SPOJA LORDA

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Martin Zwick

SPOJA LORDA

#1 Post by Martin Zwick » October 6th, 2019, 9:43 am

Here we have classic "cucina povera" from the Romagna part of Emilia-Romagna, its called Spoja Lorda or Sfoglia Lorda. Its traditionally made from remains of dough and cheese. Classic cheese would be Stracchino or Squacquerone, but I have never seen such kind of cheese in Berlin. So I used fresh goat cheese combined with parmesan.

BTW, Spoja Lorda means "dirty dough". The ravioli could burst and the cheese of the filling could make a dirty composition with the broth.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=5563

IMG_9979.JPG

ENJOY
Martin
“We will take America without firing a shot. We do not have to invade the U.S. We will destroy you from within”

- Russia’s Nikita Khrushchev in 1956 -

Brandon R

Re: SPOJA LORDA

#2 Post by Brandon R » October 8th, 2019, 9:07 am

Looks simple and tasty, Martin, especially for one of these cool, rainy Autumn days we're having. My family isn't a huge goat cheese group, so would Mascarpone be a suitable substitute? I've got a nice batch of homemade chicken broth in the freezer. For a dish like this, I imagine a super high quality broth is important given that it's a significant part of the dish.
B. Redman

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by dcornutt » October 8th, 2019, 3:44 pm

Love Stracchino. That would be a perfect cheese for this dish. Hard to really sub out for this but the goat cheese sounds delicious.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Martin Zwick

#4 Post by Martin Zwick » October 9th, 2019, 3:35 am

Brandon R wrote:
October 8th, 2019, 9:07 am
Looks simple and tasty, Martin, especially for one of these cool, rainy Autumn days we're having. My family isn't a huge goat cheese group, so would Mascarpone be a suitable substitute? I've got a nice batch of homemade chicken broth in the freezer. For a dish like this, I imagine a super high quality broth is important given that it's a significant part of the dish.

Brandon,

this recipe is traditionally based on leftover dough and cheese. So choose the cheese of your liking. Mascarpone is low on flavor, so you should add another cheese with strong flavor like Peccorino or Parmesan or other cheese.

Good quality broth is essential.
“We will take America without firing a shot. We do not have to invade the U.S. We will destroy you from within”

Martin Zwick

#5 Post by Martin Zwick » October 9th, 2019, 3:40 am

P.S. it turned out that to serve this dish in 2 versions was perfect. First let the Raviolis cook for 2-3min in the broth, put on a plate and add fresh thyme butter on top including Parmesan. Separately serve the other Ravioli with the broth in another different plate.

I made it in 2 versions, as my wife is not fan of broth.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”