In'n'Out Burger Fries

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Alex N

In'n'Out Burger Fries

#1 Post by Alex N » June 6th, 2019, 8:59 am

How does this place serve up one of the most cherished burgers in Southern California (double double animal style with cheese) make it's traditional accompaniment so atrocious? Cut fresh potatoes, immediately dumped in oil and single fried for a tray of the most flimsy, pale yellow cardboard excuse for fries on planet earth. No blanching or soaking or double frying. Sure you can order them well done for a tray of crispy grease bombs, or go animal style so the cheese, onions and sauce mask the atrocity underneath. Am I alone with this? [scratch.gif]
Alex Nichols

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: In'n'Out Burger Fries

#2 Post by Craig G » June 6th, 2019, 9:05 am

You are not alone.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Kenny H » June 6th, 2019, 9:09 am

They are awful.

However they likely have the highest margin on fries in the business since the only people involved with the fries are a potato farmer and some minimum wage skater dude.
H0eve!kamp

Yao C

#4 Post by Yao C » June 6th, 2019, 9:12 am

Alex N wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 8:59 am
Sure you can order them well done for a tray of crispy grease bombs
I've always thought these were pretty good; chacun son gout and all that...
C h 0 o n 6

PeterJ

#5 Post by PeterJ » June 6th, 2019, 9:35 am

They also seem to cut the potatoes crosswise, making them the shortest fries around. I always get them ‘well done’ and don’t find them greasy though. People have tried to compare In-n-Out to Shake Shack for some reason. With one close to twice the price of the other, I find In-n-Out a much better value hands down.
Peter J@ckel

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Michael Martin » June 6th, 2019, 10:02 am

Best mass produced fries (and perhaps arguably the best burger) is Shake Shack.

Bill Tex Landreth

#7 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » June 6th, 2019, 10:06 am

Kenny H wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 9:09 am
They are awful.

However they likely have the highest margin on fries in the business since the only people involved with the fries are a potato farmer and some minimum wage skater dude.
In our neck of the woods, the people behind the counter are paid considerably more than minimum wage, and I have never encountered a 'skater dude'.

The fries are bad.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Sean Devaney

#8 Post by Sean Devaney » June 6th, 2019, 10:08 am

Kenny H wrote:
They are awful.

One thing I give In 'n' Out credit for is they pay their employees above industry standards and even offer benefits.

The fries could be better but not as bad as many make them out to be. Just order them "well done".

johngonzales

#9 Post by johngonzales » June 6th, 2019, 10:25 am

Sean Devaney wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 10:08 am
Kenny H wrote:
They are awful.

One thing I give In 'n' Out credit for is they pay their employees above industry standards and even offer benefits.

The fries could be better but not as bad as many make them out to be. Just order them "well done".
Agreed on all counts. I always get them well-done too. They aren’t good but they aren’t terrible. You’re way more likely to encounter a “Mexican dude” than a “skater dude”, not that either really matter. Since they pay no less (and in fact more) than most chains, their margins are no different than others. Fries are better margin than sandwiches/burgers, but not as high as soda. Comparing InNOut to Shake Shake is not apples-to-apples as far as price, as someone else said. Shake Shack is in the next category up the cost chain.

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Kenny H » June 6th, 2019, 11:13 am

Sean Devaney wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 10:08 am
Kenny H wrote:
They are awful.

Geez guys, I was just being glib with a couple stereotypes. Yes I give credit to InnOut for being more socially responsible. The point was whether or not these horrible fries have great margin.
H0eve!kamp

ERPark

#11 Post by ERPark » June 6th, 2019, 11:23 am

In N Out fries well done are tolerable. Protein style double double with extra whole grilled onions and banana chill peppers for less than $5 all-in more than makes up for less than top tier French fries.
GEN3

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Alan Rath » June 6th, 2019, 11:57 am

I always enjoy these threads. Arguing about which fast food chain's fries or burgers are best/worst is like arguing about which mass produced grocery store wine is best/worst.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Sh@n A » June 6th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Double patty, single slice cheese, animal style. + their fries with ketchup + milk shake
/ @ g r @ \

Gray G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Gray G » June 6th, 2019, 12:24 pm

[winner.gif] order the Fries with a "light fry"
so much time, so little wine, Albanista, flavors please, 6 R 1 9 V 9

johngonzales

#15 Post by johngonzales » June 6th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 11:57 am
I always enjoy these threads. Arguing about which fast food chain's fries or burgers are best/worst is like arguing about which mass produced grocery store wine is best/worst.
Not really, IMO. Plonk TO ME isn’t enjoyable, and there is a vast difference between it an better wines. I am sure that some like you disagree, but a double-double cheeseburger tastes good and has simple decent ingredients. There are better burgers in the sea of burgers, but I don’t find as vast a difference there as I do with crap wine. Same with fries. You can get gourmet Kennebec fries at nicer places for $10, but they don’t taste much better than hot McD’s fries. That’s ignoring the health aspect. Otherwise fries are just a starchy vehicle for some fat and some salt, with texture being about the only important aspect of the preparation.

Oh and to drift, grocery stores carry plenty of good wine. I never understand why people keep up the “grocery store wine” moniker. As if the fact that it is sold there, or even produced in volume makes it bad.

Bill Tex Landreth

#16 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » June 6th, 2019, 12:29 pm

johngonzales wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 12:28 pm
Alan Rath wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 11:57 am
Not really, IMO. Plonk TO ME isn’t enjoyable, and there is a vast difference between it an better wines. I am sure that some like you disagree, but a double-double cheeseburger tastes good and has simple decent ingredients. There are better burgers in the sea of burgers, but I don’t find as vast a difference there as I do with crap wine. Same with fries. You can get gourmet Kennebec fries at nicer places for $10, but they don’t taste much better than hot McD’s fries. That’s ignoring the health aspect. Otherwise fries are just a starchy vehicle for some fat and some salt, with texture being about the only important aspect of the preparation.

Oh and to drift, grocery stores carry plenty of good wine. I never understand why people keep up the “grocery store wine” moniker. As if the fact that it is sold there, or even produced in volume makes it bad.
I bought a case of 2008 Dom Perignon for $134 a bottle at a grocery store in Houston.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

MBerto

#17 Post by MBerto » June 6th, 2019, 12:36 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 10:02 am
Hold on to your butts...

Best mass produced fries are........

McDonald's. I'll die on this hill so be ready.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
@10centpower

Bill Tex Landreth

#18 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » June 6th, 2019, 12:39 pm

MBerto wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 12:36 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
Hold on to your butts...

I can support this opinion.

MBerto

#19 Post by MBerto » June 6th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Didn't even see John G's post which already mentioned McD's. I also whole heatedly co-sign his "burgers are all pretty good" these, which I've started a thread about already but the snobs around here weren't ready to accept my truthbombs.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
@10centpower

J. Rock

#20 Post by J. Rock » June 6th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Eh, I think the whole place is grossly overrated and their burgers are mediocre at best. I don't get the seemingly huge appeal of their burgers, unless you're only comparing them to other fast food burgers, which wouldn't say much.
J o r d a n

Victor Hong

#21 Post by Victor Hong » June 6th, 2019, 1:08 pm

Solution: Drive to McDonald's for fries; drive to In-and-Out for burgers.
WineHunter.

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by G. Keeler » June 6th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Hate the fries. My wife and kids like in-n out so we go from time to time. I just get a DD with grilled onions and call it a day. The in-n-out is a better "value" than Shake Shack doesn't hold up for me. Even though SS is more expense than in-n-out, I still think it's a better value because it actually tastes really good and is still relatively inexpensive.
G L E N N

David Wright

#23 Post by David Wright » June 6th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Here is Dame Helen Mirren chowing down on an In-N-Out burger after winning her Oscar.

Note she did not get fries.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Michael Martin » June 6th, 2019, 5:22 pm

MBerto wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 12:36 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
Hold on to your butts...

You need to get out more. [snort.gif]

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by alan weinberg » June 6th, 2019, 5:35 pm

David Wright wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 5:15 pm
Here is Dame Helen Mirren chowing down on an In-N-Out burger after winning her Oscar.

maybe she ate them first.

I dislike their burgers and fries.

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Mike Evans » June 7th, 2019, 5:43 am

The LA Times in their best fries article put it well:
And bringing up the rear is In-N-Out. Before you tell me there’s a way to “hack” these fries, or somehow make them better, either by loading them with American cheese and secret sauce, or by ordering them well-done, I will grant this: It certainly doesn’t make the fries any worse. Just as dumping the fries into a dirt pile on the shoulder of a highway access road and running over that pile with my car would also probably not make the fries any worse.

Alex N

#27 Post by Alex N » June 7th, 2019, 5:58 am

Mike Evans wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 5:43 am
The LA Times in their best fries article put it well:
And bringing up the rear is In-N-Out. Before you tell me there’s a way to “hack” these fries, or somehow make them better, either by loading them with American cheese and secret sauce, or by ordering them well-done, I will grant this: It certainly doesn’t make the fries any worse. Just as dumping the fries into a dirt pile on the shoulder of a highway access road and running over that pile with my car would also probably not make the fries any worse.
Exactly! I rarely eat burgers and know they have more competition these days (5 Guys, Habit, Smash Burger, etc) but if you grew up in Southern CA or visited often enough, In'n'Out was a real treat. It's weird that a place with exactly 2 food menu items (burger (with variations) and fries) has one that makes the #1 slot in "best of" lists and one that makes "worst of" lists.
Alex Nichols

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by JDavisRoby » June 7th, 2019, 6:04 am

Victor Hong wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 1:08 pm
No In-and-Out locally but I do this at a regional chain, Braum’s, and McDonald’s fries. Thankfully they are next door. Trick is to get the fries second because cold McDonald’s fries are awful.
Joshu@

MBerto

#29 Post by MBerto » June 7th, 2019, 8:46 am

Michael Martin wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 5:22 pm
You need to get out more. [snort.gif]
Looks like the LA Times agrees with me, and YOU need to get out more. While they've got 130 domestic locations, if you don't live in one of like 6 metro areas Shake Shack really isn't an option for most.

https://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-fren ... story.html
M@TT Bert0 lat us
@10centpower

PeterJ

#30 Post by PeterJ » June 7th, 2019, 9:33 am

Victor Hong wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 1:08 pm
Unless there’s a 5 Guys nearby for the fries.
Peter J@ckel

David Cooper

#31 Post by David Cooper » June 7th, 2019, 10:01 am

The fries at the golden arches are pretty good. While fries are profit rich, the biggest profit centre in the fast food business is fountain drinks.

I really prefer Shake Shack because of the variety of options, including half bottles of Tribute to Grace Rose.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by AlexS » June 7th, 2019, 5:09 pm

David Wright wrote:

Instead she's pairing it with Champagne, some kind of mixer and a bag of regular Lay's potato chips.

I might have just fallen in love.
s t e w @ r t

johngonzales

#33 Post by johngonzales » June 7th, 2019, 6:05 pm

AlexS wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 5:09 pm
David Wright wrote:

Instead she's pairing it with Champagne, some kind of mixer and a bag of regular Lay's potato chips.

I might have just fallen in love.
I know for a fact that she likes PJ Fleur
A4CC10BA-38DE-4ED6-80AF-9F7B87619A95.jpeg

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Michae1 P0wers » June 8th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
I don’t like Shake Shack fries, or any crinkle cut fry for that matter. For chains I’d probably take Five Guys fries, I guess. We have some local burger places with amazing fries and those tend to be what I frequent. Having recently had an In-N-Out Burger for the first time, I was shocked at how bad the fries were. Good burger though and reasonable prices.

Scott G r u n e r

#35 Post by Scott G r u n e r » June 9th, 2019, 9:26 am

Shake Shack is meh. Chick fil A awful. In N out is mediocre- prefer well done with lots of salt and some peppers.

I am with Michael.
Best are 5 guys. Not always perfect, but twice fried and when fresh and properly salted....
//Cynic

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Craig G » June 9th, 2019, 10:55 am

Michae1 P0wers wrote:
June 8th, 2019, 12:03 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
I don’t like Shake Shack fries, or any crinkle cut fry for that matter. For chains I’d probably take Five Guys fries, I guess. We have some local burger places with amazing fries and those tend to be what I frequent. Having recently had an In-N-Out Burger for the first time, I was shocked at how bad the fries were. Good burger though and reasonable prices.
I’m offended by the idea of crinkle-cut fries, but I thought Shake Shack’s were pretty tasty and had excellent texture.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Lee Short

#37 Post by Lee Short » June 9th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Best fast food fries I've had are here in PDX at the local chain Little Big Burger.

Go for the fries, get a burger to fill out your meal.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Michael Martin » June 9th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 9:26 am
Shake Shack is meh. Chick fil A awful. In N out is mediocre- prefer well done with lots of salt and some peppers.

I am with Michael.
Best are 5 guys. Not always perfect, but twice fried and when fresh and properly salted....
I ate at Five Guys once. The burger was Ok, but the fries were a bag of grease. I see no redeeming qualities there at all.

Scott G r u n e r

#39 Post by Scott G r u n e r » June 9th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 4:57 pm
Scott G r u n e r wrote:

I am with Michael.
I ate at Five Guys once. The burger was Ok, but the fries were a bag of grease. I see no redeeming qualities there at all.
Your fries were corked. Try again, maybe a different location.
//Cynic

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Michael Martin » June 9th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
Scott G r u n e r wrote:

I am with Michael.
Fry variation. Might be due to storage issues.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by RichardFlack » June 9th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 5:42 pm
Scott G r u n e r wrote:
Michael Martin wrote:

Or too long a decant...

ERPark

#42 Post by ERPark » June 9th, 2019, 6:29 pm

RichardFlack wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 5:45 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
Scott G r u n e r wrote:

Or too long a decant...
More likely ladybug taint......
GEN3

PeterJ

#43 Post by PeterJ » June 9th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
Scott G r u n e r wrote:

I am with Michael.

5 Guys puts their very hot fries in a paper bag and closes the bag before you get it. In my experience that tends to make them go pretty limp. But greasy? Not that I’ve seen.
Peter J@ckel

jordan whitehead

#44 Post by jordan whitehead » June 9th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Nathan's fries
www.annaswish.org

johngonzales

#45 Post by johngonzales » June 10th, 2019, 8:49 am

PeterJ wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 7:16 pm
Michael Martin wrote:
Scott G r u n e r wrote:

I am with Michael.

5 Guys puts their very hot fries in a paper bag and closes the bag before you get it. In my experience that tends to make them go pretty limp. But greasy? Not that I’ve seen.
Yes, that’s a procedural flaw. I think in general their fries are more susceptible to erectile dysfunction. They are thick cut and just don’t seem to get as much outer crisp. That might be due to the fact that the potatoes are wet and/or the fact that they use peanut oil. Not sure, but they aren’t as crispy. They do taste more potatoey (?) which is a plus, but the texture leaves them mid-pack to me. Of course one also gets a different experience with all fries if they are eaten immediately as opposed to waiting even five minutes.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Jay Miller » June 11th, 2019, 1:46 pm

ERPark wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 6:29 pm
RichardFlack wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 5:45 pm
Michael Martin wrote:

Or too long a decant...
More likely ladybug taint......
He didn't age them long enough.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Jay Miller » June 11th, 2019, 1:47 pm

David Wright wrote:

You don't get to be a Dame by being stupid.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Michael Martin » June 11th, 2019, 1:56 pm

johngonzales wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 8:49 am
PeterJ wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 7:16 pm
Michael Martin wrote:

Yes, that’s a procedural flaw. I think in general their fries are more susceptible to erectile dysfunction. They are thick cut and just don’t seem to get as much outer crisp. That might be due to the fact that the potatoes are wet and/or the fact that they use peanut oil. Not sure, but they aren’t as crispy. They do taste more potatoey (?) which is a plus, but the texture leaves them mid-pack to me. Of course one also gets a different experience with all fries if they are eaten immediately as opposed to waiting even five minutes.
This is where I think Shake Shack excels. The fries are crinkle cut, true, but they are consistently crispy on the outside and not wet on the inside. Key being "consistent". Heck you can't even get that with multiple bottles of the same wine.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Mark Golodetz » June 11th, 2019, 3:19 pm

Let us start off that the fries here in the US are too short and too thin. The proper English chip is a magnificent thing where you can actually taste the potato beneath the crunch.

As for fast food burgers, why bother? Our local hole in the wall serves a great burger that puts the well done hockey pucks being talked about here to shame.
ITB

Cody L

#50 Post by Cody L » June 13th, 2019, 4:51 pm

I don't know. Something about those soggy fries with the animal style fixins are actually quite good. You gotta use a fork though.
Cody Lyons

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”