Speaking of Saveur

It was my favorite food magazine hands down. Then Adam Sachs took the EiC spot, beloved features were cut, the year end 100 issue was dropped, the number of yearly issues reduced, and I lost interest.
Adam lasted about 2 years, and now Stacy Adimando is the EiC. The content seems to have picked up a little bit, but the magazine is a mere shadow of what it used to be.

I have ten years+ of back issues going to around 2000, which I pull up in their respective monthly issue groups, and re-read for inspiration, but my current subscription will be allowed to lapse. Goddamned shame.

I ran into Coleman Andrews at a Portuguese wine event in Manhattan about two years ago. We both bemoaned the changes that had taken place.
I haven’t found any other publication that comes close to taking it’s place.

You are correct. Great content for a time. But I dropped off some time ago.

I hear you. We dropped it several years back. Sporadically an issue or two gets sent to us each year trying to lure us back in.

same here. Used to love it and one year just never renewed.

How about Chris Kimball’s Milk Street?

I did a subscription to his print version (they full court press you for subscriptions to all media), and while I enjoy it and have taken some cues from it, it’s not all that different than Cook’s.

I’ve also heard rumors that he is an avid Deadhead, but he refuses to confirm.

I fear I am coming to the same conclusion. Not nearly as interesting or as informative as I used to find it. Anyone find a good substitute yet?

Add another to the list of those disappointed with Saveur. It once was one of the most consistently beautiful magazines published. But now the articles aren’t worth turning the pages. Does anyone know what changed with the company?

What, specifically, did you guys like about the Saveur of old?

I think that the old version went into more detail both about different food trends around the world as well as providing informative techniques and recipes. This is an imperfect analogy, but it is a bit like the old New Yorker versus the new – though I still like the new New Yorker. The new Saveur seems quite thin and scatter shot on content. To be honest when I first saw the concern expressed here I did not have that reaction myself. But I just read two recent issues that had piled up and I found very little of interest (not nothing, to be fair, but much less than I used to find).

I am curious what others think. I would like to be proven wrong, but my recent experience was not so positive.

The first issue with white truffles and risotto got me hooked for a while and then things changed and I stopped my subscription.

I really liked the content in “Art of Eating” but got frustrated with spotty (theoretically quarterly IIRC) delivery and high relative cost. I just checked the website and am tempted to try again.

used to get that, too, and didn’t know it is still extant. May take another look.

Saveur was losing money. They had to cut staff just to stay afloat. It wasn’t so much a change in editorial philosophy as a business struggling to not die.

I can’t find anything to replace it.

I really like Milk Street. The magazine though small seems to focus on things that I know little about, middle eastern, central American and less obvious regions of Europe.The recent in depth look at Paella was pretty good as well.

So the 25th anniversary just arrived and the original staff (Andrews, Hirscheimer, Kalins) contributed pieces, and they have changed EiC yet again.

It seems like they see that the reputation of the magazine is at stake, and they’re trying to do something about it.

Sarah Gray Miller the new EiC has revived the Saveur 100 issue, out this week.

The magazine seems to have recovered some of it’s former verve, especially in light of the pandemic. It will be interesting to see if they can maintain the trend. It is a publication I sincerely miss, and the last few years were abysmal.