SF lunch for 50 or so, near the Moscone Center

ACS Clinical Congress returns to SF in Oct and we are trying to set up a lunch gathering for the combined chapters of Washington & Oregon on Tuesday Oct, 29.

It will be a strictly social affair, by that I mean purely political.

I need a place where 25-50, or more, could gather; walking distance from the convention center preferred. Good food a plus, there won’t be much drinking other than coffee I’d guess.

Thanks in advance.

Slanted Door?
Ferry building, not too far of a walk, good setting.
Lots of shops and distractions there too.

I doubt they would want to accommodate a group that large. I think The Slanted Door is the largest grossing restaurant in SF so they are always busy. But I might be wrong.

Slanted Door is indeed busy the majority of the day (especially lunch and dinner times). It’s also 1.1 miles away from Moscone Center, so not exactly a quick hike and back.

Going anywhere over 2 blocks from Moscone feels like a haul when you’re dealing with convention goers, tourists and locals. In the immediate vicinity, the choices aren’t exactly stellar. You might consider Osha Thai on 3rd & Folsom, Zero Zero on Folsom just past 4th, or Fang on Howard Street. Mourad on New Montgomery is a quality choice, but I don’t know if they have private room space to accommodate 50 folks (25 in their main dining room shouldn’t be an issue at lunchtime).

I’ve always had good experiences with Osha Thai though not been to that location. They’d be my likely first call about space.

Ah got it.
Just figured it’d be a good spot for tourists.
I’ve actually seen private events held there.

Dan, just about any restaurant is available for a private event, but at a substantial cost (room charge, food and beverage minimums, etc.) so probably not appropriate for Glenn’s group.

Slanted Door does do private events … blocking off part or all of their seating for it (I know because we were unable to eat there one night with a client thanks to a party they were hosting - I really don’t think the room is designed well for such events imho) but the distance from Moscone is just too far for a midday meal during a work event I think (and the cost is probably crazy).

Slanted Door is way too far away. Walking distance from Moscone for a group of surgeons squeezing lunch into a very busy meeting day.

I wonder if you could have a food truck or two show up, or a restaurant deliver to a nice rental room?

Glenn, I just had a business meeting at The Grill at the ST Regis. would fit the bill for your needs IMVHO, food good enough, room large enough to hold your group Oh, and it is a whopping 4 minute walk down to 3rd and Mission.

I’m sure the Palace could accommodate you, ideally in the gorgeous & historic Garden Court (the former horse carriage turn around) or otherwise in a private DR (try and get an historic room). Place is gorgeous, food should be not bad (if not exceptional). Also - assume they wouldn’t do it at lunch, but take over the Maxfield PArrish bar?

Just checked the website for the Maxfield Parrish bar at the Palace (The Pied Piper) - they now only open at 4pm, so maybe they will give it to you for a private lunch! That would be an awesome spot! That & the Garden Coirt are sui generis SF history - I believe the Palace is the only hotel down there that did not burn (or fall) in the 1906 earthquake.

Spruce might work, although it’s not walking distance. Good food.