nola Palomar wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 7:19 pm
Scott G r u n e r wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 6:59 pm
My costco belota had some mold, i just wiped it off. I tell you I feel like a hack cutting this thing tho. No offense jay
You mean like cutting it in chunks? [smileyvault-ban.gif] [swearing.gif] Nooooo!!! Lol!!! I mean it is your food and you can do with it what you want. Mine is super easy to slice thin so..... flirtysmile
No. Not chunks but uneven slices etc. my jamon technique needs work.
//Cynic

User avatar
Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP
Posts: 4698
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 2:34 am
Location: Ugijar (GRANADA) Spain and Dayton, Ohio

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#54 Post by Nola Palomar » December 5th, 2019, 6:03 am

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 8:58 pm
Nola Palomar wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 7:19 pm
Scott G r u n e r wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 6:59 pm
My costco belota had some mold, i just wiped it off. I tell you I feel like a hack cutting this thing tho. No offense jay
You mean like cutting it in chunks? [smileyvault-ban.gif] [swearing.gif] Nooooo!!! Lol!!! I mean it is your food and you can do with it what you want. Mine is super easy to slice thin so..... flirtysmile
No. Not chunks but uneven slices etc. my jamon technique needs work.
Cut it how you can, then enjoy with a crunchy baguette drizzled with high quality EVOO and the jamon on top and a nice glass of Tempranillo!!!
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain


Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

User avatar
Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3499
Joined: August 30th, 2017, 11:26 am

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#55 Post by Josh Grossman » December 18th, 2019, 5:50 am

Not sure the difference from the one above but saw this. We got one last year and it was wonderful. My brother thought it was better than Edwards Ham.
Attachments
8DF5B5B3-6286-4398-A861-59051B56D3B9.jpeg

User avatar
Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP
Posts: 4698
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 2:34 am
Location: Ugijar (GRANADA) Spain and Dayton, Ohio

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#56 Post by Nola Palomar » December 18th, 2019, 6:17 am

Josh Grossman wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 5:50 am
Not sure the difference from the one above but saw this. We got one last year and it was wonderful. My brother thought it was better than Edwards Ham.
Those in the photo here are Serrano produced by Noel, a massive jamon factory with several locations around Spain, the one that makes these jamons, produces 22,000 hams/week. 1.2 million hams in stock. (from their website) www.noel.es

The bellotas in the OP are the black footed iberian hog, fed acorns (bellota) for the last couple months. The jamones have a very delicate and distinct flavor and the flesh is a deeper red color. If you enjoyed it last year grab another, especially now before they double in price.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain


Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

User avatar
Peter Hirsch
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2897
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#57 Post by Peter Hirsch » December 18th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Hey Nola. If I buy another from CostCo today and store it in the box, wrapped, in my wine cellar, will it still be good to go next November? I really like it for the Holiday season here..

User avatar
Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP
Posts: 4698
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 2:34 am
Location: Ugijar (GRANADA) Spain and Dayton, Ohio

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#58 Post by Nola Palomar » December 18th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Peter Hirsch wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 1:53 pm
Hey Nola. If I buy another from CostCo today and store it in the box, wrapped, in my wine cellar, will it still be good to go next November? I really like it for the Holiday season here..
I would have zero hesitation with that.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain


Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

User avatar
Peter Hirsch
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2897
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#59 Post by Peter Hirsch » December 18th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Thanks. I'm gonna do that!

User avatar
Peter Hirsch
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2897
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#60 Post by Peter Hirsch » December 21st, 2019, 10:05 am

I ordered another for next year, delivered today. Will sit in the wine cellar for 11 months! $550 delivered, so hard to pass up!

User avatar
Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2316
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 7:58 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#61 Post by Chuck Miller » December 21st, 2019, 11:15 am

The Costco in Redmond, WA is selling the Covap Bellota Iberico for $350 thru 12/31. Not sure about other locations.
Chuck Miller

User avatar
Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP
Posts: 4698
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 2:34 am
Location: Ugijar (GRANADA) Spain and Dayton, Ohio

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#62 Post by Nola Palomar » December 21st, 2019, 11:23 am

Chuck Miller wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 11:15 am
The Costco in Redmond, WA is selling the Covap Bellota Iberico for $350 thru 12/31. Not sure about other locations.
[winner.gif]
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain


Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7392
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#63 Post by Mark Golodetz » December 21st, 2019, 2:07 pm

A friend brought round some Costco Iberico. Very little ribbon fat, decent if chewy, good flavor. Lack of fat the real problem; half the flavor and much of the texture is lost.
ITB

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3458
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#64 Post by ERPark » December 21st, 2019, 3:27 pm

Chuck Miller wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 11:15 am
The Costco in Redmond, WA is selling the Covap Bellota Iberico for $350 thru 12/31. Not sure about other locations.
Damn! I was just up there a couple days ago. Stopped by the Tukwila Costco to gas up the rental and do a quick run thru the alcohol section. My Alaska Airlines flight ended up being delayed for 3.5 hours....... [head-bang.gif] [head-bang.gif] [head-bang.gif]
GEN3

User avatar
Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5168
Joined: November 22nd, 2015, 9:03 am
Location: Sunny South Florida

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#65 Post by Ken Strauss » December 21st, 2019, 4:13 pm

Costco has them again on the website.
Now $529.99
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

JWalter
Posts: 103
Joined: June 28th, 2013, 11:04 am
Location: Midland TX

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#66 Post by JWalter » April 19th, 2020, 10:38 am

Nola Palomar wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 12:16 pm
mattccheung wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 12:08 pm
Nola Palomar wrote:
November 2nd, 2019, 6:46 pm
A long time. If they get moldy, excellent!! Seriously, that’s how they’re cured. I throw mine in the sink and rinse it with cool water. Wipe off and pat dry w paper towels and lather it with a coating of lard. Dryness and not enjoying it are the worst enemy to a jamon. The holidays are coming up and this is a great tapa as well as and excellent cover dish to share!! Crazy, they must to have gotten them in before the tariff started!
Nola, do you cover your jamon while it's out in room temp? Currently I have mine gently wrapped in clear wrap sitting on the counter. Thanks.
I do, I use the fat from the top to cover the meat, and then I put some plastic wrap over that (but that will cause it to mold). then I have the black cloth bag laid over that. Mold is a Jamon's friend. While they age they get a nice thick layer, and then they are rinsed coated with lard and packaged. Occasionally, I have found a jamon I am ready to ship that is covered with mold. I generally hold it back and save it for myself. I am making a big deal out of the mold because it is what helps the jamon to age. I just don't want anyone to think there is a problem with it.
I’m not scared of a little mold! Does anyone have a good recommendation for one of the iberic’s available on Amazon?

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3458
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#67 Post by ERPark » April 19th, 2020, 1:11 pm

I saw one on the shelf at Costco for $549.99 a couple days ago.
GEN3

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2613
Joined: May 10th, 2010, 3:47 pm
Location: Harpswell, Maine

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#68 Post by Dan Kravitz » April 20th, 2020, 4:08 pm

I'm a big fan, I assume these weigh in at ??? 15 pounds with bone?

Pork is Precious!

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

User avatar
AndyK
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 462
Joined: February 17th, 2018, 4:29 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#69 Post by AndyK » April 22nd, 2020, 4:55 pm

k0berl

2020 WOTY Candidates
1995 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard
NV Krug Champagne Brut Rosé 18éme
2007 Marcel Juge Cornas

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3458
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#70 Post by ERPark » April 22nd, 2020, 5:04 pm

No. Jamon Iberico is what’s being referenced here. Although I did a Mangalica pork lunch a number of months ago, and it was definitely worthy of the hype.
GEN3

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1459
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#71 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » April 23rd, 2020, 1:07 pm

Gotta love this review:

"Putting it on the meat slicer and shaving was a great way to eat it. Each person in my home thought it tasted like rotten meat. I wasn’t pleased with it. So now I have a $400 chunk of meat we won’t eat sitting in my fridge. Not happy. Doesn’t taste like ham, or prosciutto, just foul meat."

newhere
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3458
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#72 Post by ERPark » April 23rd, 2020, 1:48 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 1:07 pm
Gotta love this review:

"Putting it on the meat slicer and shaving was a great way to eat it. Each person in my home thought it tasted like rotten meat. I wasn’t pleased with it. So now I have a $400 chunk of meat we won’t eat sitting in my fridge. Not happy. Doesn’t taste like ham, or prosciutto, just foul meat."

newhere
Reviewer rated it 2 stars. How bad does it have to be to be 1 star???
GEN3

User avatar
K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1459
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 10:36 am
Location: Boston, MA USA

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#73 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » April 23rd, 2020, 8:54 pm

ERPark wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 1:48 pm
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
April 23rd, 2020, 1:07 pm
Gotta love this review:

"Putting it on the meat slicer and shaving was a great way to eat it. Each person in my home thought it tasted like rotten meat. I wasn’t pleased with it. So now I have a $400 chunk of meat we won’t eat sitting in my fridge. Not happy. Doesn’t taste like ham, or prosciutto, just foul meat."

newhere
Reviewer rated it 2 stars. How bad does it have to be to be 1 star???
1 star review: "It broke my meat slicer."
Cheers,
/<evin


"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

User avatar
LMD Ermitaño
Posts: 3772
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 5:14 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#74 Post by LMD Ermitaño » May 10th, 2020, 11:48 am

I got more of Carrasco Ibéricos’ hand-sliced jamón Ibérico. I have a new house jamón. Luscious stuff.
Attachments
91489A76-340B-4E3C-873C-A4F5BE63C464.jpeg
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

User avatar
CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 29124
Joined: December 3rd, 2011, 6:33 am
Location: Ovilla\Midlothian Texas

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#75 Post by CJ Beazley » August 16th, 2020, 6:58 am

Nola Palomar wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 6:17 am
Josh Grossman wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 5:50 am
Not sure the difference from the one above but saw this. We got one last year and it was wonderful. My brother thought it was better than Edwards Ham.
Those in the photo here are Serrano produced by Noel, a massive jamon factory with several locations around Spain, the one that makes these jamons, produces 22,000 hams/week. 1.2 million hams in stock. (from their website) www.noel.es

The bellotas in the OP are the black footed iberian hog, fed acorns (bellota) for the last couple months. The jamones have a very delicate and distinct flavor and the flesh is a deeper red color. If you enjoyed it last year grab another, especially now before they double in price.
Hey Nola, have you heard about this?

“Fury in Spain at US plans to produce ‘Iberian’ ham in Texas and Georgia”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... nd-georgia
It's C(raig)

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5267
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#76 Post by Andrew Kotowski » August 16th, 2020, 6:21 pm

It’s not at the same level as Bellota, by any means, but I enjoyed the hell out of an aged Benton’s ham (additional six months in my garage) over the last two months.

https://shop.bentonscountryham.com/Prod ... tCode=awch
Instagram at @akgrill

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13823
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#77 Post by J a y H a c k » August 16th, 2020, 8:16 pm

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but someone brought one of these two Falltacular this year and I thought it was really delicious. I would buy one myself, but we do not entertain during the plague, and it would probably go to waste.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

User avatar
LMD Ermitaño
Posts: 3772
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 5:14 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#78 Post by LMD Ermitaño » August 16th, 2020, 10:51 pm

Have been enjoying Montaraz Único jamón Ibérico de bellota gran reserva at home lately for pica-pica time. Fattier than my previous house jamón de bellota (Carrasco Guijuelo - both are 100% Ibérico); but, somehow, not ponderous on the palate. Sold in Metro Manila (by Terry’s Selection) at the equivalent of around $151/pound.
Attachments
070FB28C-552F-41E8-9B9A-DF7C963A19CC.jpeg
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

User avatar
Peter Hirsch
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2897
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#79 Post by Peter Hirsch » August 17th, 2020, 5:08 am

I put a couple in my wine cellar. Been pulling them out and using during the Covid. They last so long, zero worries. I've gone through 2 of them since early March. Delicious.

User avatar
Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP
Posts: 4698
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 2:34 am
Location: Ugijar (GRANADA) Spain and Dayton, Ohio

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#80 Post by Nola Palomar » August 18th, 2020, 8:04 am

CJ Beazley wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 6:58 am
Nola Palomar wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 6:17 am
Josh Grossman wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 5:50 am
Not sure the difference from the one above but saw this. We got one last year and it was wonderful. My brother thought it was better than Edwards Ham.
Those in the photo here are Serrano produced by Noel, a massive jamon factory with several locations around Spain, the one that makes these jamons, produces 22,000 hams/week. 1.2 million hams in stock. (from their website) www.noel.es

The bellotas in the OP are the black footed iberian hog, fed acorns (bellota) for the last couple months. The jamones have a very delicate and distinct flavor and the flesh is a deeper red color. If you enjoyed it last year grab another, especially now before they double in price.
Hey Nola, have you heard about this?

“Fury in Spain at US plans to produce ‘Iberian’ ham in Texas and Georgia”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... nd-georgia
Hey Craig, no I hadn't heard about it. I have sort of a conflicted opinion on the article. The Bellota Jamones are spectacular. The one I bought a Costco is still on my counter top and we slice a bit from it every few days. I have one of the Jamon Serranos I imported along side the Bellota. It's Gazpacho time so...

If the US farms could raise them under the same conditions as in Spain, then I think we could have Jamon here of a similar taste. The acorns are the key though. I have front yard full of acorns, but have no interest in raising Iberian Hogs (LOL). Will they follow the same standard as the Criadores de Jamón de Extremadura and other certified areas in Spain that have very strict standards they follow? My guess is probably not and as the article stated feeding the hogs Pecans or Peanuts is not the same and will not yield the same quality of Jamon. To label it as such would be a huge disservice to the real Bellota Jamon from Spain. However, if it gets Americans to seek out this type of product and they are able to taste them side by side, I think it would be beneficial for Spain.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain


Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

User avatar
brianmcbrearty
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1663
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 8:25 am
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#81 Post by brianmcbrearty » September 18th, 2020, 11:26 am

Are we anticipating Costco will have these again this year, or might tariffs screw this up?
That avatar of mine is getting a little long in the tooth. Does anybody even know what that is/was? If you can read this, probably not.

User avatar
Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP
Posts: 4698
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 2:34 am
Location: Ugijar (GRANADA) Spain and Dayton, Ohio

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#82 Post by Nola Palomar » September 18th, 2020, 6:34 pm

brianmcbrearty wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 11:26 am
Are we anticipating Costco will have these again this year, or might tariffs screw this up?
Right now Jamones are not on the list. At least the HTS code I use is not. I would love to see the $550 Belota again!!
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain


Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

User avatar
brianmcbrearty
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1663
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 8:25 am
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#83 Post by brianmcbrearty » October 9th, 2020, 2:44 pm

Nola Palomar wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 6:34 pm
brianmcbrearty wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 11:26 am
Are we anticipating Costco will have these again this year, or might tariffs screw this up?
Right now Jamones are not on the list. At least the HTS code I use is not. I would love to see the $550 Belota again!!
Guess what I see.
That avatar of mine is getting a little long in the tooth. Does anybody even know what that is/was? If you can read this, probably not.

User avatar
Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1102
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#84 Post by Betty C » October 9th, 2020, 3:14 pm

brianmcbrearty wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 2:44 pm
Nola Palomar wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 6:34 pm
brianmcbrearty wrote:
September 18th, 2020, 11:26 am
Are we anticipating Costco will have these again this year, or might tariffs screw this up?
Right now Jamones are not on the list. At least the HTS code I use is not. I would love to see the $550 Belota again!!
Guess what I see.
Such a jamon tease!
Ch00

“Woke White” - M Hudson

p. raghib
Posts: 615
Joined: June 8th, 2009, 11:49 am

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#85 Post by p. raghib » October 17th, 2020, 7:01 am

cheers'

-paul r.

User avatar
Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP
Posts: 4698
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 2:34 am
Location: Ugijar (GRANADA) Spain and Dayton, Ohio

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#86 Post by Nola Palomar » October 17th, 2020, 10:23 am

We have enjoyed this Bellota Jamon very much!
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain


Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Jason Crawford
Posts: 235
Joined: January 16th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#87 Post by Jason Crawford » October 22nd, 2020, 10:04 am

My costco hams were just delivered. I'm curious to see the quality of the stand.

User avatar
brianmcbrearty
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1663
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 8:25 am
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#88 Post by brianmcbrearty » October 22nd, 2020, 12:39 pm

Jason Crawford wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 10:04 am
My costco hams were just delivered. I'm curious to see the quality of the stand.
Mine too. Suppose I should wait to unpack this one before I toss away last year's stand.

Your "hams?" Plural? Should I have bought more than one? How long will these keep in the box? Do they improve? Should I be cellaring jamon?
That avatar of mine is getting a little long in the tooth. Does anybody even know what that is/was? If you can read this, probably not.

User avatar
Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1102
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#89 Post by Betty C » October 22nd, 2020, 12:54 pm

brianmcbrearty wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 12:39 pm
Jason Crawford wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 10:04 am
My costco hams were just delivered. I'm curious to see the quality of the stand.
Mine too. Suppose I should wait to unpack this one before I toss away last year's stand.

Your "hams?" Plural? Should I have bought more than one? How long will these keep in the box? Do they improve? Should I be cellaring jamon?
Longest I kept a jamon in the box was five months, and it was just fine though it doesn’t improve. It’s better if you’re able to take it out of the plastic and hang it like they do in Spain. I’ve worked on a single leg of jamon for months. The recommendation is to eat within one month but that’s mainly because it can dry out and get really salty. It also gets moldy but I just slice that off. When it gets too salty to keep going, I debone what’s left and use it for cooking.

I’ve done this for the past six years and have yet to get sick from an old jamon!
Ch00

“Woke White” - M Hudson

User avatar
brianmcbrearty
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1663
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 8:25 am
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#90 Post by brianmcbrearty » October 22nd, 2020, 1:41 pm

I was still enjoying last years costco jamon in september. It had dried out a bit and was trickier to slice, but wasn't noticeably saltier to this yak.
That avatar of mine is getting a little long in the tooth. Does anybody even know what that is/was? If you can read this, probably not.

User avatar
Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1102
Joined: January 6th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#91 Post by Betty C » October 22nd, 2020, 2:09 pm

brianmcbrearty wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 1:41 pm
I was still enjoying last years costco jamon in september. It had dried out a bit and was trickier to slice, but wasn't noticeably saltier to this yak.
I started mine in May and I’m still working on it!
Ch00

“Woke White” - M Hudson

User avatar
Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP
Posts: 4698
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 2:34 am
Location: Ugijar (GRANADA) Spain and Dayton, Ohio

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#92 Post by Nola Palomar » October 22nd, 2020, 6:00 pm

I started mine in November last year. We still have a bit more to go before we start the new one😂 Look what came today!!!
665B783B-C85A-4360-B26E-7F10ACB6558F.jpeg
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain


Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

User avatar
brianmcbrearty
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1663
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 8:25 am
Location: Pleasanton, CA

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#93 Post by brianmcbrearty » October 26th, 2020, 10:43 am

Nola Palomar wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 6:00 pm
I started mine in November last year. We still have a bit more to go before we start the new one😂 Look what came today!!!

665B783B-C85A-4360-B26E-7F10ACB6558F.jpeg
Well look at that.
Attachments
IMG_6484.jpeg
That avatar of mine is getting a little long in the tooth. Does anybody even know what that is/was? If you can read this, probably not.

Jason Crawford
Posts: 235
Joined: January 16th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#94 Post by Jason Crawford » October 26th, 2020, 6:43 pm

brianmcbrearty wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 12:39 pm
Jason Crawford wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 10:04 am
My costco hams were just delivered. I'm curious to see the quality of the stand.
Mine too. Suppose I should wait to unpack this one before I toss away last year's stand.

Your "hams?" Plural? Should I have bought more than one? How long will these keep in the box? Do they improve? Should I be cellaring jamon?
Several for ourselves and some for gifts. My kids LOVE when serve a few pieces with fresh bread. My 4 year old asked for this for her birthday.

User avatar
LMD Ermitaño
Posts: 3772
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 5:14 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Costco $550 Belota Iberico

#95 Post by LMD Ermitaño » October 26th, 2020, 8:46 pm

Been enjoying over the last month or so the Montaraz Unico Paleta (100%) Ibérica de Bellota. Opulent as it looks/is, with sips of good, dry & bright bubbly, it doesn’t tire the palate as much as one would expect.
Attachments
A5068E0F-4BB5-4E3B-B8E3-6E2C394EC3A4.jpeg
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”