Impossible burgers

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Stephen Pepe

Impossible burgers

#1 Post by Stephen Pepe » May 17th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Hi. Has anyone tried the non-meat Impossible Burgers? How do they compare to regular meat burgers? Calories? Anybody selling them in CA?
Stephen Pepe
Clos Pepe Vineyards and Estate Wines
Santa Rita Hills, CA

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Impossible burgers

#2 Post by mark rudner » May 17th, 2019, 12:05 pm

and while on the subject are they actually good for you?

Sarah Kirschbaum

#3 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 17th, 2019, 12:35 pm

mark rudner wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 12:05 pm
In my opinion, no. It is not a healthy choice. I'm all for eating less meat, or eating none at all, if you prefer and are still getting your nutrients. But these meat alternatives are highly processed and contain questionable ingredients, some derived from soy (soy protein isolate, soy leghemobloin), and highly processed industrial oil (sunflower oil), that I prefer to avoid altogether, though there's debate about whether they are "bad." They are also quite high in saturated fat, if you worry about such things (I personally don't, but that's another debate), and very high in sodium. Furthermore, plant derived processed ingredients tend to end up being high in easily absorbed carbs, which can have negative metabolic impact.

I believe strongly in eating real foods, with as little processed food as possible, and thus I am inclined to be negative about things like the Impossible Burger; so I admit to some bias. Still, I think the reasons to be suspicious, at the very least, are strong.

Scott Tallman

#4 Post by Scott Tallman » May 17th, 2019, 12:44 pm

I have tried the Impossible Burger and the Beyond Meat Burger many times. As a vegan/vegetarian for almost 10 years, I’m not the best source to state how the plant-based burgers compare to meat burgers, but I have tried the plant-based burgers with numerous meat eaters over the past two years and almost all said they tasted very similar. Not the same mind you, but close enough that these meat eaters enjoyed them enough to eat more regularly and possibly in lieu of meat burgers (so they said).

Impossible Burgers are only available at restaurants, but are starting to roll out to wider locations (White Castle, Burger King, etc). I had meatballs made from the Impossible Burger at a local ramen joint last night, and another ramen place makes a ramen with the Impossible Burger. Look at this link to find near you -https://impossiblefoods.com/locations/

Beyond Meat has mostly sold their burgers in stores (Whole Foods I know carries them) to be made at home, although they are starting to roll out to restaurants, both fast (Carl’s Jr) and casual. This link can help you find - https://www.beyondmeat.com/where-to-find/. FWIW, I also really like the Beyond Sausages.

As for health, this article may be of use - https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/ ... r-w449490/. And you can learn more on each producer’s website. Overall likely healthier than beef, but depends on your health concerns. I definitely feel physically better after eating a plant-based Burger than I did after eating a meat burger, but YMMV.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Barry L i p t o n

#5 Post by Barry L i p t o n » May 17th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Thanks Scott. Great article.

I enjoy both plant based products. I also feel better after the plant based burger. But I don’t eat much beef due to preference (as opposed to health). Probably enjoy beef hamburgers more than steak due to the higher fat (at least in the burgers I like).

Prior to these two, while I loved veggie burgers that didn’t try to imitate beef, like a Praeger burger, I dislike imitation beef burgers (like a Boca burger). They are definitely a better product than the prior generation of imitation burger.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by mark rudner » May 17th, 2019, 2:30 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 12:35 pm
mark rudner wrote:
In my opinion, no. It is not a healthy choice. I'm all for eating less meat, or eating none at all, if you prefer and are still getting your nutrients. But these meat alternatives are highly processed and contain questionable ingredients, some derived from soy (soy protein isolate, soy leghemobloin), and highly processed industrial oil (sunflower oil), that I prefer to avoid altogether, though there's debate about whether they are "bad." They are also quite high in saturated fat, if you worry about such things (I personally don't, but that's another debate), and very high in sodium. Furthermore, plant derived processed ingredients tend to end up being high in easily absorbed carbs, which can have negative metabolic impact.

I believe strongly in eating real foods, with as little processed food as possible, and thus I am inclined to be negative about things like the Impossible Burger; so I admit to some bias. Still, I think the reasons to be suspicious, at the very least, are strong.
thanks sarah. this is roughly what i've heard and i tend to agree
real food is always better

G. Greenbaum

#7 Post by G. Greenbaum » May 17th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
mark rudner wrote:

Not to mention 5 times the sodium content of unseasoned hamburger and GMOs like Canola.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

PeterJ

#8 Post by PeterJ » May 17th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Albertsons/Vons sells Beyond burgers and I think Ralph’s does too. My one experience wasn’t that great but I think I needed to season them more.
Peter J@ckel

saul_cooperstein

#9 Post by saul_cooperstein » May 18th, 2019, 6:40 am

I have worked with both Impossible and Beyond at restaurant level and big part of their focus is on significantly lower environmental impact vs traditional beef.

Jonathan Grunzweig
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Jonathan Grunzweig » May 18th, 2019, 6:46 am

Stephen, I believe it is on the menu now at Root 246, should that appeal.

Jonathan

Alex N

#11 Post by Alex N » May 18th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
mark rudner wrote:

Good post and fully agree. There is a lot of "vegan junk food" being pushed as healthy because it's vegan, especially on social media. Lots of processed foods, tons of sugar, saturated fat, etc. I've had both mentioned and and they're okay but if I eat a burger (maybe 2-3 times per year) I'm going with beef or lamb. I was for years vegetarian and pescatarian and now any meat that's gets into my fridge and cooked at home is locally sourced with no feed lots.
@13x N1ch•!z

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by J a y H a c k » May 19th, 2019, 3:56 am

Thread drift - I used to organize year end grill fests at my synagogue and there were always people who wanted veggie burgers. I made the vegans buy them and found things like Boca Burgers to be inedible cardboard frisbees. Then one year I decided to find something myself and found vegetable burgers sold under the Ratner's brand (the old kosher dairy restaurant in NYC). They turned out not to be attempts to replicate hamburgers but vegetable croquettes you could eat with a fork or on a bun. I thought they were very good and bought them for my house as an dinner vegetable side dish when there was no time to cook. They were not attempts to replicate hamburgers and thus they were free to make them taste good. Every attempt to replicate meat for vegetarians that I have tasted was HORRIBLE.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Joe W i n o g r a d

#13 Post by Joe W i n o g r a d » May 19th, 2019, 7:52 am

I can’t think of a worse way to market a product to vegetarians than to say “it bleeds”.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by JDavisRoby » May 19th, 2019, 8:00 am

I’ve had the Impossible burger. Just tasted like a poorly constructed hamburger patty.

I don’t think vegans and what I’d call vegetarians with true convictions are really the target market here. It’s the person who wants to feel like they’re eating healthy or has doc’s orders to eat less red meat. With the toppings on the Impossible burger I ate there was no way it was healthy.
Joshu@

Jim Brennan

#15 Post by Jim Brennan » May 19th, 2019, 8:02 am

G. Greenbaum wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 2:51 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
mark rudner wrote:

Not to mention 5 times the sodium content of unseasoned hamburger and GMOs like Canola.
Agree with your comment about the sodium. Virtually all of us get far too much as it is.

GMOs are a bullshit Boogeyman however, with most of the objections being little different than anti-vax.

Scott G r u n e r

#16 Post by Scott G r u n e r » May 19th, 2019, 8:59 am

My personal view (and actually shared by several vegetarians I know) is that trying to mimic meat with non meat ingredients is missing the point of being vegetarian. Fake meat is Like going to a brothel for a kiss.

If I eat vegetarian I dont want fake meat, I want good tasting and presumably healthy vegetables, like in Jay’s example.
//Cynic

Scott G r u n e r

#17 Post by Scott G r u n e r » May 19th, 2019, 9:01 am

Jim Brennan wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 8:02 am

GMOs are a bullshit Boogeyman however, with most of the objections being little different than anti-vax.
very much this.
//Cynic

Kenny H

#18 Post by Kenny H » May 19th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
mark rudner wrote:

As a standout reader of ingredient list bullshit, 100% agree.
H0eve!kamp

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Craig G » May 19th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 8:59 am
My personal view (and actually shared by several vegetarians I know) is that trying to mimic meat with non meat ingredients is missing the point of being vegetarian. Fake meat is Like going to a brothel for a kiss.

If I eat vegetarian I dont want fake meat, I want good tasting and presumably healthy vegetables, like in Jay’s example.
Impossible Burger is not (primarily) intended for vegetarians. Their vision is to reduce the environmental impact of meat production. They want to make something that can replace meat for people who like meat.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Barry L i p t o n

#20 Post by Barry L i p t o n » May 20th, 2019, 1:28 am

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
May 19th, 2019, 8:59 am

There is no one “point” to being a vegetarian. There are those that do it for health reasons, those that do it for taste reasons, those that do it for moral reasons, those that do it for religious reasons, those that do it just because they don’t like meat/fish because of how they feel afterwards, etc.

G. Greenbaum

#21 Post by G. Greenbaum » May 20th, 2019, 6:56 am

Jim Brennan wrote:
G. Greenbaum wrote:
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:

Agree with your comment about the sodium. Virtually all of us get far too much as it is.

I'd rather avoid them whenever possible. Fortunately, that is relatively easy as industrial farming is something I avoid. My diet is also not that rich in soybean & corn.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Sarah Kirschbaum

#22 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 20th, 2019, 8:55 am

G. Greenbaum wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 6:56 am
Jim Brennan wrote:
G. Greenbaum wrote:

I'd rather avoid them whenever possible. Fortunately, that is relatively easy as industrial farming is something I avoid. My diet is also not that rich in soybean & corn.
I don't worry much about the GMO thing, but the crops which are heavily GMO (soy beans, sunflower, rapeseed for canola oil, to name a few) go into the production of those industrialized oils I mentioned earlier, which I am convinced are horrible for you, and are present in pretty much all processed food.

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Michael Bowden » May 20th, 2019, 9:56 am

I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Josh Grossman » May 20th, 2019, 10:09 am

I get them from White Castle when it’s late and there is nothing else open or I’m driving on freeways. I don’t pretend they are healthy, but they are tasty. We are family friends with the Ingram Family whom owns White Castle and there is an urban one (with a drive through in a parking garage) less than a block from my home. If you aren’t health consciousness, I’d encourage you to give it a try. In my opinion, it’s the best hamburger from a large fast food chain with a drive-through

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Jay Miller » May 20th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 1:04 pm

I enjoy both plant based products. I also feel better after the plant based burger. But I don’t eat much beef due to preference (as opposed to health). Probably enjoy beef hamburgers more than steak due to the higher fat (at least in the burgers I like).

Prior to these two, while I loved veggie burgers that didn’t try to imitate beef, like a Praeger burger, I dislike imitation beef burgers (like a Boca burger). They are definitely a better product than the prior generation of imitation burger.
While I'm not vegetarian I've been a semi-regular buyer of the various Praeger burgers for years both because I think they taste good and with the vague idea that they're relatively healthy.

So long as we're getting more informed opinions here anyone have input on the healthfulness of Praeger burgers?
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#26 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 20th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 12:49 pm
Barry L i p t o n wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 1:04 pm

While I'm not vegetarian I've been a semi-regular buyer of the various Praeger burgers for years both because I think they taste good and with the vague idea that they're relatively healthy.

So long as we're getting more informed opinions here anyone have input on the healthfulness of Praeger burgers?
Jay, they are better than Impossible Burgers, that's for sure. Looking at it from a content perspective, it's not too bad, but there's still a ton of sodium, and some versions have both sugar and molasses added. I'm not big on any of the vegetable protein isolates that they use (pea, in this case), though it's better than some of the alternatives. I honestly think a relatively lean grass fed beef burger is healthier (putting aside environmental or philosophical questions for the moment). It's natural, not lab manipulated, and has comparable calories and fat - forget about the saturated-fat-is-the-devil myth - provided you make one of comparable size. It has no sugar, and has naturally occurring niacin, vitamin B12, zinc and selenium, as well as vitamin B6, iron and phosphorus. If you're having the occasional burger as a treat, just eat a good version of the real thing. Of course if you prefer a Praeger burger, that's different.

Alex N

#27 Post by Alex N » May 20th, 2019, 7:49 pm

I used to make my own with a burger press from Sur La Table. The main ingredients were quinoa and (spicy) smashed black beans, nuts and cooked green vegetables. Freezing them held the ingredients together nicely and it was worth the effort to make a large batch. Different binding agents like quinoa or almond flour were experimented with.
@13x N1ch•!z

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Jay Miller » May 21st, 2019, 10:52 am

Thank you Sarah!
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » May 21st, 2019, 9:13 pm

I've had Impossible Burger meat twice (only version 1) in the Boston area: a meatball sandwich at Clover (a local vegetarian chain); and a burger at Little Donkey (owned by James Beard Award-winning chefs Ken Oringer and Jamie Bissonnette).

Meatballs: If I didn't know better, I would have sworn these were made from some sort of meat! On one level, that is amazing considering that it contained zero meat. However, they were just not good meatballs (tasted more of liver than beef or pork, rather dense and chewy). Your Italian grandmother would laugh them. More akin to something you might get in a school cafeteria. Or what would happen if falafel had sex with a meatball.

Burger: Little Donkey is a hip, trendy place so it was $16, with the usual fancy toppings/bun. But unfortunately it didn't have the grace to "bleed" for me (it was a thin patty, so maybe it needs to be thicker to do that). Reminded me of a well-seared patty from Wendy's, rather flavorless other than the char, but definitely meat-like in texture (but we are talking Wendy's meat here). Considering you can get one of the most famous burgers in America a couple of blocks away at Craigie on Main for $22, I think I'll save up my pennies.

Speaking of which, Tony Maws of Craigie has recently started serving a vegetarian burger, which he says took 3 years to develop. Only 18 available a day. Now that is a great vegetarian sandwich! Not because it mimics meat, because it doesn't, but because it is just a delicious vegetable sandwich. I would definitely order that again. But don't call it a burger.

Will have to try Version 2 next.
Cheers,
/<evin

"Ah! Dull-witted mortal, if Fortune stands still, she is no longer Fortune."
~ Boëthius, in Consolation of Philosophy

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Eric LeVine » May 22nd, 2019, 10:27 am

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
May 21st, 2019, 9:13 pm
Considering you can get one of the most famous burgers in America a couple of blocks away at Craigie on Main for $22, I think I'll save up my pennies.

Speaking of which, Tony Maws of Craigie has recently started serving a vegetarian burger, which he says took 3 years to develop. Only 18 available a day. Now that is a great vegetarian sandwich! Not because it mimics meat, because it doesn't, but because it is just a delicious vegetable sandwich. I would definitely order that again. But don't call it a burger.
Tony is a good friend from high school and a crazily talented chef.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » May 22nd, 2019, 11:00 am

Eric LeVine wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 10:27 am
Cool! I went to a wine dinner at Craigie with Jean-Francois Bourdy not too long ago and the food was spectacular. He's about to open a new burger-centric place in one of our food halls soon.
Cheers,
/<evin

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Eric LeVine » May 22nd, 2019, 5:19 pm

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 11:00 am
Eric LeVine wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 10:27 am
Cool! I went to a wine dinner at Craigie with Jean-Francois Bourdy not too long ago and the food was spectacular. He's about to open a new burger-centric place in one of our food halls soon.
I am just jealous that you get to eat at his restaurants more than me.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » May 22nd, 2019, 6:31 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:
May 22nd, 2019, 5:19 pm
I am just jealous that you get to eat at his restaurants more than me.
I had to move here from Seattle to do that!
Cheers,
/<evin

Jim Brennan

#34 Post by Jim Brennan » May 26th, 2019, 6:54 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 8:55 am
G. Greenbaum wrote:
Jim Brennan wrote:

I don't worry much about the GMO thing, but the crops which are heavily GMO (soy beans, sunflower, rapeseed for canola oil, to name a few) go into the production of those industrialized oils I mentioned earlier, which I am convinced are horrible for you, and are present in pretty much all processed food.
What are the odds that a non-GMO version of any of those crops processed into oils would be much better from a health perspective?

Sarah Kirschbaum

#35 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 26th, 2019, 8:33 am

Jim Brennan wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 6:54 am
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 8:55 am
G. Greenbaum wrote:

What are the odds that a non-GMO version of any of those crops processed into oils would be much better from a health perspective?
None, as far as I know. It would be unhealthy either way. We just don't really have industrial scale non GMO on those crops anymore, I don't think.

Jim Brennan

#36 Post by Jim Brennan » May 26th, 2019, 9:42 am

Sarah, I don't think that's accurate either. We've had industrial scale cropping of all of those for years through hybridization.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#37 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » May 26th, 2019, 11:30 am

Jim Brennan wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 9:42 am
Sarah, I don't think that's accurate either. We've had industrial scale cropping of all of those for years through hybridization.
Jim, I apologize - perhaps I misunderstood the question, and I don't really understand what the argument is here. My only real point was that I object to highly processed oils such as soybean oil, sunflower oil and canola. I think the way they are made results in unhealthy products, regardless of GMO. That is my concern. I don't think much, or know much, about GMO versus not, so I am not trying to make any point at all on that subject as it's not my particular concern. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Jim Brennan

#38 Post by Jim Brennan » May 26th, 2019, 12:12 pm

I think we're mostly on the same page... my point (which you did support earlier) was that GMOs are a phony boogeyman. I'm really just re-emphasizing my point, since there's really nothing here so far that can actually be attributed as a specific problem of GMOs.

MBerto

#39 Post by MBerto » June 4th, 2019, 9:03 am

I grilled a couple of the Beyond Meat burgers last night. If you served it to me blind I might have thought it was a bit odd, but with some cheese pickles etc it definitely passed for meat. There's a local shop that specializes in meat substitute products, and this beat the vast majority of their products (save for their fried chicken; that thing's a pure miracle). I didn't feel that great later in the evening though, and chalked it up to 'what exactly did I just eat'? I try to minimize meat consumption A) for environmental reasons, B) for animal welfare reasons and C) for health reasons (in that order), but also try even moreso to minimize consumption of processed foods and as others have noted this just doesn't fit that bill.

I can see ordering again in a restaurant if the vegetarian options are otherwise quite limited, and will also try the Impossible burger at some point (have heard multiple reports their v2 is the best of the best), but can't see any of these being a regular buy for us.
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Eric LeVine » June 4th, 2019, 12:19 pm

I did Beyond Burgers recently for the family -- went for a classic cheeseburger with a thin patty. It was pretty good, oddly a little crispy/crunchy. The other thing is the smell of the raw patty which is quite sharp and pungent, almost chemical. There is a lot written about the pea protein and why it smells that way. I would classify it as interesting.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Poppy Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Poppy Davis » June 4th, 2019, 12:28 pm

I've been a vegetarian for over 25 years, so I can't really compare them to real meat products. For me, the patty is one of the least important components of a burger. If you have the best patty but put it on a crap bun with shredded lettuce and unripe tomatoes, it's not going to be good. So, I've had the Impossible Burger, but only from Fatburger, which is a fast-food chain. All the other components are crap, so it's just not good. That said, the chain Mendocino Farms has an Impossible Taco Salad made with Impossible fake chorizo. It is an amazing salad to which both my husband (a lifelong vegetarian) and I are completely addicted. I would buy the Beyond Meat burgers at the store, but my son really likes the Don Lee Farms veggie burgers from Costco which have a fair amount of vegetables in them, so I have no reason to switch things up.
Poppy D@vis Frucht m@n, formerly ITB

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 4th, 2019, 3:23 pm

CONGRATULATIONS BURGER KING: You managed to create the worst burger I've ever had, the Impossible Whopper

OK, I'm a bit late to the party, but I was driving home tonight, saw the sign and thought I might as well try one. As I noted below in this thread, I've previously have a gourmet Impossible Burger (1.0) prepared by 2 James Beard Award-winning chefs, which was entirely mediocre (especially for $16) and some Impossible Burger (1.0) meatballs, which were awful. But at least both of those were surprisingly meat-like in texture.

So tasted this side-by-side with a regular Whopper, which is bad (the mayo pretty much dominates everything). But the Impossible Whopper is PROFOUNDLY BAD.

If you think that is what meat is like, you need to stop eating your pet's dinner. It wasn't even very meat-like in texture.
Attachments
IMG_0282.jpg
Cheers,
/<evin

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Joe B » October 4th, 2019, 4:23 pm

I’m waiting for impossible veggies, made from meat but packed with healthy stuff.
J W@ll @ce

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 4th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Joe B wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 4:23 pm
I’m waiting for impossible veggies, made from meat but packed with healthy stuff.
Arby's already came up with the "Meatable":

https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2 ... made-meat/

Can't say how healthy it is.
Attachments
ArbysMeatCarrot-640x441.png
Cheers,
/<evin

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 4th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Sad really, you fell for a whopper?

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by dcornutt » October 5th, 2019, 6:15 am

K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 3:23 pm
CONGRATULATIONS BURGER KING: You managed to create the worst burger I've ever had, the Impossible Whopper

OK, I'm a bit late to the party, but I was driving home tonight, saw the sign and thought I might as well try one. As I noted below in this thread, I've previously have a gourmet Impossible Burger (1.0) prepared by 2 James Beard Award-winning chefs, which was entirely mediocre (especially for $16) and some Impossible Burger (1.0) meatballs, which were awful. But at least both of those were surprisingly meat-like in texture.

So tasted this side-by-side with a regular Whopper, which is bad (the mayo pretty much dominates everything). But the Impossible Whopper is PROFOUNDLY BAD.

If you think that is what meat is like, you need to stop eating your pet's dinner. It wasn't even very meat-like in texture.
+1 I am more upbeat on the regular whopper than you (edible to me) but this impossible whopper has tasteless meat. OK texture to me. I am sure that texture was their focus.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Jim Marmion

#47 Post by Jim Marmion » October 5th, 2019, 6:24 am

dcornutt wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 6:15 am
K_F_o_l_e_y wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 3:23 pm

+1 I am more upbeat on the regular whopper than you (edible to me) but this impossible whopper has tasteless meat. OK texture to me. I am sure that texture was their focus.
I had my first Impossible Whopper the other day, in fact my first Whopper of any kind. It was entirely tasteless and flaccid. The friend I was eating with, who had ordered the same, remarked: "It's exactly the same as a regular Whopper".

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by AlexS » October 6th, 2019, 8:09 am

Honestly, it's completely baffling to me that any person of sound mind would ever expect a non-meat Whopper to be any less crappy than the meat version.
s t e w @ r t

K_F_o_l_e_y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by K_F_o_l_e_y » October 6th, 2019, 8:27 am

AlexS wrote:
October 6th, 2019, 8:09 am
Honestly, it's completely baffling to me that any person of sound mind would ever expect a non-meat Whopper to be any less crappy than the meat version.
Based on previous experience with Impossible meat, I wasn't hopeful. But we scientists have to do experiments, we can't just make assumptions. Even if it hurts. [berserker.gif]
Cheers,
/<evin

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by RichardFlack » October 6th, 2019, 8:37 am

G. Greenbaum wrote:
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
mark rudner wrote:

Glossing over the fact that the proper comparison would be to hamburger as actually seasoned for the grill, I would add that I have noticed that generally supermarket foods prominently advertised as LOW IN XXX (eg fat) tend also to be high in YYY (eg salt), but that is confined to the small print.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”