Westchester is finally getting some great restaurants

Incredibly affluent with a million plus population, and few good restaurants let alone great.

La Panatiere was my go to, although quite staid, the food was excellent.

In the space of a week, two restaurants surpassed good and easily hit great. MP Taverna which I described in the thread about Herbert and 1977 tasting. Yesterday, an utterly brilliant meal at Ibiza in Chappaqua. We left ourselves in the chef, Ignacio’s hands. Tapas followed course after course, creative and delicious. Pulpo on paella, two types of Escabeche, one sardine, one anchovy, cod croquette, pork cheeks, sliced duck etc. etc. and four desserts. They have a magic touch there.

I’ll have to check out Ibiza. I’m under the impression that La Panatiere is closing??

Our new favorite restaurant is Hudson House in Nyack. We discovered them 18 months ago. They’ve been around 25 years. FYI, BYO for $25. Good food and service. The owner knows how to work the room.

Wow, haven’t been there in 5+ years but recall some good meals. So long as you’re driving to Rockland have you tried the X restaurants - Xaviers, Freelance Cafe and Restaurant X (nee Bully Boy)?

I’ll second Mark on Ibiza (utterly brilliant is a good descriptor of Tue meal) and MP Taverna.

Jay, Peter Kelly sold Xaviers & Freelance in Piermont a few years ago. I think he still has X as well as X2O in Yonkers . I loved the old Piermont Xaviers (I’m less enamored of X2O but should give it another shot, just tried a couple times when first opened)

It’s true that dining in Westchester has improved a lot over last couple decades. It was really a wasteland. Now in Rivertowns alone I can happily eat at MP Taverna, L’Inizio, Harpers, Cookery (with earplugs), St George.

And of course Westchester has Blue Hill at Stone Barns.

I hear ya [rofl.gif] We love that place and keep saying we want to do the pig dinner there.

The hot new restaurant in Westchester is Goosefeathers located in the old Tarrytown Conference Center. Mixed review, some successes but overall not rushing back. Chinese fusion cooking, and for what it is, expensive. Potstickers made with dry aged beef, hot in the middle, coldish at the ends, and if the beef was dry aged, it was not apparent. The chicken wings are excellent, although they could have been crisper. Both appetizers were in the $15 range.

The half duck was stunning, but again could have been served hotter. Sliced and med rare, it would have been a showstopper without the temperature problems. The broccoli was a horror; incredibly bitter, and so bad we could not eat it (it was comped, as it should have been).

Service excellent, although as restaurant got busier, it became a little fraught. Corkage was $35 ( I bought Krug MV).

Not a patch on Ibiza and MP Taverna, but it has not been open long, and might be better when they have time to get their act together.

Thanks Mark I’ve been wondering about Goosefeathers.
“Chinese Fusion” seems to be a trend, and I like concept, but only place I’ve tried in Westchester (where Hunan Village used to be) was terrible.

Mr. Chow in Mamaroneck has been my favorite Chinese restaurant in Westchester as of late. So far, everything I’ve had there, from the Soup Dumplings to the 3 Cup Chicken has been the best I’ve found up here.

3 cup chicken?

Taiwanese dish:

Mark, Any decent pizza north of Briarcliff? The couple I’ve been to locally are not what I remember as great NY pizza. There was Craft Pizza and Beer in Pleasantville which was excellent but now that is no longer convenient.

The short answer is no. The two best I have come across are south of Briarcliff, the best is in Dobbs Ferry called the Parlor and is well worth the drive.

The other is in a family Italian place called Tramonto, with very good Pizza, and good food generally.

Thanks…figured being back in NY that there would be good pizza everywhere compared to Boston…

Probably true