Barney Greengrass

DoH shutdown.

Only ever visited once but enjoyed the vibe. The food was decent too.

Seems like roach, mouse, temperature issues that can be resolved…with a little effort.

From the article:

"Randi Hutter Epstein, 56, a doctor who lives on the Upper West Side, said she has been placing a takeout order with Barney Greengrass every weekend for the last 20 years.

She said she learns of the dates of the Jewish holidays every August when she gets a letter from the restaurant asking if she would like the same order as last year to break the Yom Kippur fast — nova, whitefish salad, tuna and scallion cream cheese.

“I am assuming its temporary, and it is a public health glitch,” Dr. Hutter Epstein said.

She said she expects Mr. Greengrass will get things cleaned up: “I think these things are problematic to many restaurants in New York.”

Her family ate Barney Greengrass’s nova on Sunday morning, she said, and her first reaction when she heard about the shutdown was: “Thank God we have leftovers.” "

RT

Many years ago I lived around the corner … and the original Zabars was just a few blocks away … heaven.

Shut down by DOH, and a few days later, open again. Like DiFara pizza. Is this, like parking tickets, a revenue grab for the City? These violations seem easy to overcome and then the restaurant re-opens quickly. And, if I recall correctly, in DiFara’s case, it seems to happen repeatedly.

Could be both…a revenue grab and a rat grab.