Good thing I’m paying corkage.

I have a 2001 Martha’s Vineyard standing up for dinner tonight to celebrate Dario turning 18. I decide to take a look at the Manny’s Steakhouse wine list in case I need a backup bottle…

https://mannyssteakhouse.com/menus/Wine.pdf

And the thing is— their list is better than most. But those 4x retail markups [swearing.gif] say “enjoy a nice craft beer or cocktail“

A good reason to eat at home.

Yeah, it’s hard to beat a home cooked meal.

Let us know how the 01 is. I had the 78 and 91 earlier this week. The 78 was off the charts good and in prime drinking window. 91 was excellent but I think it still might be better with some more years. Certainly no rush to drink.

At least they have a young fresh ‘14 Marthas for your $415 and not some old worn out ‘01 that’s been laying around for 18 years. neener

I get a bit spoiled as I’m often able to eat at nice steakhouses for work. Still even on someone else’s dime
I consider it a poor value as the quality almost never is where it should be. So much better to shell out for good ingredients and cook at home, where the list isn’t 4x retail, the stems don’t suck and the corkage is free.

I used to halfheartedly believe this. I then I ordered some Flannery, so much better than 99% of what’s offered at a restaurant. I also don’t need 16oz of meat.

So the ‘01 was tasty. Our waiter was a bit clueless. I told him I’d been careful to stand it up and then not shake up the sediment. He said “yeah totally” and then grabbed the bottle and dumped it into a water pitcher. I had to stop him from pouring the dregs. So it was a bit chewier than it might have been. I didn’t take any notes, but it was really tasty, with the Merlot coming to the front. Lots of cocoa, some tobacco but a bit of nice menthol. I’d say it’s in the window, but no hurry.

Sorry to hear that Chris.

Sometimes Manny’s does Coravin style pours of nicer BTG selections - see what they’ve got when you’re in there. Otherwise yeah, it’s an expense account only place. Pro tip - last time I went Murray’s had $15 corkage, and I think it’s better regardless.

The aged beef was really great. Made me realize what I’ve been missing lately. It was a fun night and admittedly, I can be a bit geekier about the wine than their typical guest. You guys know how it is when you are really excited to have a wine show best. It was a small thing in the grand scheme of a great birthday celebration.

Waiters are pretty well always clueless.
I have started double decanting at home.

What is the second figure on the menu?

I’m guessing it’s something like a ‘bin number’ so the waiter knows where to find it

I’d love to sell them one of my Old Sparky’s that cost $400. Yikes > $2000 on the list. I often wonder if wine prices can be negotiated.

I’d think at the 4 figure level there’s wiggle room, but you probably have to call ahead. Anyone ever try this?

As I recall there was a thread on it somewhere - it’s been tried. I haven’t done it myself but I do know somebody who has (successfully).

Chris, glad to hear the meal was good. I used to frequent Manny’s all of the time when I was working in downtown Minneapolis at a client across the street. Always enjoyed it.