Consistently superb: Flannery

Every so often, I will order a ton of 28 day bone in ribeye from Brian. They arrive beautiful and marbled, and vacuum packed, so it’s easy to freeze them. And each time we eat them, we marvel at how great they are. We shared one tonight, with a bottle, and the steaks were so complex and tender, that a very good wine became great.

Flannery beef is the best!
You buy a ton!
Been enjoying since I became a berserker.

I heartily agree. One sometimes asks, is it really worth spending a bit more on beef. With Flannery – absolutely. My wife who is not a big beef fan still loves it. One of my regular buys on Berserker Day.

And yes, it makes such a difference with a great bottle of wine.

and such great people.

This

All of this.

I don’t like to eat beef very often, so when I do, I want it to be great. Flannery never disappoints. My family wants beef more often than I do, and they are fine with tri-tip or sirloin from Wegmans a lot of the time. But even my 9 year old stepson recognizes the difference when he gets Flannery.

Apologies for the slight thread drift but Mark, how do you defrost the steaks? Any “best practices”? Just move it into the fridge for 24 hours? I don’t have a sous vide thingy so that’s out of the question. Have some steaks in the freezer from BD10 and have a birthday coming up! TIA.

Assuming it’s already vacuum sealed - Under cold water in the sink. Fast and safe.

Agree with everything, just wanted to add that I think 28 day is a good sweet spot for general use.

Yes.

I have started with hot tap water in a large bowl. Water will quickly cool as the steak thaws with no real cooking effect. Most hot tap water is 110-120 deg.

I can’t agree more with regard to all the praise that Bryan and fine team at FFF get. It’s a top-notch place with oustanding meat (beef, yes, but other stuff is great as well).

Helpful info on defrosting. Thanks!

24h in the fridge will do great. I agree 28 is the sweet spot.

Just wanted to add my voice … superb beef and even better customer service. All round best possible experience.

My freezer is set at 0, and refrigerator at 37. That’s the way my fridge came, but I could adjust.
24h in refrigerator does not thaw my steaks. Are my settings colder than you guys who thaw in 24h?

and Flannery rocks.

I have no idea what the temp is in my freezer or fridge but I wondered if my steaks would actually thaw in that time. I was planning on putting them in the fridge for 24h then using the water bath technique as a back-up plan if that didn’t do it.

24 hours has never been enough in my experience. The cold water bath is safe, effective and fast. No downside.

combine em both if you’re afraid of the food safety outside of the fridge.

Water bath and put the water bath into the fridge.

The first time I ordered, my wife raised her eyebrows at the price. Now she checks the freezer and announces that we are low on Flannery if the stash does not meet her expectations.
And yes, also the best customer service.