Best Steak butcher in Chicago

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2929
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#1 Post by Alan Eden » April 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

I used to love Fox and Obel when it was open for steaks and other high end items, i now buy my USDA prime from prime n tender in Hinsdale but is there a high end butcher butcher like Flannery or similar in the Chicago land area that im missing ? im not looking for cheap or bargin steaks, im looking for gourmet quality steaks.

Any thoughts anyone ?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3788
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 9:02 am

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#2 Post by Siun o'Connell » April 8th, 2019, 11:14 am

Eataly's meat counter has some seriously aged beef - I have not tried it but have been pleased with the basics I've ordered. Their service is mixed with at times really knowledgeable folks and at others, meh

How's Gepperth's or Paulina - I'd likely head to either if I was not ordering from Flannery/

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26254
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#3 Post by Corey N. » April 8th, 2019, 11:26 am

PQM (Publican Quality Meats) on Fulton has very high quality meat and you will absolutely pay through the nose for it. You might also try Butcher & Larder, Paulina Meat Market, Gepperth's Meat Market and Gene's Sausage Shop & Delicatessen in Lincoln Square.
Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15489
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#4 Post by David K o l i n » April 8th, 2019, 11:31 am

Rob Levitt is at PQM now. A great addition, but they only do whole animals (like Butcher & Larder), so steaks are rarer than at some butchers like Bryan, Otto and Paulina. Nice product, though

User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2929
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#5 Post by Alan Eden » April 8th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Publican is great but horrifically expensive and i did not see many good steaks, mostly cured meats. Butcher and Larder was OK but not tried the others. Does Eataly have a real butcher ? or more selling pre packaged stuff ?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3788
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 9:02 am

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#6 Post by Siun o'Connell » April 8th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Alan - they have a butcher and a separate fish counter. Towards the back on the second floor. A lot of Piedmont beef and some unexpected items -- and a cases of aged beef. I tend to pop in if I'm in the area and don't want to go grocery shopping - I know I can grab some good produce and a steak or such that's good. (I miss Fox & Obel btw - I loved going to a movie then wandering over for some snacks to take home for the weekend and some good meats - no where else quite fits that niche)

User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2929
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#7 Post by Alan Eden » April 8th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Fox and Obel was great, good meat, fish, cheese and then loads of other stuff for fun. The wine was never great but that was OK.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Michael Klein
Posts: 411
Joined: March 24th, 2015, 10:01 am

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#8 Post by Michael Klein » April 8th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Sigh, this is a tough one. I used to go to Olympia Meats on Randolph before it closed. That was indeed a very sad day.

Now, I do my best to eat Slagel Farms. You can find it either by contacting them directly or going to certain grocery stores. I go to Fresh Market Place on Western ave and they carry it.

Smoked a prime slagel brisket yesterday that was outstanding!

User avatar
John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2903
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 1:27 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#9 Post by John Davis » April 8th, 2019, 2:03 pm

I remember Fox & Obel. Neat grocery store. And yes, good meat.

JD
ITB

User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2929
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#10 Post by Alan Eden » April 8th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Michael Klein wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 12:55 pm
Sigh, this is a tough one. I used to go to Olympia Meats on Randolph before it closed. That was indeed a very sad day.

Now, I do my best to eat Slagel Farms. You can find it either by contacting them directly or going to certain grocery stores. I go to Fresh Market Place on Western ave and they carry it.

Smoked a prime slagel brisket yesterday that was outstanding!
What happened to Olympia meats, that place had been there forever
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26254
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#11 Post by Corey N. » April 8th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 2:32 pm
Michael Klein wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 12:55 pm
Sigh, this is a tough one. I used to go to Olympia Meats on Randolph before it closed. That was indeed a very sad day.

Now, I do my best to eat Slagel Farms. You can find it either by contacting them directly or going to certain grocery stores. I go to Fresh Market Place on Western ave and they carry it.

Smoked a prime slagel brisket yesterday that was outstanding!
What happened to Olympia meats, that place had been there forever
Real estate was too valuable.

I liked Olympia and used to walk there from my condo, but it was a value play, not as high quality as the places mentioned upthread.
Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15489
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#12 Post by David K o l i n » April 8th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Olympia was a good place to get a whole lamb or goat. Not much call for that in my family.

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15489
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#13 Post by David K o l i n » April 8th, 2019, 2:55 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 12:40 pm
Fox and Obel was great, good meat, fish, cheese and then loads of other stuff for fun. The wine was never great but that was OK.
The wine selection was quite excellent when it first opened. Didn’t last long.

User avatar
John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2903
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 1:27 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#14 Post by John Davis » April 10th, 2019, 7:52 am

David K o l i n wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 2:55 pm
Alan Eden wrote:
April 8th, 2019, 12:40 pm
Fox and Obel was great, good meat, fish, cheese and then loads of other stuff for fun. The wine was never great but that was OK.
The wine selection was quite excellent when it first opened. Didn’t last long.
It was a nice section in the beginning. I think they were a retailer who had issues figuring out who they were. I believe there were plans for additional stores but that never panned out.
ITB

WvanGorp
Posts: 1555
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 9:37 am

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#15 Post by WvanGorp » April 10th, 2019, 8:41 am

IMHO the only game in town is Eataly. The others are interesting and despite credentials I’ve never had a mind blowing steak from PQM—always disappointed. Paulina is great for sausages and they are real butchers but their meat is Choice. So for me it’s Eataly or ordering via fed ex.
Wilfred van Gorp

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26254
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#16 Post by Corey N. » April 10th, 2019, 9:30 am

WvanGorp wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 8:41 am
IMHO the only game in town is Eataly. The others are interesting and despite credentials I’ve never had a mind blowing steak from PQM—always disappointed. Paulina is great for sausages and they are real butchers but their meat is Choice. So for me it’s Eataly or ordering via fed ex.
Eataly steaks are very good, but they absolutely charge you through the nose. IIRC, the last time I bought prime cowboy ribeyes at Eataly they were $40ish a pound. Costco -- also prime, though not as well-marbled -- was literally half the price.
Nøv¡¢k

Clayton Wai-Poi
Posts: 933
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 3:45 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#17 Post by Clayton Wai-Poi » April 10th, 2019, 9:47 am

I would also vote for Eataly and PQM as the best but priced so.

One real find is the butcher counter at the back of Big Apple market at 2345 N Clark. All their beef is prime from a downstate IL supplier. Very good stuff and fair prices (below the fore mentioned above Costco/grocery). If anyone checks it out, let me know your thoughts.

User avatar
Ryan Kilkenney
Posts: 961
Joined: July 29th, 2009, 7:36 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#18 Post by Ryan Kilkenney » April 13th, 2019, 6:58 am

WvanGorp wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 8:41 am
IMHO the only game in town is Eataly. The others are interesting and despite credentials I’ve never had a mind blowing steak from PQM—always disappointed. Paulina is great for sausages and they are real butchers but their meat is Choice. So for me it’s Eataly or ordering via fed ex.
They have prime, also. But I agree that steak isn’t their focus.

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3788
Joined: June 4th, 2012, 9:02 am

Re: Best Steak butcher in Chicago

#19 Post by Siun o'Connell » April 13th, 2019, 7:46 am

Clayton Wai-Poi wrote:
April 10th, 2019, 9:47 am
I would also vote for Eataly and PQM as the best but priced so.

One real find is the butcher counter at the back of Big Apple market at 2345 N Clark. All their beef is prime from a downstate IL supplier. Very good stuff and fair prices (below the fore mentioned above Costco/grocery). If anyone checks it out, let me know your thoughts.
Good suggestion ... I just recently discovered them when picking something up across the street at Pharmacy (a lovely pharmacy to deal with btw - and they deliver which is better). Big Apple is a funny place but that back butcher counter is a gem.

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”