Anyone really into drinking Tea?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

Any Tea Aficionados Out There?

#1 Post by Linda Baehr » April 19th, 2010, 2:51 pm

What are your favorite teas? Any you cannot stand?
ITB..................................but you guys knew that already, right?
Check out my Artwork Album on my Facebook page!
Buy a painting from a starving artist!

PauLeenda2020

Josh Beck

Re: Any Tea Aficionados Out There?

#2 Post by Josh Beck » April 19th, 2010, 3:27 pm

I love tea but I am admittedly not a tea snob. Most of what I like is iced black tea. For this my favorite s are Twinings Early Grey and English Breakfast and Stash English Breakfast. They are good enough and cheap enough and easy to come by.

No doubt there are great teas out there but I'd rather drink great beer and great wine and be happy with my tea ;)

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by CWun » April 19th, 2010, 3:44 pm

I enjoy good tea, but don't find myself rushing to buy expensive teas online like I do wine.

For Chinese teas, I'm satisfied with TenRen teabags (easily found at any asian grocery market). Loose leaf Chinese teas I'll have on some weekends. Some standard types I like are Oolong, Jasmine, Dragon Well, and Tieguanyin ( loosely translated as Iron Goddess). I haven't dabbled in Pu-erh which the tea fanatics get riled up about. Aged, ripened, vintage, all that stuff. [shock.gif]

For western teas, I like loose leaf Earl Grey and Lapsang Soochong (it has a smoky aroma similar to the
worst of the 08 CA pinots haha, or a peaty Scotch).
C@r_y

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Linda Baehr » April 19th, 2010, 4:01 pm

CWun wrote:Lapsang Soochong (it has a smoky aroma similar to the
worst of the 08 CA pinots haha, or a peaty Scotch).
Ooo, I'll have to try that- I love peaty Scotch!

PauLeenda2020

Bob Wood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Bob Wood » April 19th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Ooh . . . I smell a Tea Party! [tease.gif]
"Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life, or do you want to come with me and change the world?" - Steve Jobs, 1983

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Peter Kleban » April 19th, 2010, 4:46 pm

Bob Wood wrote:Ooh . . . I smell a Tea Party! [tease.gif]
Care, careful, you'll get this banished to the Politics forum!!

Chris Presutti
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Chris Presutti » April 19th, 2010, 4:47 pm

My favorite lately is Rooibos and my least favorite is Lapsang Soochong.

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Peter Kleban » April 19th, 2010, 4:48 pm

In Taiwan, maybe 10 yrs ago, we had some really wonderful tea (Ooling, IIRC). Very fragrant and delicate. Even went to a tea house in a tea plantation once--kind of a gazebo surrounded by tea bushes. They also have tea sets for sale everywhere, vast collections of them in the stores.

M. M c C a l l
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by M. M c C a l l » April 19th, 2010, 5:24 pm

I like most teas. We have a solid Thai chain in the Northwest with an extensive tea menu, and I love trying new ones each time. I ordered some sort of green tea a few weeks ago, however, that smelled like canned green beans. I never send anything back, but I sent that one back. I've had lots of green tea, but I've never had one before that was vegetal. I wonder if it was the tea equivalent of TCA? A defect? Anyway, I got a monkey picked oolong instead that was fantastic.

For sheer comfort, my favorite tea is the one my grandfather made every Saturday morning-- Lipton, with honey and lemon.
-Melissa
Touched by His noodly appendage.

Less Favre, more Fevre.

Andrew Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Andrew Hall » April 19th, 2010, 5:53 pm

I dabble. We load up on Mariage Frères when we can. Zingerman's brings in some really good First Flush. Used to order more on-line from different importers. Visited the only tea plantation in the US a few weeks ago too.

When I was at Alinea last summer, I had a pu-erh from the 40s which was mind-blowing. Like a great Burg in terms of the complexity and earthy depth. I have managed to contain myself and not order it though. From someone I knew a long time ago, the tea auctions in Singapore put wine auctions to shame.

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Linda Baehr » April 19th, 2010, 8:01 pm

Any favorite tea merchants online?

PauLeenda2020

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Randy Bowman » April 19th, 2010, 8:17 pm

Linda Baehr wrote:Any favorite tea merchants online?
You can buy tea online? I hope there aren't any waiting lists for allocations. neener
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by CWun » April 19th, 2010, 8:22 pm

No affiliation. This is a reputable site for pu-erh and other Chinese teas.

http://jas-etea.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
C@r_y

Scott Manlin

#14 Post by Scott Manlin » April 19th, 2010, 8:29 pm

I keep about 30 or 40 different loose teas at home. It depends on my mood... love Pur Eh in the mornings... a nice sencha, monkey picked oolong or imperial gyokoura (sp?) in the afternoons... I have several roobios teas for the evening. Egyptian Chamomille is nice before bed. I also like Silver Needle (white) as an all day tea. Lapsong is a fabulous winter evening tea, but it is very strong aromatically. There is a blend from Teavanna, called "to life" that incorporates red, white and green teas as well as some fruit elements. It is my go to summer tea and especially good "iced"... while I used to like earl grey, I think I have developed an aversion to bergamot oil and rarely drink it. If not coffee in the am, Pur Eh for sure, nice strong black tea (with a nice, not jittery, stimulant effect).. White teas are great for anti-oxidants.
The Hedonist
Keepin' the Dragon at bay...

Steve Saxon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Steve Saxon » April 19th, 2010, 8:35 pm

When I'm home I have Chinese Keemun Black tea every morning. In fact I leave the tea ball in the pot that last me three days. I also like green tea at my favorite Japanese restaurant, but I really can't find one that I like for home use.

For some reason when I'm in Telluride I mainly drink coffee. [scratch.gif]
Saxon and others have willfully trashed this thread and turned it into nonsense without substance.....Mark Squires

stevealbrecht

#16 Post by stevealbrecht » April 19th, 2010, 10:08 pm

Tea makes me Pee

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Linda Baehr » April 19th, 2010, 10:16 pm

stevealbrecht wrote:Tea makes me Pee

PauLeenda2020

Frank Deis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Frank Deis » April 20th, 2010, 7:01 am

I really like Upton Tea

http://www.uptontea.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And my favorite "special" tea is their Amber Oolong Select, from Taiwan. I also have other Oolongs, including a Tung Ting etc. Oolong can vary between nearly green to nearly brown, I prefer the brown ones.

For normal drinking -- if we're home in the afternoon and want a cookie or something, Earl Grey is good. For years I drank Jackson's of Piccadilly but now I have a stronger Earl Grey from Upton.

While I am into Japanese food, I have found it difficult to brew green tea that I enjoy drinking. If someone else does it (like at a restaurant) I am OK with it, but I haven't found a green that I really like. My neighbor drinks Lung-ching, dragon's well, and I've tried Ti-Kuan-Yin as well as the Japanese Gyokuro. Nothing. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I know green tea requires lower temperatures for brewing...

I do like white tea, and Pu Erh on occasion. Pu Erh is strange stuff. Some friends brought me a solid brick of the stuff from China, you chip some off the edge when you want to brew it. It smells like when I was a kid and I would make tunnels through the big pile of leaves that my parents had raked up. A little rotten, the original "sous bois."
Last edited by Frank Deis on April 20th, 2010, 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
ITB = "I Teach Biochemistry"

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Peter Kleban » April 20th, 2010, 7:36 am

Linda Baehr wrote:
stevealbrecht wrote:Tea makes me Pee
[welldone.gif] At last I know where the term comes from! Bravo, Linda!!

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Linda Baehr » April 20th, 2010, 7:48 am

OK, on the pu-erh teas, what are the flavor differences of the raw or cooked versions?

PauLeenda2020

Scott Manlin

#21 Post by Scott Manlin » April 20th, 2010, 7:51 am

Frank Deis wrote:
I do like white tea, an Pu Erh on occasion. Pu Erh is strange stuff. Some friends brought me a solid brick of the stuff from China, you chip some off the edge when you want to brew it. It smells like when I was a kid and I would make tunnels through the big pile of leaves that my parents had raked up. A little rotten, the original "sous bois."
Excellent description, that is one of the things I like about it... that complex fermented note...
The Hedonist
Keepin' the Dragon at bay...

Shaun Crowley

#22 Post by Shaun Crowley » April 20th, 2010, 7:53 am

Mariage Frères, agreed is stellar.

For a total coffee-like buzz... PG Tips is rockin'.

Beyond that...

I have no idea what green teas I've had...but I used to have a collection that was sick...and very pricey... there are some that are sublime...I wish I had more info for you.

FWIW: Since I'm sober now... tea is a wonderful distraction... maybe it's the tannins?
You're totally pirahnafish, and I'll eat you.

http://beefpiranha.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (A blog abizoot nuffin' but dem tangs I gotsta splurp out)

Dick Krueger

#23 Post by Dick Krueger » April 20th, 2010, 10:09 am

We drink mostly iced teas. I drink hot teas very seldom. The teas we use most are Republic of Tea. Currently we're making our iced tea from Ginger-Peach (black), Mango Ceylon (black), and Jasmine Green Tea. When I was working I used to drink iced tea at lunch most of the time. My favorite then was Jasmine Green Tea at Lien's Place (a Vietnamese restaurant, that i ate at a couple times a week). It was brewed in a pot with loose tea, and the pot and two glasses full of ice were brought to my table.

Now in the early afternoon (except when we go out for lunch), I have a large glass of whatever iced tea is in the refrigerator. We make a new batch every three or four days.
cheers,
dick

"Let us drink heartily, say crazy things to each other and have a good time!"
- Orestes, Act II, La Belle Hélène

Z. Hu

#24 Post by Z. Hu » April 20th, 2010, 10:39 am

I'm drinking some Pu'Er right now. How much tea leaf should I be adding to my cup? The first couple of cups were light but I let the 3rd cup sit and holy cow it was dark and powerful.

Is Pu'Er like aged Bordeaux while Snapple Ice Tea is like oaky chardonnay? :)
Z H l

Linda Baehr
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Linda Baehr » April 20th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Z. Hu wrote:I'm drinking some Pu'Er right now. How much tea leaf should I be adding to my cup? The first couple of cups were light but I let the 3rd cup sit and holy cow it was dark and powerful.

Is Pu'Er like aged Bordeaux while Snapple Ice Tea is like oaky chardonnay? :)

I have some Assam tea like that I got from an Indian store. It seems like it is either way too weak, or stronger than hell. I just make it strong and add cream, which I normally don't do, but that's about the only way I can drink it (although it is good).

PauLeenda2020

Andrew Hall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Andrew Hall » April 20th, 2010, 1:13 pm

We visited the Charleston Tea Plantation a few weeks ago. Really interesting. The specifically blend some 300+ varieties (eg like grape varieties) to achieve the blend they want for their signature tea. Each plot is co-planted with the varieties, so they just harvest en masse. The American Classic really is one of the best basic iced teas we've had.

http://www.charlestonteaplantation.com ... urn false;

A.
Andrew Hall (itb)

andrew @ cellartracker dot com

GregT

#27 Post by GregT » April 20th, 2010, 5:46 pm

Growing up we mostly drank tea because Dad didn't like coffee. Turns out he should have just got better stuff, but there wasn't as much available at the time so we stuck w tea.

Mostly I like good Darjeeling. It can have a faint floral note and usually has great aromas, with a little bit of tannin that gets way out of hand if you steep it too long. But if you get the GFOP, which is from the young leaves, it's pretty hard to beat. A while ago Twinings had a special blend of Darjeeling but I haven't seen that for about 20 years. The better ones aren't completely fermented either, so they've got a touch of Oolong that helps.

The Assam teas are a little less impressive usually, but that's kind of like saying "California wine". I think it's the largest tea growing area and it covers a lot of different quality teas. Still, sometimes they're OK but at their best, and I'm no expert, I've never liked them as much as great Darjeeling. They tend to be less complex and interesting and a lot of them go into various blends like English Breakfast tea, although that can pretty much include anything.

Keemum is completely different and for me, sometimes has a fruity taste and lacks some of the tannins of Darjeeling. Again, there are all kinds of quality parameters and when I went into a shop in Chinatown to buy some a couple weeks ago, I learned that I could pay over $60 an ounce.

Those are mostly what we drink.

Can't stand most Lapsang Souchong - I detest that smoked flavor. I like the idea of green tea and once in a while make a cup of jasmine tea, but rarely.

And I'm glad that people stuck to real tea and not those blends of dried leaves/flowers that have nothing to do with tea leaves. [swearing.gif]
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Frank Deis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Frank Deis » April 20th, 2010, 6:23 pm

If you like Darjeeling, Assam, and other Indian teas you can go crazy at Upton Tea.

They have all these letters like GFBOP which I have never quite learned to decode.

Darjeeling has a beautiful red color but it kind of makes my stomach hurt, there is a brightness that seems a little -- distracting or something.

I seem to like Chinese and Taiwanese better. Oh, I didn't mention Da Hong Pao, Big Red Robe. That's very nice stuff.

L e o F r o k i c
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by L e o F r o k i c » April 20th, 2010, 6:25 pm

I'm an tea addict and drink 5-6 teas a day and at any time I have at least 20 different kinds of tea. I prefer loose leaf teas and I always brew them in my cast Iron tetsubin . I have Darjeeling in the morning, first thing when i wake up and that tea needs to be brewed with boiling water. In course of the day I usually have green tea, Sencha or Gyokuro, which is my favorite and brewing temperature is very important (around 60f). I buy mine from this site http://www.umami-chaya.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they ship from Japan, expensive as hell but worth every single penny if you ask me. They come in small 50g vacuum packages. In late afternoon I always have white needle tea. I always have cup or two a day of Hibiscus tea which is very acquired taste as is sour but is good for lowering blood pressure and cholesterol. For my kids instead of soda I make ice tea which consist of German Chamomile and Peppermint tea that i serve them with dinner.
"Hey Justin -- yer a fookin' dork!" Bob Wood
My wife is ITB

BobH

#30 Post by BobH » April 20th, 2010, 6:28 pm

I love green tea. My favorite is Barnes and Watson Spring Dragon. Has good complexity and flavor. Buy it loose leaf or in the foil pack. For whatever reason, if you get it in the pillow pouch, it is not as good. Almost tastes like black tea that way.

I like organic JAde Coud loose leaf as well, but I am not sure whose tea that is. I don't think it is ABrnes and watson, though.
Last edited by BobH on April 20th, 2010, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hud@k

Shaun Crowley

#31 Post by Shaun Crowley » April 20th, 2010, 6:30 pm

Leo

Very very cool. You've got great style!
You're totally pirahnafish, and I'll eat you.

http://beefpiranha.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (A blog abizoot nuffin' but dem tangs I gotsta splurp out)

Ed Bernasky

#32 Post by Ed Bernasky » April 21st, 2010, 5:11 am

I like Rishi's Citron Oolong, their green tea, and the basic Oolong.

Sometimes the lemon blossoms are toow fragrant in the Citron Oolong, so, I mix some of the basic Oolong with the Citron blossomed version.

I let it steep at 195F for 3-4 minutes, add raw local honey, and it is off to the races.

J. Blum
Contributor
Contributor

#33 Post by J. Blum » April 28th, 2010, 10:27 am

I drink lots of Yamamotyama green, genmai cha, and hoji (roasted) teas as well as tea from Peerless coffee in Oakland. The smoky "Russian Caravan" is very good.......they sell online.
j-o-n

Carolyn Tillie

#34 Post by Carolyn Tillie » April 28th, 2010, 10:39 am

I drink tea each and every day. Coffee about twice a month.

My daily tea is Yorkshire Gold but when I go to London, I always head home with Fortnum & Mason's Regent's Blend (which I pull out for special occasions or when I need a little lift).

I am lucky to live in San Francisco for my Oriental tea; I go to Red Blossom for truly amazing Jasmine Pearl and Chrysanthemum.

I have to admit that at Rhone Rangers, Numi was handing out packets of of Chocolate Puerh which really surprised me!

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by George Hejna » April 28th, 2010, 11:34 am

Scott Manlin wrote: There is a blend from Teavanna, called "to life" that incorporates red, white and green teas as well as some fruit elements. It is my go to summer tea and especially good "iced.
I would 2nd this recommendation. I have them add a little extra silver needle and the jasmine pearl. It makes the tea a little more balanced IMO. Although they can never figure out how to charge me as it requires them to use basic math.

George

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by alan weinberg » May 1st, 2010, 6:10 pm

L e o F r o k i c wrote:I'm an tea addict and drink 5-6 teas a day and at any time I have at least 20 different kinds of tea. I prefer loose leaf teas and I always brew them in my cast Iron tetsubin . I have Darjeeling in the morning, first thing when i wake up and that tea needs to be brewed with boiling water. In course of the day I usually have green tea, Sencha or Gyokuro, which is my favorite and brewing temperature is very important (around 60f). I buy mine from this site http://www.umami-chaya.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and they ship from Japan, expensive as hell but worth every single penny if you ask me. They come in small 50g vacuum packages. In late afternoon I always have white needle tea. I always have cup or two a day of Hibiscus tea which is very acquired taste as is sour but is good for lowering blood pressure and cholesterol. For my kids instead of soda I make ice tea which consist of German Chamomile and Peppermint tea that i serve them with dinner.
had any kidney stones yet, Leo? Tea has a lot of oxalate and is one of the things stone formers need to moderate.
alan

Peter Kleban
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Peter Kleban » May 1st, 2010, 7:22 pm

I very much enjoy a good black tea for breakfast, straight up (no milk or anything else). Somehow the tannins are very penetrating yet refreshing and that taste serves as a kind of marking point for the morning.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Jay Miller » May 1st, 2010, 7:46 pm

If I had to choose a favorite I'd go with Second Flush Darjeeling. For ordering I usually use Upton or TeaGschwendner.

I picked up some very nice green teas at a shop in SF that will brew small samples of tea for you before you buy. Unfortunately I don't remember their names :(
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

John Tomasso

#39 Post by John Tomasso » May 2nd, 2010, 6:51 pm

Leeenda, I am not a tea drinker, but people who are seem to like this producer:
http://www.gypsytea.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

disclosure: I sell it
It's supposed to taste like that

Mike Grammer

#40 Post by Mike Grammer » May 6th, 2010, 6:45 am

Hey Linda! Already lots of great responses here.

On the Darjeelings and the other teas with the lettering. 'FOP' stands for "flowery orange pekoe". T is for "tippy"---just the tips of the leaves used, I think, another "F" is for "first flush" and "G" may be "green".

I'm quite particular about my darjeelings, my favourites have been Goomtee and Glenburn Estate, the real expensive stuff like Singhilli and Jungpala (last I saw it some 20 years ago, it was $90 an ounce) I actually don't like.

You haven't had Lapsang? Well, try it first. I tend to add a little bit to get some hickory taste if I'm boiling potatoes. [basic-smile.gif] I love Islay whiskies too, but you won't catch me drinking Lapsang straight. I can't bring myself to love Pu-Erh, despite how good it is for you. "Poo-Erh" is my moniker for it. Oops, prejudices showing! I do like a flavoured Rooibos every once in a while.

Monkey Pick Oolong is a go-to for me, Da Hong Bao is the bomb, wish I could source some. Assam is almost all on the strong side for me, my favourite there is Sewpur, which I find has an interesting fruity counterpoint on the taste.

Plenty of other Chinese tea, I'm a big fan of Silver Needles and white teas. I also use Dragon Phoenix Pearl Jasmine extensively as a cure-all. And that stuff keeps forever. My current loose-leaf bag is at least 7 years old and still just as potent. And of course Dragon Well (Lung Ching). Who doesn't love Dragon Well, eh Linda? [wink.gif] (BTW, I finally, a few weeks ago, finished off the stuff I bought on that visit with you at the Ferry Docks back last year).

I do like Ceylon teas and certain Japanese teas---not many Senchas and no Genmaicha for me---if I want popcorn, I'll buy popcorn. Emperor Gyokuro is very nice. I've tried to get the hang of matcha but haven't quite been able to do it. Some of the higher-end Kenyan teas (main ingredient in Irish Breakfast IIRC) like Milima estate can also be good.

Frank, with Japanese teas, my own experience is that you have to be ultra-precise on just how long you let them steep, and it's trial by error.

My everyday tea, if I had to choose one, is currently a keemun called Golden Monkey. But I'm going to pop some Glenburn in the cup this morning.

cheers,

JamieM.
Contributor
Contributor

#41 Post by JamieM. » May 7th, 2010, 11:14 am

I often drink a variety of Assams in the morning. I enjoy the malty character and find that the tannin level can be managed well by attention to steeping time. But they are powerful teas, no doubt about it.

I've been drinking quite a bit of Ceylon recently as well, and am appreciating its lighter body compared to Assam. I also think it's more aromatic when steeped.

I like many first flush Darjeelings too, although I haven't been drinking them much recently. The herbal aromas and bright acidity make them very refreshing, I think.

But the tea I can't get enough of is Jade Oolong. To me it's the Riesling of teas: sweet smelling orchard fruits and flowers, and a long, floral finish. Don't care much for more oxidized Oolongs.

On tea grades: they are used as quality designators for black teas, mostly designating leaf size and maturity of leaf at harvest time. This wikipedia article is very helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_pekoe
But here are all the possible letters with what they designate:
SFTGFOP: Special Finest Tippy Golden Flowery Orange Pekoe
McCorm1ck

I live five years if I take my time, ballin' that jack and drinkin' my wine

Mike Grammer

#42 Post by Mike Grammer » May 10th, 2010, 3:14 pm

Thanks for that, Jamie---I also thought I'd read somewhere that the letters actually mean different things in Ceylon and elsewhere than they do in India.

I picked up some Hoji-Cha (roasted Sencha) recently and like it as a change of pace. My last visit on the weekend (curse all of you!) picked up a refill of Monkey Oolong, a chocolate-and-spice Yerba Mate, some Chun Mee green (haven't tried it before), a Koslanda from Ceylon and a refill of my beloved Glenburn (my current bag is from Vienna! This is the first time one of my local stores has been able to bring it in).

FTR, a cup of coffee has never passed my lips.

Alfred L.

#43 Post by Alfred L. » May 10th, 2010, 3:42 pm

I drink hojicha all the time; a very very good tea (love the aluminum foil inside each packet).

But my favorite all-time is the Organic Earl Grey from Granville Tea Company. (http://www.granvilletea.com/shop/). Get a package of the stuff; open it, smell it - it's so fragrant... man just took a whiff; I got to go make myself a cup right now...
A L F R E D L E O N G

Frank Deis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Frank Deis » May 14th, 2010, 7:41 pm

A few years ago I read that there was tea grown in the high mountains of Taiwan/Formosa, which one year was not picked at the usual time because of an earthquake. When they finally got in an picked the leaves, there was a special flavor like honey that everyone loved. At the time, the theory was that the flavor came from insect poop, a secretion on the leaves from some kind of bug.

Searching today, evidently the science has progressed and now all the websites say it is not bug poop at all, but rather an abundance of phenolic compounds produced by the leaves in response to predation.

I remember this as pertaining to Cold Mounting Oolong (Tung Ting or Dong Ding), but there are several teas that make the same claim. You can google "oolong leafhopper" to see what I mean.

http://www.google.com/search?q=leafhopper+oolong

dteng

#45 Post by dteng » May 14th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Been drinking Osmanthus Oolong from TenRen for the last couple years.
Mom brought some up from Calif.
I noticed there are several grades...some pretty expensive stuff at the top.
But honestly, the $10-15 yellow bag one is great. The Osmanthus gives the oolong a nice floral touch.

Love it.
Dan

Mike Grammer

#46 Post by Mike Grammer » May 19th, 2010, 1:51 pm

I liked the Osmanthus Oolong for a while, Dan, but haven't been keen on getting a resupply just yet. You're right, though, the osmanthus flowers provide an interesting counterpoint to the oolong.

Ted Erfer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Ted Erfer » May 22nd, 2010, 10:52 am

I buy my tea from House of Tea in Phila. Been there for a long time.
I knew the owner - who died several years ago - his daughter, Jessica, now runs the business.
Nat Litt was a legend in Phila. Read his bio on the site - incredible guy. Studied with Frank Lloyd Wright - was an architect and ran away to be a clown with Ringling Bros. On the cover of Life Mag. And lots more before he opened his tea shop. Wonderful guy. My daughter's campus job in college was managing the tea house at Sarah Lawrence. Nat's wife graduated from there and they supplied the tea gratis.

Here is their URL:
http://www.houseoftea.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jessica is very knowledgeable about Tea and brewing.
Try Jasime pearls -- I enjoy a good pot of Jasmine tea. Try the Spring Hao Ya (green) if you like a little "smoke."
I also like the Earl Grey teas - and she has a number of scents. Try the Earl Grey Imperial #2 - it has some violets.
She also has an "after dinner" tea which as bits of coco - yum.

We have an office in Taiwan and I also pick up tea when I am there. There are amazing Taiwan mountain teas.

Mike Grammer

#48 Post by Mike Grammer » May 28th, 2010, 10:15 am

Very interesting and fairly complete inventory on that website, Ted---maybe I'll hve to check them out on my next visit!

Got some good news from my House of Tea purveyor here in Toronto---she's getting in TWO versions of Da Hong Pao for me in a few weeks. Very excited!

Alfred L.

#49 Post by Alfred L. » May 28th, 2010, 1:52 pm

Ted,

I am incredibly jealous - I love visiting Taiwan - just for the dumplings (din tai fung), sushi, and tea.
A L F R E D L E O N G

Marlene L. Rossman

#50 Post by Marlene L. Rossman » May 29th, 2010, 9:54 am

About 20+ years ago, I was working in London for a month. I was then a coffee drinker. The first morning that I was there, I ordered coffee, orange juice and toast. The toast was ice cold, the orange juice was bitter (to my American palate) as grapefruit juice and the coffee tasted like dirty sock juice. Keep in mind that this was before the Starbuck's/coffee boutique craze hit the world.

When I asked for a new pot of coffee to be brewed for me, the waiter said "of course, but you may want to try tea." I did and I was hooked. Since then, I have been drinking strong brewed black tea every, Brit style, with milk and sugar. I never went back to coffee.

I order my Organic Assam from Harney's:
http://www.harney.com/?gclid=CLT0nKjm96ECFQ_yDAodHza3FA

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”