RÖSTI

Here comes a Swiss classic, Rösti. I just read an NYTimes article about Rösti in the Swiss alpes and it reminds me to cook it more often. Serve it as a side dish for example for lamb or as a main dish with a fried egg on top or as a posh version with smoked salmon and sour cream.

There are differing opinions about the best way to make rösti. Some cooks grate their potatoes raw. Others insist the potatoes must be boiled in advance and refrigerated, preferably overnight, before grating. I am in the raw camp. But try it out which version you prefer.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=1441

Ro9.jpg
ENJOY
Martin

The irony is that the “German” version is made with the steamed/boiled potatoes, and the “French” version uses the raw potatoes. They are all very good though.

It’s just a giant potato latke. I once made them and served it with something like beef stew sans most of the gravy over it. It was really good - the crunchy fried potato with the soft beef and veggies on top.

P.S. of course Rösti is a classic side dish to Zurich Ragout known as Züri-Gschnätzlets (Zsur-ē-Gshnetz-lets) in Swiss German dialect. A veal ragout with a lot of cream and white wine.

The Polish Village Cafe in Hamtramck has had this on the menu for decades.

Hungarian Pancake…$13.25

(PLACEK PO WEGIERSKU) One huge potato pancake covered in a pork & veggie goulash with a mild kick of spice!

And SOOOO delicious…

There are only a few Polish dishes that I really love, and that is one of them. So hard to find a good one, but when you do…

Sadly there is no equivalent to that cafe here in Arizona that I’m aware of…