Really expensive Cast Iron Skillets

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Dave English
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Really expensive Cast Iron Skillets

#51 Post by Dave English » August 23rd, 2019, 6:53 pm

I've got one of the wrought iron ones, one thing I like about it, is the weight. It is way lighter than my Lodges and so much easier to work with, the long handle makes it much easier with tea towel in hand (as the handle still gets hot!) to flip, pour etc.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Josh Grossman » August 27th, 2019, 11:09 am

Received my Darto order from DHS today. Opened the box and one of the pans has a large drill hole in the bottom. I've emailed them that I need a replacement so here is hoping they have good customer service. The rest of them I have seasoning now:
Attachments
IMG_6222.jpg
IMG_6224.jpg

Nathan V.

#53 Post by Nathan V. » August 27th, 2019, 11:35 am

Josh Grossman wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 11:09 am
Received my Darto order from DHS today. Opened the box and one of the pans has a large drill hole in the bottom. I've emailed them that I need a replacement so here is hoping they have good customer service. The rest of them I have seasoning now:
Yikes! Did they ever send you a tracking number? I got the email that it would be shipping and that a tracking number was eminent but have yet to receive that email.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Josh Grossman » August 27th, 2019, 11:46 am

Nathan V. wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 11:35 am
Josh Grossman wrote:
Yikes! Did they ever send you a tracking number? I got the email that it would be shipping and that a tracking number was eminent but have yet to receive that email.
DHL did once it came through customs.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#55 Post by c fu » August 27th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Josh Grossman wrote:
no worries, just get a good coat on it and it'll seal right over.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Alan Rath » August 27th, 2019, 4:41 pm

c fu wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 1:54 pm
Josh Grossman wrote:
no worries, just get a good coat on it and it'll seal right over.
Ooh! That's the very desirable self-draining model. Lucky bastard.

How the hell does something like that get out of a factory?
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Jeff Rosenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Jeff Rosenberg » August 28th, 2019, 9:02 am

Josh Grossman wrote:
How does that pass quality control? Amazing.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Josh Grossman » August 28th, 2019, 9:08 am

Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 9:02 am
Josh Grossman wrote:
Got an email back that said:
It is unacceptable, we will send you a new one next week,

Truly surprise about that.

Best regards,

Nicolas
So, I'm a happy customer.

Nathan V.

#59 Post by Nathan V. » September 23rd, 2019, 1:29 pm

Josh Grossman wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 9:08 am
Jeff Rosenberg wrote:
Josh Grossman wrote:

Best regards,

Nicolas
How did this resolve. Mine showed up today and the packaging was all beat up. The pans look OK, but not great and seem gooey from some sort of coating. I assume they'll be fine, I mean, they're pressed iron.

I can't find any particulars on the site regarding seasoning, so should I just treat like cast iron? Did anyone else have the sticky coating like stuff?

TIA.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Josh Grossman » September 23rd, 2019, 2:22 pm

Nathan V. wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 1:29 pm
Josh Grossman wrote:
August 28th, 2019, 9:08 am
Jeff Rosenberg wrote:

Best regards,

Nicolas
How did this resolve. Mine showed up today and the packaging was all beat up. The pans look OK, but not great and seem gooey from some sort of coating. I assume they'll be fine, I mean, they're pressed iron.

I can't find any particulars on the site regarding seasoning, so should I just treat like cast iron? Did anyone else have the sticky coating like stuff?

TIA.
They said they are sending a new one but no word yet. Thanks for the reminder. The gooey stuff is just food grade wax so it doesn't rust. It needs removed though before you season it.

ryancurry
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#61 Post by ryancurry » September 23rd, 2019, 3:00 pm

Just received my pans. Looking rather beat up.

What is the most effective way to remove the wax? It's on everything including the handles.
itb

Nathan V.

#62 Post by Nathan V. » September 23rd, 2019, 4:28 pm

ryancurry wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 3:00 pm

What is the most effective way to remove the wax? It's on everything including the handles.
Yeah, mine were beat up as hell. Even showing a little rust which I think happened because the wax was probably rubbed off. I got 4 pans, 2 n25 and 2 of the n27. They were stacked n25 inside of n27 inside a paper bag and then inside a box that busted open.

I'd love to know the most effective form of wax removal as well.

I'm not going to judge the product until I get it sorted out, but it looks like they were in over their heads with shipping to the US.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#63 Post by c fu » September 23rd, 2019, 9:31 pm

ryancurry wrote:

throw it in a hot oven and let it melt off, then scrub it off with steel wool or something.

hope mine arrives tmrw
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#64 Post by c fu » September 23rd, 2019, 9:32 pm

Nathan V. wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 4:28 pm
ryancurry wrote:

Yeah, mine were beat up as hell. Even showing a little rust which I think happened because the wax was probably rubbed off. I got 4 pans, 2 n25 and 2 of the n27. They were stacked n25 inside of n27 inside a paper bag and then inside a box that busted open.

I'd love to know the most effective form of wax removal as well.

I'm not going to judge the product until I get it sorted out, but it looks like they were in over their heads with shipping to the US.
Since you have rust you might as well do a vinegar/water solution and just scrub it to death. That'll get rid of your rust and your wax.

I thought they were seconds to begin with? So wouldn't be awesome looking.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by scamhi » September 24th, 2019, 11:42 am

Here are the DARTO instructions for seasoning
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

ryancurry
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#66 Post by ryancurry » September 24th, 2019, 11:54 am

scamhi wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 11:42 am

I tried washing with water and detergent. My pans were still really sticky. I'm thinking about running them through a cleaning cycle in the over to burn it all off.
itb

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Josh Grossman » September 24th, 2019, 12:52 pm

ryancurry wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 11:54 am
scamhi wrote:

I tried washing with water and detergent. My pans were still really sticky. I'm thinking about running them through a cleaning cycle in the over to burn it all off.
I used steel scratch pads and soapy hot water and it worked great. Their video has too much oil IMO. Do that-then rub it again with a dry towel so it looks dry. If you can see oil--it will be sticky and not smooth when you are done. It's steel so you aren't going to hurt it. You can take an angle grinder to it if you want (just not a drill press).

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by scamhi » September 24th, 2019, 2:57 pm

ryancurry wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 11:54 am
scamhi wrote:

you can also try using barkeepers friend or a metal cleaner- just wash and dry really well before starting the seasoning.
My pans ordered 8/1 were just shipped today.
S u z a n n e C a m h i

Nathan V.

#69 Post by Nathan V. » September 28th, 2019, 9:13 am

Like Charlie said, vinegar + water does the trick (should've just channeled my grandma).

Why wouldn't you just cure it in the oven like a normal cast iron?
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#70 Post by c fu » September 28th, 2019, 10:49 pm

Nathan V. wrote:
September 28th, 2019, 9:13 am
Like Charlie said, vinegar + water does the trick (should've just channeled my grandma).

Mine is currently on cycle 3 in the oven for seasoning. Not sure how you get the handles black by using the stove top.

I just used steel wool + dish soap + heavy scrubbing after letting them sit in a warm oven for 30 minutes to soften the gunk.

I didn't bother with getting rid of the brown marks that you couldn't feel texture wise. Guess I could have used Barkeepers friend, but I figured the pan would get so dark you wouldn't even see it
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Nathan V.

#71 Post by Nathan V. » September 29th, 2019, 8:19 am

c fu wrote:
September 28th, 2019, 10:49 pm
Nathan V. wrote:
September 28th, 2019, 9:13 am

Mine is currently on cycle 3 in the oven for seasoning. Not sure how you get the handles black by using the stove top.

I just used steel wool + dish soap + heavy scrubbing after letting them sit in a warm oven for 30 minutes to soften the gunk.

I didn't bother with getting rid of the brown marks that you couldn't feel texture wise. Guess I could have used Barkeepers friend, but I figured the pan would get so dark you wouldn't even see it
Vinegar and a lot of elbow grease (again, the solution to almost everything according to my grandma) took care of the brown marks.. I've only been through one cycle in the oven. Interestingly, I found gashes and imperfections that didn't appear on visual inspection with the gunk or even cleaned and oiled prior to going in the oven. I may take one out for a spin this evening on a Flannery steak.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by scamhi » September 29th, 2019, 9:21 am

Here are my 2 pans done on the stove top. 10 coatings each. I did pan cook burgers in the top pan last night.

and the other one. both done exactly the same number of coatings

S u z a n n e C a m h i

Jim Brennan

#73 Post by Jim Brennan » September 29th, 2019, 9:53 am

If the iron is sourced from old 19th century dreadnaughts, I'm in. I've heard those provide the best sear. Gotta run now, I hear Riedel has a new plavac noir glass I need to order asap!
[wink.gif]

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Alan Rath » September 29th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Has anyone tried seasoning on the (covered) grill outdoors to avoid any off-odors in the house?
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#75 Post by c fu » September 29th, 2019, 7:38 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 2:47 pm
Has anyone tried seasoning on the (covered) grill outdoors to avoid any off-odors in the house?
As long as you can control your heat that’s fine. Otherwise you’ll burn off the seasoning
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

ryancurry
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#76 Post by ryancurry » October 4th, 2019, 10:21 am

Mine are in the oven on their 5th round of seasoning. I got all the gunk off of them with bar keepers friend and some elbow grease. Looking forward to using them! My stargazer pans are finally in route after a hiccup on their end. Going to have a serious quiver to choose from.
itb

Rick Bollig
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Rick Bollig » November 5th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Brian King wrote:
June 10th, 2019, 1:05 pm
I love these pans. I will say however that they've gotten ridiculously difficult to buy. The last few sales I've put on my calendar, logged in @ EXACTLY the appointed time, gotten a pan into my cart - but had them sell out before I could complete the transaction. Until things low down not sure I'l buy another (but I also have 3 already, so no real urgency either).
Well, they have a lottery now, 1st Sunday of each month. I entered for the first time Sunday and just got an e-mail that I was selected! I can buy up to three pans, but I have no idea what to get. Maybe a 13” and an 8” French skillet. I have two days to decide, and they will be delivered in six weeks. They are actually carbon steel, and are not inexpensive.

GregT

#78 Post by GregT » November 10th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Alan Rath wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 2:47 pm
People get all worked up over "seasoning". They should stop thinking about it. Just use the pan. You won't get off-odors. If you have a wax coating, heat up the pan and wipe the wax off. Then you can use Comet, Brillo, or sandpaper to clean the pan down to the metal.

Then just heat it up with a little bit of oil or butter or whatever - you can just wipe it on and act like you're going to use the pan. If your pan is rusty, sand it down until the iron is nice and silvery. If you get a Lodge or any of the modern pans where they don't sand them, you can do the same thing - use a grinder or disc sander or lots of elbow grease to give yourself a nice smooth surface. It probably doesn't matter, but I like it more. Any food you cook will carbonize, polymerize, and stick to the pan.

You really don't need to go through any other steps like putting the pans in the oven or anything else. People have used cast iron for generations. They didn't worry about "seasoning". They just used the pans.

And don't be afraid to wash them with soap and water. That's another of those myths that has no basis in reality. You can use a scouring pad and dish detergent whenever you need to. Over the past forty years I've seasoned and re-seasoned the same pans whenever I needed to. Usually just by using them. You can put them outside on your campfire or on or in your grill. You're not going to hurt them. They're the toughest cooking items you have - they're not delicate and neither is the seasoning.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Return to “Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes”