Cat Cora storms out of Alinea: looks like a chef with too strong a sense of entitlement.

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion

Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Cat Cora storms out of Alinea: looks like a chef with too strong a sense of entitlement.

#2 Post by Mark.Ricca » March 7th, 2019, 6:32 am

Old saying we used to use in the kitchen:
"Lose your head, and your ass goes right with it."
ITB
"Bacon would improve the flavor of an angel"
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
"We're a lot like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice, really like licorice."

johngonzales

Re: Cat Cora storms out of Alinea: looks like a chef with too strong a sense of entitlement.

#3 Post by johngonzales » March 7th, 2019, 11:18 am

Kind of a he said - she said, but Cat’s coming across as the much more questionable here. It’s an aside but from what I see of her, she’s pretty weak within the Iron Chef realm.

Btw, I just happened to have started watching “Chef’s Table” on Netflix. It isn’t great, and some of the segments are definitely better than others, but the episode on Achatz was really interesting. He is quite the culinary mind.

Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Larry P » March 7th, 2019, 4:21 pm

johngonzales wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 11:18 am
Btw, I just happened to have started watching “Chef’s Table” on Netflix. It isn’t great, and some of the segments are definitely better than others, but the episode on Achatz was really interesting. He is quite the culinary mind.
Yeah and in that episode Achatz casts some shade on Charlie Trotter, who is mentioned by Cat Cora in her social media response. Maybe a deeper issue at work, but it sounds like her assistant messed up or didn't communicate the date of the reservation, and she tried to play the star power card.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Chris Blum » March 7th, 2019, 5:41 pm

She or her assistant screwed up.

Alinea has (literal) receipts...

"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by David K o l i n » March 7th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Larry P wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 4:21 pm
johngonzales wrote:
March 7th, 2019, 11:18 am
Yeah and in that episode Achatz casts some shade on Charlie Trotter, who is mentioned by Cat Cora in her social media response.
There were issues there

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Anton D » March 7th, 2019, 7:26 pm

I vote with Alinea on this.

An F-bombing tantrum? Please, narcs, daytime Ambien?

Cora into rehab story this fall.
Anton Dotson

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Siun o'Connell » March 7th, 2019, 7:45 pm

There were more than issues with Trotter ... for many of the young chefs who went through his kitchen.

I really recommend Achatz' autobiography Life on the Line.

Mel Hill

#9 Post by Mel Hill » March 8th, 2019, 6:31 am

Charlie was a bit of a jerk in high school. he and his “gang” known as “the danger boys” would come to my sister’s keg parties (it was the ‘70’s) and do mean things like kick our pug and climb the side of our house.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by George Hejna » March 8th, 2019, 6:50 am

Charlie was a brilliant chef, he really created fine dining in Chicago. That being said he was difficult to work for/with.(putting it nicely)
A long time ago you could make a donation to his charity and work 1 night in the kitchen of his restaurant.... which I did. I was able to witness him interact with his team 1st hand.

George

Corey N.

#11 Post by Corey N. » March 8th, 2019, 7:25 am

Cat was just trying to start a conversation.

Weak sauce. TKO Kokonas.
Nøv¡¢k

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by David K o l i n » March 8th, 2019, 7:57 am

George Hejna wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 6:50 am
Charlie was a brilliant chef, he really created fine dining in Chicago. That being said he was difficult to work for/with.(putting it nicely)
A long time ago you could make a donation to his charity and work 1 night in the kitchen of his restaurant.... which I did. I was able to witness him interact with his team 1st hand.

George
I did this several times. Fascinating and humbling, even as an accomplished cook. My detailed knifework was atrocious.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by George Hejna » March 8th, 2019, 8:03 am

David K o l i n wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 7:57 am
George Hejna wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 6:50 am

George
I did this several times. Fascinating and humbling, even as an accomplished cook. My detailed knifework was atrocious.
My thumb lasted about 30 min. Cut the hell out of it. Wore finger condoms the rest of the night. [wow.gif]

I did get to work the hot line with Guiseppi when he was sous. champagne.gif

George

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Mark Golodetz » March 8th, 2019, 9:04 am

Corey N. wrote:
March 8th, 2019, 7:25 am
Cat was just trying to start a conversation.

Weak sauce. TKO Kokonas.
Start a conversation? That is funny. Her publicist is trying to dilute her tantrum.
ITB

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Kris Patten » March 9th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Did a dinner years ago with her when there used to be a chefs on tour series in WA to promote their books. Not impressed with her, or her food.
ITB

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Nick Gangas » March 11th, 2019, 8:25 am

Who is she anyway ? What restaurant brought her to fame for her to be considered a celebrity chef ?

Scott G r u n e r

#17 Post by Scott G r u n e r » March 11th, 2019, 9:44 am

Nick Gangas wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 8:25 am
Who is she anyway ? What restaurant brought her to fame for her to be considered a celebrity chef ?
There is a Cat Cora named restaurant in one of the SFO terminals. Does that help? I researched this once before and recall being somewhat unimpressed with her resume. In general it seems the American iron chefs were (in general) a departure from the credibility of the asian show. (Morimoto, etc)
//Cynic

Jason Hagen

#18 Post by Jason Hagen » March 11th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 9:44 am
Nick Gangas wrote:
There is a Cat Cora named restaurant in one of the SFO terminals. Does that help? I researched this once before and recall being somewhat unimpressed with her resume. In general it seems the American iron chefs were (in general) a departure from the credibility of the asian show. (Morimoto, etc)
I thought there used to be some restaurant but I just knew her from TV. I have eaten two times at her restaurant in Houston airport. Terrible!!!

Jason

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Michael Bowden » March 11th, 2019, 4:43 pm

From her website -
Cat has opened more than 18 restaurants across the United States and globally, highlighting her platform on health, wellness and sustainability.

Cat Cora’s Kitchen, located in numerous airport locations throughout the U.S., Cat Cora’s Taproom located in the Detroit Metro Airport, Ocean by Cat Cora, an award-winning restaurant in Singapore, Kouzzina by Cat Cora at Disney World, CCQ at Macy’s, Postino in San Francisco’s East Bay, Mesa Burger which can be found in Santa Barbara, and Olilo by Cat Cora and Wicked Eats by Cat Cora have over 500 pop-ups across the country.
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by T Welch » March 11th, 2019, 5:17 pm

She worked at Postino in Lafayette, CA, until about 15 years ago. I know a few people who worked with her. They said she could be difficult. Imagine that, a difficult chef.
T*R*U*E*T*T - ITB

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Siun o'Connell » March 11th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 9:44 am
Nick Gangas wrote:
Haven't they all been Food Network celebs ... rather than major chefs?

I'll take Final Dinner on Netflix instead of US iron chef for sure

ERPark

#22 Post by ERPark » March 12th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Iron Chef America released in 2005. Of the original ICAs, Masaharu Morimoto and Mario Batali had their restaurant empires established or in growth mode. Bobby Flay didn’t really ratchet up to restaurant mogul status until his ICA/Food Network exposure. Cat Cora is the youngest of all the original ICAs, and her restaurant empire didn’t kick in until well after she became somewhat of a name via ICA.

Morimoto was on the original Iron Chef (compiling a 16-7-1 record) as well as the head chef at Nobu NYC, before he started up his restaurant empire in 2001. Batali partnered with the Bastianich family to form the B&B Hospitality Group in 1998. So both those guys definitely earned their culinary stripes before they became serious TV celebrities via ICA.
GEN3

Michael Ferris

#23 Post by Michael Ferris » March 12th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Iron Chef America sucked, plain and simple. I think Flay was already somewhat established by the time he was on ICA; the exposure certainly did him no harm though. I never even heard of Cat Cora prior to her appearances on the show, and quite frankly, I haven't heard of her since. But, she has no restaurant in my town, and frankly again, I don't think I would be likely to seek it out anyway.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by AlexS » March 12th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Flay was on the original Iron Chef...iirc, he greatly "offended" the Japanese by stepping on his cutting board after the battle.
s t e w @ r t

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Sh@n A » March 12th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Friend competed on Iron Chef once. They told him three different ingredients ahead of time, and he prepped a menu for each of them and learned the secret ingredient on the show. Presumably the Iron Chef is told the single ingredient in advance. He chose to go against Morimoto and got smoked.
/ @ g r @ \

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Nick Gangas » March 13th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Ok I meant why does she qualify as a superstar chef ? Like been said most of the chefs had established restaurant and reputations before they went on the show.

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by John Davis » March 14th, 2019, 5:09 am

Nick Gangas wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 1:56 pm
Ok I meant why does she qualify as a superstar chef ? Like been said most of the chefs had established restaurant and reputations before they went on the show.
I don’t think she does.
ITB

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”