SPOJA LORDA

Here we have classic “cucina povera” from the Romagna part of Emilia-Romagna, its called Spoja Lorda or Sfoglia Lorda. Its traditionally made from remains of dough and cheese. Classic cheese would be Stracchino or Squacquerone, but I have never seen such kind of cheese in Berlin. So I used fresh goat cheese combined with parmesan.

BTW, Spoja Lorda means “dirty dough”. The ravioli could burst and the cheese of the filling could make a dirty composition with the broth.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=5563

ENJOY
Martin

Looks simple and tasty, Martin, especially for one of these cool, rainy Autumn days we’re having. My family isn’t a huge goat cheese group, so would Mascarpone be a suitable substitute? I’ve got a nice batch of homemade chicken broth in the freezer. For a dish like this, I imagine a super high quality broth is important given that it’s a significant part of the dish.

Love Stracchino. That would be a perfect cheese for this dish. Hard to really sub out for this but the goat cheese sounds delicious.

Brandon,

this recipe is traditionally based on leftover dough and cheese. So choose the cheese of your liking. Mascarpone is low on flavor, so you should add another cheese with strong flavor like Peccorino or Parmesan or other cheese.

Good quality broth is essential.

P.S. it turned out that to serve this dish in 2 versions was perfect. First let the Raviolis cook for 2-3min in the broth, put on a plate and add fresh thyme butter on top including Parmesan. Separately serve the other Ravioli with the broth in another different plate.

I made it in 2 versions, as my wife is not fan of broth.