Popeyes Chicken Sandwich

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Re: Popeyes Chicken Sandwich

#51 Post by c fu » August 26th, 2019, 6:43 pm

EHeffner wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 6:09 pm
But is it better than the spicy chicken sandwich from Wendy’s or Chik fil A? Popeyes has a spicy option too, right? Faturday coming early!
Popeyes has spicy too

Definitely better than wendy’s
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

EHeffner

#52 Post by EHeffner » August 26th, 2019, 7:09 pm

Will try to snag one within the next week or two but reading reports some areas are sold out until October? Craziness
E v @ n

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#53 Post by c fu » August 26th, 2019, 7:30 pm

EHeffner wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 7:09 pm
Will try to snag one within the next week or two but reading reports some areas are sold out until October? Craziness
That seems a bit unbelievable. But a lot of the stores sell out early. Some only sell them during peak meal hours. One near me ran out Saturday and won’t have additional stock until Tuesday.

My friend’s coworker just bought 60 sandwiches for their office lunch today O_O
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#54 Post by Robert M yers » August 26th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Had Popeyes today, but the sandwich was sold out. The one I go to is constantly chaos (in the best possible way), but somehow they manage to make good bird. It’s the alt universe Chick Fila, dirty floor, a dozen people whom appear to be doing whatever they want, and most thankfully I don’t get slapped with a half dozen of the oh so genuine “my pleasure(s)”. I asked for just gravy with no potatoes today and thought I was going to get tossed out :)

I’ve never even had the tenders at Popeyes but thought about it today. Sometimes I’ll just buy tenders at chick fila and use this to make a sandwich or sliders on better bread with my own condiments at home. A quick reheat in the oven makes then crispy fresh.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#55 Post by c fu » August 26th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 8:05 pm
Had Popeyes today, but the sandwich was sold out. The one I go to is constantly chaos (in the best possible way), but somehow they manage to make good bird. It’s the alt universe Chick Fila, dirty floor, a dozen people whom appear to be doing whatever they want, and most thankfully I don’t get slapped with a half dozen of the oh so genuine “my pleasure(s)”. I asked for just gravy with no potatoes today and thought I was going to get tossed out :)

I’ve never even had the tenders at Popeyes but thought about it today. Sometimes I’ll just buy tenders at chick fila and use this to make a sandwich or sliders on better bread with my own condiments at home. A quick reheat in the oven makes then crispy fresh.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#56 Post by Robert M yers » August 26th, 2019, 9:01 pm

Haha, that could have been me today in the back lot after the gravy incident. The girl at the register was just adamant about ringing it in. I kept saying, can’t you leave it as is (mashed potatoes) and just skip the ice cream scoop of potatoes? We had the whole place in a tizzy until some other innocent catastrophe came up, and the whole thing dropped in a snap. Hilariously then, the guy in front of me who had paid and was waiting the 8 min for spicy chicken decides he wants to know how much a side of gravy is. No one could tell him, and he wouldn’t let up. seizing the opportunity to diffuse the chaos a guy comes from the back scoops some gravy and just hands it to the guy. Should have been named Manager on the spot. Not sure I can go back tomorrow...

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#57 Post by c fu » August 26th, 2019, 9:50 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 9:01 pm
Haha, that could have been me today in the back lot after the gravy incident. The girl at the register was just adamant about ringing it in. I kept saying, can’t you leave it as is (mashed potatoes) and just skip the ice cream scoop of potatoes? We had the whole place in a tizzy until some other innocent catastrophe came up, and the whole thing dropped in a snap. Hilariously then, the guy in front of me who had paid and was waiting the 8 min for spicy chicken decides he wants to know how much a side of gravy is. No one could tell him, and he wouldn’t let up. seizing the opportunity to diffuse the chaos a guy comes from the back scoops some gravy and just hands it to the guy. Should have been named Manager on the spot. Not sure I can go back tomorrow...
They are so busy they don’t have to think. Just fry chicken. Put already. Put pickle. Bun. Haphazardly wrap sandwich and repeat
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Craig G » August 26th, 2019, 9:55 pm

c fu wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 4:51 pm
Nick Gangas wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 4:47 pm
it's the best national fast food item I can think of.
My in laws are picking up my daughter from school tomorrow so my wife and I are going to have a dinner date.

She texted me and asked if we could get Popeyes and eat the sandwich there instead of doing take out due to the kid. I might even splurge and let her get fries
How much is corkage?
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

ERPark

#59 Post by ERPark » August 26th, 2019, 10:30 pm

Craig G wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 9:55 pm
c fu wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 4:51 pm
Nick Gangas wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 4:47 pm
it's the best national fast food item I can think of.
My in laws are picking up my daughter from school tomorrow so my wife and I are going to have a dinner date.

She texted me and asked if we could get Popeyes and eat the sandwich there instead of doing take out due to the kid. I might even splurge and let her get fries
How much is corkage?
Sneak peek of Chuckles tomorrow with a bottle of Juge to accompany his Popeyes spicy chicken sando with extra sauce and pickles.

21EBF407-9B6D-4B84-991C-F69D344BF73B.jpeg
GEN3

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Scott Brunson » August 27th, 2019, 3:09 am

Robert M yers wrote:
The Popeye's spicy tenders are great.
You won't be sorry.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#61 Post by c fu » August 27th, 2019, 9:12 am

Scott Brunson wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 3:09 am
Robert M yers wrote:
The Popeye's spicy tenders are great.
You won't be sorry.
Two years ago a restaurant in Southern California was selling these incredible chicken and waffles es. No one knew how she made it other than it had really crispy moist chicken tenders. One day someone caught her unpacking Popeyes chicken tenders and refrying them and then plating them .

A year later when popeyes decided to launch their sandwich , they premiered it at her restaurant!

https://www.eater.com/2019/8/8/20759070 ... n-sandwich
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#62 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » August 27th, 2019, 10:56 am

I first went to Popeye's in New Orleans in 1980...yikes. It was legendary then, and had not expanded out of the NOLA region. Though I eat little to no fast food, I still think Popeye's is very reliable for slaw, red beans (I order no rice) and chicken in all forms. There is one not far from my office. I went Sat at 11:10 am. The car line was into the street; I parked next door and walked into the store to find a line of 15+ people. So, whether it's the $3.99 price or the great PR, a wave of demand has been created. I was traveling by car to western PA last week; my son, a law student went with me. We couldn't find a Popeye's, but found a stand-alone Chik-fil-A, which he really likes. I wasn't impressed, though I had a nice salad with their pieces. Not sure why the pieces didn't impress me...weird texture....maybe. But, the place was also packed. I'm sure the Popeye's is good. Whether it will stay at $3.99 is doubtful, I'd guess.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by David K o l i n » August 27th, 2019, 12:35 pm

DED71EA5-2083-4FBC-94E4-FA1591E2644C.jpeg

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Steve Manzi » August 27th, 2019, 3:16 pm

We drove up to Boston on Thursday and we were "starving" and in a dead area. Got off where they said there was "food" and we had a choice: Wendys/Popeye's. We almost NEVER eat fast food anymore. And I have never had anything from Popeye's...ever.

We decided on Popeye's. The line for drive up was insane, so we went in. Was very crowded, and I just happened to order the Spicy Chicken sandwich. Surprisingly, it was really satisfying. Moist as hell, slightly spicy, and the only complaint was that it was under sauced, so to speak. But I would definitely get it again...in a pinch situation.

I wouldn't spend a dime in Chick-filatio ....EVER.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Alan Rath » August 27th, 2019, 4:37 pm

ERPark wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 9:07 am
So I went on a bit of an odyssey thru southeastern Atlanta this past Wednesday afternoon, in my quest to have the Popeyes chicken sando before my flight out of Hartsfield Jackson. The first Popeyes I tried was on Tara Blvd in Jonesboro. They were out of both of the chicken sandos, as well as the jambalaya and red beans & rice (rb&r).
What? Charlie is cornering the market on Popeyes too? That guy is everywhere! neener
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Alan Rath » August 27th, 2019, 4:38 pm

c fu wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 6:43 pm
Popeyes has spicy too

Definitely better than wendy’s
I ate my lifetime's allotment of chicken sandwiches at Wendy's in the 70s and 80s [wow.gif]

PeterJ

#67 Post by PeterJ » August 28th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Missed the chicken sandwich by a day or so I guess. Went today and bought spicy chicken tenders and slaw. Took them home and put them on a soft roll with Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce, pickle relish and some of the slaw. Have to say it was pretty darn good!!!
Peter J@ckel

BLittle
Contributor
Contributor

#68 Post by BLittle » August 28th, 2019, 3:29 pm

picked one up in Bakersfield on the 20th on my way down to my Broker Dealer conference in La Costa. was offered choice of sauce but was eating in the car so declined. Spicy chicken, ice tea and fries were $7.50 (pretty bad fries). Sammy was great and worthy of the hype. Chicken was moist, crispy crust with good seasoning, bun kept its integrity. Best bites involved the pickle and sauce... the later was lacking a bit. Absolutely worth the hype. Different animal than the Chick Fil A, and very much prefer this version.
Tried the same "fishing hole" on the way back Sunday and line of 15 cars so went to in n out.
Brett Cyril Little (AKA BC)

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Peter Kleban » August 28th, 2019, 3:37 pm

EHeffner wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 7:09 pm
Headline in the Guardian:
Out Of Cluck
Bob Wood:
"Peter..your well-reasoned words were a waste of time."
WsOTY:
Rioja Alta Grn Res 904 '05
Patricia Green PN Dijon 115 Freedom Hill '15
Kenefick Cab S '03
Heidsieck Mono Blue Top Brt NV
W Schaefer Gr. Hreich Ausl #4 '15
G Marsella Fiano di Avellino '15
Petrolo Galatrona '13
Daniel Dampt et Fils Chablis 1er Côte de Léchet '16

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Adam Noble » August 28th, 2019, 5:43 pm

The Popeyes near me was sold out today. On the other hand, Bok a Bok, the Korean fried chicken place a block away has a fantastic soy garlic fried chicken sandwich that was totally worth the $8.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » August 28th, 2019, 6:23 pm

As fast food goes, love that chicken from Popeye's (and biscuits, mashed/gravy, and red beans). Spicy on the chicken, of course.

Agree that I'd never get a white-meant chicken sandwich over dark-meat fried chicken absent extenuating circumstances like eating in the car.

Popeye's taking on CFA? It's on! [popcorn.gif]

Mods, please change popcorn bag to bucket of Popeye's!

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Michael Martin » August 28th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Steve Manzi wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 3:16 pm
We drove up to Boston on Thursday and we were "starving" and in a dead area. Got off where they said there was "food" and we had a choice: Wendys/Popeye's. We almost NEVER eat fast food anymore. And I have never had anything from Popeye's...ever.

We decided on Popeye's. The line for drive up was insane, so we went in. Was very crowded, and I just happened to order the Spicy Chicken sandwich. Surprisingly, it was really satisfying. Moist as hell, slightly spicy, and the only complaint was that it was under sauced, so to speak. But I would definitely get it again...in a pinch situation.

I wouldn't spend a dime in Chick-filatio ....EVER.
A chicky fil a with extra pickles... any day of the week, of course except Sunday when they are closed. neener

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by B. Buzzini » August 28th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Made our own tonight. Have not had Popeyes yet...NO way i'm waiting in line for fast food...so went to local Raley's grocery store and picked up their deli ready chicken tenders. Baked them at home...pretty juicy and a good crust crunch...toasted a brioche bun, slathered mayo, and added dill pickles(Popeyes uses "sour" pickles, but couldn't find them?). MY secret though...I added some rosemary! Ever since I had a bucket of fried chicken from Thomas Keller's AD HOC that has rosemary sprinkled on it...I use it EVERYTIME when making fried chicken! Makes it "gourmet" and adds a really nice herbal freshness to the fried. The sandwich was a HUGE hit! Now I need to try one of the Popeyes to see how it compares!

Oh...and a bottle(or2) of Champagne to accompany is a must!
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Jay Miller » August 29th, 2019, 3:18 am

The company is all sold out. Impressive.
Last edited by Jay Miller on September 2nd, 2019, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by M. Dildine » August 30th, 2019, 4:40 pm

We enjoyed Popeyes in Houston. I wish there was a Popeyes around us here. [cry.gif]
Cheers,

Mike

Alex N

#76 Post by Alex N » August 30th, 2019, 9:38 pm

So some guy got hustled on Craigslist for $25 for some phony under the table Popeye's sammy's behind one of the restaurants and now he's suiting Popeye's. [cheers.gif]
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/te ... s-n1048321
@13x N1ch•!z

T Klonoski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by T Klonoski » August 31st, 2019, 6:47 am

Alan Rath wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 4:38 pm
I ate my lifetime's allotment of chicken sandwiches at Wendy's in the 70s and 80s [wow.gif]
Pretty sure that Wendy's did not introduce chicken sandwiches until 1990. Their website seems to confirm this.
T0m

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Mike Evans » August 31st, 2019, 7:07 am

T Klonoski wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 6:47 am
Alan Rath wrote:
Pretty sure that Wendy's did not introduce chicken sandwiches until 1990. Their website seems to confirm this.
1990 is when they introduced a grilled chicken sandwich. They already had fried and spicy chicken sandwiches at that time.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Alan Rath » August 31st, 2019, 8:33 am

Mike Evans wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 7:07 am
T Klonoski wrote:
Alan Rath wrote:
1990 is when they introduced a grilled chicken sandwich. They already had fried and spicy chicken sandwiches at that time.
You guys will argue over anything neener

No idea about the grilled chicken, but as a poor, starving grad student, a chicken sandwich with extra lettuce and tomato was a pretty good meal for whatever cheap price it was back then.

T Klonoski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by T Klonoski » September 1st, 2019, 3:16 am

Alan Rath wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 8:33 am
Mike Evans wrote:
August 31st, 2019, 7:07 am
T Klonoski wrote:

You guys will argue over anything neener

No idea about the grilled chicken, but as a poor, starving grad student, a chicken sandwich with extra lettuce and tomato was a pretty good meal for whatever cheap price it was back then.
Okay, I will concede 1980s but not 1970s. [wow.gif]
T0m

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by dcornutt » September 2nd, 2019, 3:53 pm

David K o l i n wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 12:35 pm
DED71EA5-2083-4FBC-94E4-FA1591E2644C.jpeg
This is so funny! I tried Popeyes spicy sandwich. The actual chicken is excellent. The bun I am not a fan. The aioli with cajun spice really didn't
make the sandwich better for me. I am still a fan of chick fil a when they are " a pointe". That being said there is no better chicken than popeyes spicy to me
that doesn't come from a specialty place.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Victor Hong

#82 Post by Victor Hong » September 3rd, 2019, 2:43 am

WineHunter.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by Anton D » September 3rd, 2019, 9:20 am

I am sure it's national, we love our local diner's "Broasted Chicken."

Huge pieces of moist meat with great thin crust.

They beat Popeye's in our taste off, but I love that chicken from Popeye's!

KFC is not for my palate. Nor Church's.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Mark Y » September 3rd, 2019, 9:42 am

probably been said already.. but i don't think Chick-fil-A sandwichs are anything special.. but that SAUCE is amazing. plus i like the grilled sandwich so much more.. fried is just too greasy..
sauce + grilled chicken sandwich makes CF great..

pop eye is just good fried chicken. sandwich or not. but it's still fried chicken..
Y.e.

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by K John Joseph » September 3rd, 2019, 10:07 pm

Anton D wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 9:20 am
Church's is extremely poor man's Popeyes. KFC is in a different category. That said, I love fresh, hot, just fried KFC before the skin gets soggy. Actually, I love nearly any fresh, hot, just fried chicken, but prefer Popeyes. And the red beans and rice...oh lawdy!

My Mom's family would get Popeye's every Friday evening during the summers when folks were in town congregating at my grandparents. Bunches of aunts and uncles and cousins. I absolutely love a breast, thigh, drumstick, biscuit, and side of red beans and rice. And as I got older, an ice cold beer instead of a coke.
J0hn-J-K4ne

ScottieV

#86 Post by ScottieV » September 5th, 2019, 9:41 am

should be back in stock in 2-3 weeks and stocked up for the long-term...can't wait
Scott A. van Kerkhove
LSUScott @ me . Com

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#87 Post by c fu » September 6th, 2019, 9:43 am

K John Joseph wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 10:07 pm
Anton D wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 9:20 am
Church's is extremely poor man's Popeyes. KFC is in a different category. That said, I love fresh, hot, just fried KFC before the skin gets soggy. Actually, I love nearly any fresh, hot, just fried chicken, but prefer Popeyes. And the red beans and rice...oh lawdy!

My Mom's family would get Popeye's every Friday evening during the summers when folks were in town congregating at my grandparents. Bunches of aunts and uncles and cousins. I absolutely love a breast, thigh, drumstick, biscuit, and side of red beans and rice. And as I got older, an ice cold beer instead of a coke.
Yeah Church's is weak now. Dunno what it is, but it's just not as good as popeyes. Fresh KFC original is pretty bomb. Dunno if anyone has a Pioneer chicken next to them, but that's good fast food fried chicken as well
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Rick Bollig
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by Rick Bollig » September 7th, 2019, 5:42 am

When I was young, I worked at a local chain called The Drumstick. The chicken was outstanding, it had a thin crust which I prefer (flour, dip in milk, flour again, then into the fryer). They’re long gone, but luckily one of their employees started a copycat way back in the 60s called the Wishbone. Exact same menu and recipes, and it’s still around making great chicken to this day (it’s a sit-down place). Better yet, it’s only 4-5 miles from me. I go there for chicken every couple of months.

I do like Popeye’s too, but there isn’t one very close to me.

J. Rock

#89 Post by J. Rock » September 12th, 2019, 11:50 am

Don't worry guys, we're back in business!
J o r d a n

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”