Looking for dining recos in Toulouse, Marseille and Genoa

You people know everything, so thanks in advance. Our daughter will finish off a quarter in Lacoste studying and we are meeting her and traveling to Rome. There are plenty threads for Rome… any and all recommendations are appreciated. We are going in November. Thanks.

Those aren’t exactly foodie destinations, but I you are travelling from Marseille to Genua, you might try to stop at Mirazur, close to Menton.

In Marseille is the 3 star Passedat Le Petit Nice, an all fish and seafood restaurant. Incredible view from the dining room, 3 star cooking and a wine list heavy on white burgundy.

Thank you Gentlemen.

I live in Toulouse and can give you many recos (specially bistronomy, excellent and inexpensive)

But tell me the range of restaurant you are looking for (Passédat and Mirazur are among the best restaurants in the world).

Allow me to answer for Toulouse :

2 stars :
Michel Sarran
Le Puits St-Jacques (Pujaudran – 30 kms away)

1 star :
En pleine nature (Fonsegrives – 10 kms away)
Le 7 (Place St-Sernin)
Py-R
La Promenade (Verfeil – 20 kms away)

Other (mainly bistronomy) :
Les planeurs (japanese team, french food)
La binocle (japanese cook, french food)
Le rocher de la vierge
Hédone (only one table, 12 people)
Bacaro (huge wine list, specialy italian with some of the best Barolos ; Rinaldi, B. Mascarello, Burlotto, …)

L’équilibre (Balma – 5 kms away)
Contrepied (brand new)
Hito (brand new - japanese cook, french food)
Vivants
Les passionnés
L’air de famille
Jeannot (seafood)
Le Parisien
Place Mage
Colette (brand new)
La pente douce
Balthazar
Solides
Le Genty Magre
Une table à 2

Wine shops - Lunch only :
Temps vendanges (open Thursday evening)
Tire-Bouchon (open Friday evening, in summer)

Best wine bar in the world : N°5 wine bar

1 Like

Genoa not a foodie destination?!?? Guess you haven’t been to the city that invented pesto.
I’m on the road, so don’t have access to my notes but one of the best seafood destinations I’ve ever been too.

This is a very low key affair for us. We are flying into Toulouse and then to Lacoste to pick up our daughter. Then we have no set agenda, nor have we made any reservations so far. Bistronomy seems to be a fine, operative word. Thank you.

And thank you Laurent!

FWIW, L’Entrecote in Toulouse is a low key, fun, and happening place for meat eaters.

I hesitate to chime in here, as Laurent is a local resident and has impeccable taste, but we ate a very good, unfancy, and deeply satisfying meal at Le Bon Vivre in Toulouse on the recommendation of a local acquaintance who recommended it for their sud ouest cuisine (cassoulet, saucisse de Toulouse, and foie gras, as good or better than we’ve eaten anywhere, including our month long sojourn in the area). I think we were there on a Sunday and the only tourists in the restaurant. We had a rolicking good time with the local denizens, too.

http://lebonvivre.com/bienvenue

I did dot mention Le Bon vivre (Place Wilson) and l’entrecôte (boulevards), that I judge very basic.

You could find some pleasure there (even if you like to queue longly at the Entrecôte which moreover proposes a very indigent wine list).

But they are clearly not my adresses.
For meat, I recommand Philibert (côte de boeuf, 2 people) - Place St-Etienne - and the view on a beautiful cathedral.
Or Gueuleton (Rue Peyrolières, with maturated meats).

For typical cassoulet, try Emile (Place St-Georges) or le colombier (Rue Bayard).

Carpe Diem [cheers.gif]

Le Rocher de la Vierge !

I was at Le Rocher de la Vierge yesterday.
Very good team … (moreover strongly recommended by "le fooding).

I was at Le Rocher de la Vierge yesterday.
Very good team … (moreover strongly recommended by "le fooding).
[/quote]

Kind of a side point, but do you find le Fooding restaurant recommendations reliable?

Kind of a side point, but do you find le Fooding restaurant recommendations reliable?
[/quote]

I would mostly say yes. The 10 answers, on the website :
Le Rocher de la Vierge
Les Passionnés
Philibert
Solides
Motchiya : japanese cook and food - average - lunch only
M. Cyclofood : I do not use their services
Les Têtes d’Ail : interesting address, close to Hito
Les P’tits Fayots : ups and downs
La Pente Douce
Place Mage

(they surely forget “La binocle”)

Thank you so much! I will try to report back along the way.

Barry, in Genoa for a day (with family). Would appreciate hearing about any tips!