Another Flannery PSA

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Don Y.

Re: Another Flannery PSA

#651 Post by Don Y. »

Any suggestions on how to cook Flannery's 24oz KC strip? No access to a grill right now unfortunately.
D.Yates

Joe Chanley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#652 Post by Joe Chanley »

Reverse sear in oven at 250 until 110 degrees, then Sear in a ripping hot pan to finish

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#653 Post by Betty C »

Rodrigo B wrote: December 11th, 2020, 9:56 am Never done a Flannery or a dry age roast before so this is going to be two new experiences in one, but here’s my game plan for the Christmas roast:

I’m skipping dry brining as the roast is already dry aged, no need to have it dry out more. I’ll season it after I take it out of the fridge to come up to room temp, should give it some time to penetrate a bit of the meat, but not enough to dry it out much more.

I like to debone my rib roasts before cooking and tie it back on the bone. I find that the seasoning is more even that way (seems even more important now with the dry age not facilitating dry brining) and makes carving a bit easier later.

Salt and pepper as seasoning. I want to be able to taste the meat, not mask its flavour behind other seasonings. The pan sauce/gravy will add some more flavour and seasoning if needed. Reverse searing it @250F to cook it to temp. Blasting it in a super hot oven when it’s time for dinner.
Go ahead and salt overnight so it has a chance to really season the roast. If they can take it to 100 days of aging with incredibly delicious results, one night of salting won’t turn it into jerky. (I always salt my 100-day ribeyes overnight and that is considerably smaller than a 30-day aged whole roast.)
Ch00 (pronounced “cancel”)

“Woke White” - M Hudson

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#654 Post by Brian Tuite »

Rodrigo B wrote: December 11th, 2020, 9:56 am Never done a Flannery or a dry age roast before so this is going to be two new experiences in one, but here’s my game plan for the Christmas roast:

I’m skipping dry brining as the roast is already dry aged, no need to have it dry out more. I’ll season it after I take it out of the fridge to come up to room temp, should give it some time to penetrate a bit of the meat, but not enough to dry it out much more.

I like to debone my rib roasts before cooking and tie it back on the bone. I find that the seasoning is more even that way (seems even more important now with the dry age not facilitating dry brining) and makes carving a bit easier later.

Salt and pepper as seasoning. I want to be able to taste the meat, not mask its flavour behind other seasonings. The pan sauce/gravy will add some more flavour and seasoning if needed. Reverse searing it @250F to cook it to temp. Blasting it in a super hot oven when it’s time for dinner.
You can’t dry these roasts out. I salt mine and let them sit in the fridge for 2 days before cooking.

You can request that they debone and tie the roast back on and they’ll do it for you before shipping.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#655 Post by Rodrigo B »

Brian Tuite wrote: December 14th, 2020, 7:58 pm

You can’t dry these roasts out. I salt mine and let them sit in the fridge for 2 days before cooking.

You can request that they debone and tie the roast back on and they’ll do it for you before shipping.
Looks like I’ll be salting them overnight per your and Betty’s recommendation. Thanks for that.

Good to know know Flannery will debone it and tie it back it, but I like to buy them bone-in and o the work myself. While the folks at Flannery are probably better at butchering than me, I enjoy breaking meat down and more opportunities to practice and improve is always better.
B r @ g @

CT: rcb25
IG: r.c.b.25

Joe Chanley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#656 Post by Joe Chanley »

Rodrigo B wrote: December 15th, 2020, 4:13 am
Brian Tuite wrote: December 14th, 2020, 7:58 pm

Looks like I’ll be salting them overnight per your and Betty’s recommendation. Thanks for that.

Good to know know Flannery will debone it and tie it back it, but I like to buy them bone-in and o the work myself. While the folks at Flannery are probably better at butchering than me, I enjoy breaking meat down and more opportunities to practice and improve is always better.
You dont have to special request it, they have an actual item on the website that you can buy with this option.

Siun o'Connell
BerserkerDay Council
BerserkerDay Council

#657 Post by Siun o'Connell »

Rodrigo B wrote: December 15th, 2020, 4:13 am
Not sure if you saw it since I think this as before you became a Berserker, there was a really fun zoom meeting with the Flannery’s:

Andrew Kotowski

#658 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

>> Good to know know Flannery will debone it and tie it back it, but I like to buy them bone-in and o the work myself. While the folks at Flannery are probably better at butchering than me, I enjoy breaking meat down and more opportunities to practice and improve is always better.

Man after my own heart here. I remember having a blast buying things at the "farmers' market" and then bringing it home and trying to figure out how to break it down based on YouTube videos. Actually got pretty good with rabbit carcasses. I will tell you you, however, that French butchers take great offense to this approach :D
Instagram at @akgrill

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#659 Post by Michael Sopher »

Tri tip leftover ideas??? Sandwich is the obvious... dressed or paired how? Any other ideas?

By happenstance, last night was eating a tri tip while watching Jeopardy and "tri tip"... or "what is the tri tip" was a correct response

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#660 Post by Brian Tuite »

Michael Sopher wrote: January 11th, 2021, 11:46 pm Tri tip leftover ideas??? Sandwich is the obvious... dressed or paired how? Any other ideas?

By happenstance, last night was eating a tri tip while watching Jeopardy and "tri tip"... or "what is the tri tip" was a correct response
I’ve used it for Stroganoff and it was great.

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Sean Devaney

#661 Post by Sean Devaney »

Brian Tuite wrote: January 12th, 2021, 6:19 am
Michael Sopher wrote: January 11th, 2021, 11:46 pm Tri tip leftover ideas??? Sandwich is the obvious... dressed or paired how? Any other ideas?

I’ve used it for Stroganoff and it was great.
My BIL uses leftovers for chili. Stroganoff sound really good.

Andrew Kotowski

#662 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Couple of easy leftover ideas, also great with pork chops:
* Breakfast hash - cube some potatoes and throw them in a Breville, sauté some onions and orange/yellow/red peppers. Cube the meat and toss in the pan just long enough to get it warm (i.e. don't overcook the meat) dump the potatoes in for a quick toss and then top with eggs. I add gochujang right before i put the meat in if it's just for me.
* Philly cheesesteak - self explanatory
* Chili con carne - slam dunk if you're making this
* Bagels, cream cheese and meat - thin slice it and put it on a bagel, like lox. I usually add a little finishing salt and pepper when I do this to counter the cream cheese
Instagram at @akgrill

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#663 Post by Michael Sopher »

Interesting, I would never think to dump this stuff in chili or stroganoff. and I generally avoid reheating... just let it get back to room temp as I want to preserve the "rareness". Have had great sandwiches with a horseradish cream sauce or cheddar slices and tomato.

cjsavino
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#664 Post by cjsavino »

Michael Sopher wrote: January 12th, 2021, 1:20 pm Interesting, I would never think to dump this stuff in chili or stroganoff. and I generally avoid reheating... just let it get back to room temp as I want to preserve the "rareness". Have had great sandwiches with a horseradish cream sauce or cheddar slices and tomato.
Sliced thin on good bread, under the broiler a bit, add some cheese
Chris

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#665 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

I tried the Tuite method for tri tip and it turned out really nice.

Adam G

#666 Post by Adam G »

I'm late to this, but I use leftover tritip in pasta sauces all the time. Make the sauce, dice the meat your you preferred size, but don't add it in. Cook the pasta, drain and cook in the sauce as per normal, and then mix the meat in when you turn off the stove. The meat always ends up nicely warmed up but without being significantly overcooked from the rare to medium rare I cook it to.
A. Gr0ssm@n

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#667 Post by Brian Tuite »

Berserker Blend Chili Stew

965891E0-E0AC-456A-A1EA-8C4ABA9526A0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#668 Post by Michael Sopher »

Just pulled a club roast out of the freezer for tomorrow. Pretty sure I bought the choice one for $39... but it is labeled prime dry aged. Maybe I got lucky or maybe it is mislabeled. Should know when I taste it.

M. Taylor

#669 Post by M. Taylor »

Brian Tuite wrote: January 31st, 2021, 7:00 pm Berserker Blend Chili Stew

Beans are not permitted in chili. Just sayin’
M a r k

Brent C l a y t o n

#670 Post by Brent C l a y t o n »

There are beans and I fart.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Andrew Kotowski

#671 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Grilled some hangers last night and they continue to be the best deal in meat with a 35% off sale like the one we had for Berserker Days. Served with chimichurri and a Loetje-inspired sambal sauce... and a lot of great wine (05 Jamet, 93 Quintarelli, etc)
Instagram at @akgrill

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#672 Post by Brian Tuite »

M. Taylor wrote: February 7th, 2021, 3:56 pm

That would be con carne which this isn’t. Eat your own chili.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Scott Brunson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#673 Post by Scott Brunson »

I did a meatloaf with a bag of Berserker blend, Cajun-spiced venison sausage and ground pork.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

M. Taylor

#674 Post by M. Taylor »

Brian Tuite wrote: February 7th, 2021, 8:26 pm

Yeah, no. Living in Texas all my life, I know what chili is. Chili "con carne" is a redundant term. Feel free to put beans in whatever you want, but it isn't chili. Unless you are from California. Or New York. [snort.gif]
M a r k

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#675 Post by Brian Tuite »

M. Taylor wrote: February 9th, 2021, 11:07 am

Yeah, no. Living in Texas all my life, I know what chili is. Chili "con carne" is a redundant term. Feel free to put beans in whatever you want, but it isn't chili. Unless you are from California. Or New York. [snort.gif]
But chili stew has beans in it. neener

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#676 Post by Brandon R »

M. Taylor wrote: February 9th, 2021, 11:07 am

Yeah, no. Not living in Texas ever, chili has beans it it. You're talking about meat soup. neener
B. Redman

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#677 Post by Cris Whetstone »

What would be the point of chili without beans? Don't they call that "meat sauce"?
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Brandon R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#678 Post by Brandon R »

Cris Whetstone wrote: February 9th, 2021, 4:48 pm What would be the point of chili without beans? Don't they call that "meat sauce"?
champagne.gif
B. Redman

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#679 Post by Michael Sopher »

Cris Whetstone wrote: February 9th, 2021, 4:48 pm What would be the point of chili without beans? Don't they call that "meat sauce"?
Well, the spices might be different... no chilis. That said... my NY chili has meat and beans and I would find a chili without beans to be odd.

Andrew Kotowski

#680 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!
Instagram at @akgrill

Greg Mitrakas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#681 Post by Greg Mitrakas »

Scott Brunson wrote: February 8th, 2021, 3:27 am

I did a meatloaf with a bag of Berserker blend, Cajun-spiced venison sausage and ground pork.
Funny you should say this. I was thinking of using a burger blend to do a meatloaf as well this weekend. Have not used their burger blends for anything but burgers. How did it come out?

What other uses has the board put burger blends to? I see that some have used Flannery's ground beef for chili, Texas vs. US arguments aside, and was thinking this as well. Maybe some meatballs. I got 4 lbs Berserker blend and 4 lbs rich blend. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Greg

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#682 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Greg Mitrakas wrote: February 10th, 2021, 7:14 pm

Funny you should say this. I was thinking of using a burger blend to do a meatloaf as well this weekend. Have not used their burger blends for anything but burgers. How did it come out?

What other uses has the board put burger blends to? I see that some have used Flannery's ground beef for chili, Texas vs. US arguments aside, and was thinking this as well. Maybe some meatballs. I got 4 lbs Berserker blend and 4 lbs rich blend. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Greg
Todd did Swedish meatballs.

Scott Brunson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#683 Post by Scott Brunson »

Greg Mitrakas wrote: February 10th, 2021, 7:14 pm

Thanks, Greg
Fantastic
1 lb Flannery
3 links sausage (1/2 lb maybe)
1/2 lb pork

Caramelized sweet onion, smashed garlic, etc.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Greg Mitrakas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#684 Post by Greg Mitrakas »

Cool, I will give this a run. Have to decide what to do with the sauce/glaze. That meat base will be full of flavor and want that to be the star.

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#685 Post by Brian Tuite »

Greg Mitrakas wrote: February 11th, 2021, 5:41 am Cool, I will give this a run. Have to decide what to do with the sauce/glaze. That meat base will be full of flavor and want that to be the star.
Chili Sauce - has a great consistency that allows you to apply before cooking the meat.

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Curtis Chen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#686 Post by Curtis Chen »

Andrew Kotowski wrote: February 10th, 2021, 1:04 pm Wheeeeeeeeeeee!
Damn. So sexy.
CT: Curtis Chen | IG: curtischen.jpg

“But there’s a 50/50 chance…”

Greg Mitrakas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#687 Post by Greg Mitrakas »

If anyone is looking for another great use of their ground beef, meatloaf it is. Super tasty. Used a lb each of the berkershire and rich blend, a few fresh hot italian sausages, pureed and drained onion and the usual meatloaf ingredients with a ketchup based sauce on top at the end and it was delicious. Highly recommended.

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#688 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Looks like Flannery changed the cooking section of their website so they don't have cooking instructions for each individual cut.

I haven't cooked the hanger steaks in awhile, and plan to do pan sear/oven finish method. Anyone remember for how long in a 400F oven to put them in the oven for? I thought it was less time than a NY strip or other cut, maybe 10 minutes?
CT and IG: rieslinghoarder

2021 WOTY Candidates:
2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Spätlese feinherb AP 11
2015 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard Red Barn Blocks
2001 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Spätlese Auction
2019 Emrich-Schönleber Halenberg Grosses Gewächs
2019 Morgen Long Chardonnay X Omni Vineyard

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#689 Post by Rodrigo B »

Should be 5-10 minutes in a 400F oven depending on how much time you spent searing it in the pan. I usually just use a insta read thermometer for meat. Makes it fool proof
B r @ g @

CT: rcb25
IG: r.c.b.25

Brian S t o t t e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#690 Post by Brian S t o t t e r »

Rodrigo B wrote: February 14th, 2021, 9:44 am Should be 5-10 minutes in a 400F oven depending on how much time you spent searing it in the pan. I usually just use a insta read thermometer for meat. Makes it fool proof
Thanks. I usually do 2 minutes per side for searing. Was planning to put it in the oven for 7-8 minutes.
CT and IG: rieslinghoarder

2021 WOTY Candidates:
2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Niedermenniger Herrenberg Spätlese feinherb AP 11
2015 Kelley Fox Wines Pinot Noir Maresh Vineyard Red Barn Blocks
2001 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Spätlese Auction
2019 Emrich-Schönleber Halenberg Grosses Gewächs
2019 Morgen Long Chardonnay X Omni Vineyard

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#691 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Bummer, the instructions are gone. I prefer a low oven anyway like 275, but mostly like ny strips.

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#692 Post by RyanC »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: February 14th, 2021, 5:29 pm Bummer, the instructions are gone. I prefer a low oven anyway like 275, but mostly like ny strips.
Yeah, for reverse sear I stick to ~275-325, depending on how much time I have. But I don't know how long it takes--I'm useless w/o my Thermapen to guide me.

Today I reverse-seared mis-matched filets for V-day. They were superb.
C@ughey

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#693 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

RyanC wrote: February 14th, 2021, 5:39 pm
Tom G l a s g o w wrote: February 14th, 2021, 5:29 pm Bummer, the instructions are gone. I prefer a low oven anyway like 275, but mostly like ny strips.
Yeah, for reverse sear I stick to ~275-325, depending on how much time I have. But I don't know how long it takes--I'm useless w/o my Thermapen to guide me.

Today I reverse-seared mis-matched filets for V-day. They were superb.
I have the same problem. The low oven works best if the meat is brought up to room temp.

Stephen Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#694 Post by Stephen Faulkner »

The challenge with the hangars is how unevenly thick they are. 400 would be way too hot for me and at that temp, you can go from under to overcooked quickly with a hangar, especially the thinner sections.

I use 275, but let my wife talk me into upping the temp to 300 last night to speed things up on my reverse-sear NY strip. Then I lost track of my timing at the higher temp and it came out more medium than med-rare. I was pissed thinking I had screwed it up, but Flannery is such high quality, it was still tender and moist with great flavor and only a minor step down with the peppercorn sauce. I would have been screwed at 400.

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#695 Post by John O' »

Yep, the uneveness of the hangers gives quite a range of doneness on the grill. I emailed Bryan about sous-vide and this is his response:
Absolutely can sous vide and as long as the bag is nice and tight, same bag is fine. Sometimes in transit the bags get jostled and lose enough of the seal to leak, so check for this. Internal temp- I'd probably go to 120 degrees since there will be some further cooking when seared.
O Sullivan

Stephen Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#696 Post by Stephen Faulkner »

John - you probably know there are other threads on hangers with sous vide thoughts. I don't like the texture with the sous vide and given how quick and easy they are to grill, I decided it was too much work to sous vide/reverse sear when I can get them pretty much perfect in 10 minutes or so on the grill. You just have to stay with them and keep turning.

viewtopic.php?p=3196704#p3196704

Anton D
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#697 Post by Anton D »

John O' wrote: February 15th, 2021, 10:12 am Yep, the uneveness of the hangers gives quite a range of doneness on the grill. I emailed Bryan about sous-vide and this is his response:
Absolutely can sous vide and as long as the bag is nice and tight, same bag is fine. Sometimes in transit the bags get jostled and lose enough of the seal to leak, so check for this. Internal temp- I'd probably go to 120 degrees since there will be some further cooking when seared.
Exactly this. We went to 121, seared less than 30 seconds per side. Only a quick touch of salt/pepper as we seared. No kidding, fork tender. It won steak of the night.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

John O'
GCC Member
GCC Member

#698 Post by John O' »

Stephen Faulkner wrote: February 15th, 2021, 11:09 am John - you probably know there are other threads on hangers with sous vide thoughts. I don't like the texture with the sous vide and given how quick and easy they are to grill, I decided it was too much work to sous vide/reverse sear when I can get them pretty much perfect in 10 minutes or so on the grill. You just have to stay with them and keep turning.

I'm new to sous vide and have done 1 steak that way. I had the same problem with texture, I don't think I grilled it long enough. People in my household like varying degrees of doneness, so grilling hangers works great for us.
O Sullivan

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#699 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Hangers are the one cut I don’t mind SV, but I still prefer them reverse sear. I think without the final sear I describe below the texture can be mushy.

If you’re going to SV them I’d do relatively low temp like 125 for 45 min to 1 hour, then what I do is carefully dry until perfectly dry, let sit on a cutting board for a min, pat dry again, then coat with a thin layer of Mayo then sear in super hot cast iron for a min or so a side, take out, rest a sec, slice, then sear each piece for about 10 seconds a side (just drop 6 pieces in, flip them, and take them out)

I make reverse sear the same way, oven until 115 internal then sear. I use a little Mayo because the hangers don’t have enough fat for searing and Mayo makes a perfect crust.

All this being said, they’re still better over fire.

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#700 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

John O' wrote: February 16th, 2021, 2:26 am
Stephen Faulkner wrote: February 15th, 2021, 11:09 am John - you probably know there are other threads on hangers with sous vide thoughts. I don't like the texture with the sous vide and given how quick and easy they are to grill, I decided it was too much work to sous vide/reverse sear when I can get them pretty much perfect in 10 minutes or so on the grill. You just have to stay with them and keep turning.

I'm new to sous vide and have done 1 steak that way. I had the same problem with texture, I don't think I grilled it long enough. People in my household like varying degrees of doneness, so grilling hangers works great for us.
You probably did it just fine - some of us don't like the texture of SV steak, pretty much ever. Some people don't notice a difference, or don't mind the difference. Fortunately, there are lots of different methods.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”