What's you favorite Vegetarian-qualifying food?

The reason for the question -

Loren Sonkin is coming to NY next weekend to see the Monday night Browns/Jets game, which is looking like the Loser Bowl after yesterday’s debacles. Loren is a vegetarian. He will be attending our pre-game tailgate and I want to provide some vegetarian-suitable food. We cook in the parking lot, so this is not a matter of making something in advance, but we have lots of cooking equipment, so there are not a lot of restrictions other than from cutting up the raw materials to ready to eat should not exceed an hour.

I will definitely make shitake and oyster mushroom risotto. Cases of Shitake and Oyster mushrooms at Restaurant Depot are so cheap it would be a sin not to make them, and risotto in the parking lot is easy.

I could go with a pasta dish, but I am looking of an idea that is more vegetably - if that is a word. I am also pizza-challenged (making round dough never works, although I saw a trick with two silpats yesterday in the parking lot that might work), so I shy away from pizza. I was thinking about Eggplant Parm, but that seems to be cutting the timing a bit close. I will be in my office during the day, so prep work will all be at the Stadium.

PS - Pairing with red wine is also helpful because the risotto doesn’t do a good job at that.

Caponata, heats well and can be served by itself or over other stuff

Tomato tart can be made ahead of time and reheated or made on site with the right equipment. I make a version of this Barefoot Contessa | Anna's Tomato Tart | Recipes

I just use a store bought frozen pastry for the crust when I don’t have time to make from scratch.

Onion tart is also a classic, just leave off the bacon (I know, it hurts to just type those last 5 words).

I’ve had several very good vegetarian chili recipes. I know the original is all about the meat, so think of it as a bean-heavy soup. I really like this version: Veggie Chili

The true kicker that really makes this version is the addition of 1/4 cup of masa. It really is excellent, and perfect for a tailgate. Not great with red wine though.

Mushrooms are great. In particular, anything with porcini or chanterelle mushrooms (my Costco has chanterelles)

You could pre cook the eggplant at home the night before and bake the parm on site.

Spinach frittata.

Bean and beet veggie burgers (not meat imitators)

Wine

Can’t ever miss with a Caprese salad (could do it with cherry tomatoes and small mozz slices to make more tailgate friendly).

Also no non-yak-palated person has ever complained about baugette, olives, and a well curated selection of cheeses.

Mushroom risotto makes a fantastic pairing for Sangiovese or Nebbiolo wines. Don’t skimp on the butter and olive oil. Serve green beans, cooked al dente, on the side.

Any decent Thai curry w/tofu, also love a good Indian veggie Korma (or most any Indian-style veggie curry). And speaking of Asian, a really great Chinese place near me makes a Sichuan-style salt & pepper dish dry fried w/tofu that’s sooooo addictively yummy.

So many good pasta dishes it’s hard to know where to even start…

Very hard to beat well-prepared bean tostadas with hot sauce.

Dang.

I’m getting hungry!

That could trigger a redux thread on red wine with spicy food. Then again, beer is the standard tailgate beverage.

On our veg days I often make Indian red lentil curry with cauliflower. finish with coriander, yoghurt and lime and serve with Indian Naan bread… One of those dishes where meat is absolutely not missed :wink:

Pair with riesling.

I like the idea of Indian. There are so many good, easy dishes to make. Plus if you suck at making pizzas, naan is super easy and can be more forgiving with different cooking surfaces.

Miso risotto. Can add mushrooms or asparagus. Actually miso anything would be good.

Chanterelle tortilla. Made like spanish tortilla, but with chanterelles instead of potatoes. Like enough sauteed chanterelles to fill the skillet, and just enough egg to cover.

Ratatouille, if you are looking for something more on the actual vegetable side rather than more mushrooms, pasta or beans/legumes. There are simple versions which work very well for limited cooking facilities and it can work with a number of wines. Also works exceptionally well reheated.

I’m always a little bemused by threads like this. As a (almost fully) vegetarian it’s rather hard to answer as there are literally thousands of options.

I’d generally advise just cooking more of whatever vegetable and side dishes you would normally cook. If you have the bbq going just wrap veggies in foil with herbs and spices and throw them on. Courgette and Marrow are in season here and ideal, just slice almost through finger wide and cram the slices. But don’t feel the need for meat substitutes, even on the form of ‘mushroom steaks’ etc.

What is your stock for the risotto? Vegetable stock?

That is my preferred choice. I made some at the villa we rented after spending three hours at the farmer’s market in Asti, where the vegetables were so good that the result was outstanding. I have to figure out if I can do it in the time period I have. Lots of cutting the way I do it and I like to do that and then sautee the vegetables first.

Yes. I can’t very well use Lobster stock, which is my preferred choice when making seafood risotto.