Peter Luger NYT review.

Sliced and raw. Then, there is the steak…

[oops.gif] Luger, not Lugar

Not lugey? Oh, wait, that was the review rating.

Zero Point Zero!

Remember Ben Benson’s, on West 58th? My interdealer bond broker once took me there.

The waiter insisted on breaking the lobster claws for me, so that we could eat faster, to turn the table. I pushed the entire dish at him, and told him to pulverize the lobster in a blender (Bass-O-Matic styled) and serve me the result in a fountain glass with a straw. He backed off, but another waiter come over to hover. In 45 minutes, we were rushed out of there, minus $225 without drinks……….a lot of money back in 1986.

Pete wells needs to quit. He’s the Caymus of food critics. He should just stick to eating at Gramercy Tavern.

Why? Nobody is forced to agree with him.

He’s a POS who wishes he were Jonathan Gold. The NYT would improve vastly by subtracting him.

Based on what?

What is PoS?

Point of Sale?
Noodle-slingers ring out orders for cash there.
Point of Sail?
Yachtsmen refer to that for boat direction and sail trim.

I get easily confused. newhere

https://twitter.com/epicurious/status/1189263188266831872?s=20

Let me guess again. Port or Starboard? Tell me that am I getting warmer.

But Caymus wine and equivalently over-priced, Yabba-Dabba-Doo brontosaurus-styled steaks pair perfectly.

Pete Wells is a crummy restaurant critic and Peter Luger is a shadow of its former self (and has been for a decade). Both things can be true.

+1

+2

This is my challenge with most steakhouses. Without even having that much skill, one can often do better, often more consistently and certainly more cheaply, at home.

I haven’t yet read all the comments to Wells’ review, but so far the clear majority agrees with him.

Sure, if you’re a millennial drone, agree away.

Is it annoying that they only take cash? Sure. Then again, they haven’t taken credit cards besides their own since they opened. Are the servers grumpy? Sure, but again many are the same people who’ve been there for 20-30 years. Also, anyone who’s been there is and has been fully aware of this, as this is the way they’ve always been.

I’ve found the steaks to be consistently good since the 90s, the wine list to be reasonable for NYC (bedrock ovz for $60, etc), and it to be a fun place to have dinners with friends when I’m in the city.

Like his locol review, I don’t understand why one would review Lugers, nor would it make a smidgen of difference to anyone who’d go there. What’s he going to review next? The 21 club?

Is it the best restaurant? Certainly not. Does it offer great steaks and a fun environment with decent wine? IMO yes. If it’s not for you, don’t go.