Anchovies

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

Anchovies

#1 Post by Craig G » March 2nd, 2019, 2:14 pm

I’ve been in search of better anchovies recently and can report on two very good options. I’ve tried many other brands that are available locally including Ortiz and the two I’m recommending are several steps above.

Jay Miller recommended the Don Bocarte anchovies from Despana. I ordered some and they are extremely good, though the price is high and Despana wants to express ship them since they are refrigerated. I guess these may need to be kept cold due to lower salt content, but I’m not certain.

https://shop.despanabrandfoods.com/prod ... -anchovies

BTW don’t throw away the olive oil that these are packed in. It’s very good on bread.

Another very good option is Donostia:

https://www.donostiafoods.com/products/anchovies

These are a bit saltier than the ones above but less so than store brands. The texture is excellent. Donostia ships free for orders over $70-ish so these end up less than 50% of the Despana cost for me.

I may continue to order both of the above. I’d use the Donostia fish in anything since the cost isn’t that high. I would prefer to eat the Don Bocartes by themselves as it shows off their texture and flavor.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Anchovies

#2 Post by Jay Miller » March 3rd, 2019, 6:09 am

Glad my recommendation worked out for you! I fell in love with those anchovies.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by scamhi » March 3rd, 2019, 6:56 am

I recently purchased a 500g flat of Anchoa, Serie Oro, Gold Series Anchovies in Olive Oil from Regalis foods. They are brown, flat packaged in layers and much firmer than any jarred anchovy. Perfect eaten on a slice of grilled ciabatta
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Mike Evans » March 3rd, 2019, 7:10 am

I had a terrific dish made with these anchovies at Rue Cler in Durham about a year ago: https://www.gustiamo.com/salted-anchovi ... y-nettuno/.

Also, some hazelnuts from Gustiamo were a revelation, I don’t think I realized until tasting them that it had been years since I’d had a hazelnut that wasn’t at least starting to turn rancid.

Hat tip to Nathan V. (VLM) for introducing me to Gustiamo.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Anton D » March 3rd, 2019, 10:21 am

Thank you for that recommendation! I will be sure to check them out.

We had liked the line kept in the fridge ate Whole Foods, but they changed. This could be a great way to get the joy back!
Anton Dotson

Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Larry P » March 6th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Mike Evans wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 7:10 am
I had a terrific dish made with these anchovies at Rue Cler in Durham about a year ago: https://www.gustiamo.com/salted-anchovi ... y-nettuno/.

Also, some hazelnuts from Gustiamo were a revelation, I don’t think I realized until tasting them that it had been years since I’d had a hazelnut that wasn’t at least starting to turn rancid.

^^^ These are what I use. Very different flavor compared to oil-packed. You have to fillet them but it's pretty quick once you have the hang of it.
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Betty C » March 11th, 2019, 1:58 am

I use salt-packed anchovies that are repackaged for sale by my local market, so I don’t know what brand it is. Regardless, I recommend salt-packed over those kept in oil because I find the flavor to be far less fishy.
Ch00

ryancurry
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#8 Post by ryancurry » March 13th, 2019, 6:04 pm

I love this thread. Don Bocarte are the best that I've found, but they certainly aren't cheap. I need to try some of the other suggestions.
itb

Bdklein

#9 Post by Bdklein » March 14th, 2019, 12:21 pm

Betty C wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 1:58 am
I use salt-packed anchovies that are repackaged for sale by my local market, so I don’t know what brand it is. Regardless, I recommend salt-packed over those kept in oil because I find the flavor to be far less fishy.
Aren’t anchovies supposed to be (salty and) fishy? I guess I’ve never had high end anchovies.
Bruce Klein

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow

#10 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » March 14th, 2019, 12:50 pm

Any of you [fellow] anchovy lovers use colatura d'alici..in your cooking or otherwise?

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Craig G » March 14th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Bdklein wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 12:21 pm
Betty C wrote:
Aren’t anchovies supposed to be (salty and) fishy? I guess I’ve never had high end anchovies.
They’re all salty, but some of the supermarket brands are intensely so. The salt packed ones can be soaked so you can modulate the saltiness quite a bit.

As for fishiness, I think we all want our fish to taste like fish, but we don’t want them to taste “fishy” :-)
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Craig G » March 14th, 2019, 1:16 pm

BTW until I found the Donostia and Don Bocarte anchovies, I also preferred salt-packed, but I like these oil-packed versions more.

C. Gle@son

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Kenny H » March 14th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Solid data points. Thanks CG!
H0eve!kamp

Betty C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Betty C » March 14th, 2019, 10:06 pm

Craig G wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 1:12 pm
Bdklein wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 12:21 pm
Betty C wrote:
They’re all salty, but some of the supermarket brands are intensely so. The salt packed ones can be soaked so you can modulate the saltiness quite a bit.

As for fishiness, I think we all want our fish to taste like fish, but we don’t want them to taste “fishy” :-)
This. When I say fishy, I mean it in the rotten sense.
Ch00

#15 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » March 19th, 2019, 2:43 pm

You [inadvertently, it seems] raised a very interesting point....about "fishy"....

the colatura is both appealing and "fishy" in the sense you use it.

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by scamhi » March 25th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 12:50 pm
Any of you [fellow] anchovy lovers use colatura d'alici..in your cooking or otherwise?
I do.
S u z a n n e C a m h i

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Jay Miller » March 26th, 2019, 6:28 am

I stopped by Despana this past weekend to pick up some anchovies for a party. The price came as a surprise but I swallowed a bit and went ahead.

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by scamhi » March 26th, 2019, 6:34 am

Jay Miller wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 6:28 am
I stopped by Despana this past weekend to pick up some anchovies for a party. The price came as a surprise but I swallowed a bit and went ahead.
what kind did you get? white or brown?
S u z a n n e C a m h i

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Jay Miller » March 26th, 2019, 7:12 am

These:

Wish I had thought to check Amazon first. These are noticeably less expensive than what Despana is charging.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Craig G » March 26th, 2019, 7:43 am

Jay Miller wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 7:12 am
These:

Wish I had thought to check Amazon first. These are noticeably less expensive than what Despana is charging.
Were you buying the big can? I looked on Amazon for the small containers and they were more expensive than Despana.

C. Gle@son

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by scamhi » March 26th, 2019, 9:27 am

Jay Miller wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 7:12 am
These:

if you haven't opened them return them to Despaña.
I will send you a link for an excellent 500g flat of anchoas in olive oil from Cantabria, Spain. under $60.00
S u z a n n e C a m h i

julianseersmartin

#22 Post by julianseersmartin » March 26th, 2019, 11:36 am

COuld you send me that link too, please?

#23 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » March 26th, 2019, 12:48 pm

scamhi wrote:
March 25th, 2019, 6:03 pm
Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow wrote:
March 14th, 2019, 12:50 pm
I do.
champagne.gif I baked some scallops with panko crumbs...and made spaghetti with colatura last night.....really good stuff.

quite an ingredient....though I haven't figured out much more to do with it than flavor pasta....which is enough, I guess.

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by scamhi » March 26th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Stuart,

I add a dash to all braised dishes. Similar to Fish Sauce it add umami
S u z a n n e C a m h i

#25 Post by Stuart BeauneHead Niemtzow » March 27th, 2019, 10:12 am

A little more costly than fish sauce...

I do add some anchovy paste to braises usually....but...this stuff is a little too...costly for that...in my house. [stirthepothal.gif]

J. Ashourian

#26 Post by J. Ashourian » April 2nd, 2019, 3:38 pm

I have had the Markys "00" Filet of Cantabrian anchovy. They are very similar to Don Bocarte. Order from Markys.com
Justin

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Craig G » April 2nd, 2019, 3:57 pm

J. Ashourian wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 3:38 pm
I have had the Markys "00" Filet of Cantabrian anchovy. They are very similar to Don Bocarte. Order from Markys.com
Order in :-)

C. Gle@son

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Craig G » April 5th, 2019, 7:50 am

J. Ashourian wrote:
April 2nd, 2019, 3:38 pm
Justin, thanks for the tip. These were indeed very good. I think the price came out similar or slightly lower than ordering Don Bocarte through Despana, but Markys had another product that is relatively cheap and fantastic - sardine filets cures like anchovies:

https://www.markys.com/Smoked-Salmon-an ... -lbs..html

These are not at all like any canned sardine as they are cured and not cooked. The texture is softer than the anchovies and they are less salty.

C. Gle@son

Nathan V.

#29 Post by Nathan V. » April 5th, 2019, 9:20 am

Mike Evans wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 7:10 am

Glad you liked them. These are like crack to me. I haven't had anything else quite as good. Cetara seem to be the best anchovies I've found but AFAIK there are only a couple of producers you can get stateside. Also, if you haven't tried the Colatura from them, it'll blow your mind.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”