Grünkohl makes the big time. NYT

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

Grünkohl makes the big time. NYT

#1 Post by Henry Kiichli » February 26th, 2019, 10:29 am

Where Kale Is King (at Least, When It’s Stewed in Schmaltz and Bacon) https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/26/worl ... tival.html

Ha! Our little corner of the map and local pride!
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

Corey N.

Re: Grünkohl makes the big time. NYT

#2 Post by Corey N. » February 26th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Does one actually say congratulations to another for having access to...kale?
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Henry Kiichli » February 27th, 2019, 12:40 am

Hi Corey,

I just got a charge out of seeing this in the NYT. I know many of the pix, and I know the market. Also, my Brother and SIL (from Chicago) love this stuff (as done here), and were here over Christmas. We all got down to the last day of the Christmas market to have our glühwein and heaping plates of grünkohl, kasseler, kochwurst, and pinkel.
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

Corey N.

#4 Post by Corey N. » February 27th, 2019, 6:30 am

Henry Kiichli wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 12:40 am
Hi Corey,

I just got a charge out of seeing this in the NYT. I know many of the pix, and I know the market. Also, my Brother and SIL (from Chicago) love this stuff (as done here), and were here over Christmas. We all got down to the last day of the Christmas market to have our glühwein and heaping plates of grünkohl, kasseler, kochwurst, and pinkel.
Apologies --i probably should have placed a smiley after my reply to your initial post, but I'm allergic to emoticons.

I understand why you posted the article and certainly I got a charge from reading it. Thank you for providing that little glimpse into your world.

That said, I don't think that I could ever be excited about kale, no matter the preparation. <Insert smiley emoticon>

Nøv¡¢k

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by David K o l i n » February 27th, 2019, 7:54 am

Henry Kiichli wrote:
Hi Corey,

If you were to drink the gluwein at the Christkindlemarkt in Chicago (Sorry, no umlaut on my keyboard), you would forever be remembered as a very brave man

Corey N.

#6 Post by Corey N. » February 27th, 2019, 12:00 pm

David K o l i n wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 7:54 am
Henry Kiichli wrote:
Hi Corey,

If you were to drink the gluwein at the Christkindlemarkt in Chicago (Sorry, no umlaut on my keyboard), you would forever be remembered as a very brave man
I work a block from the Christkindlemarkt, so I pass it semi-regularly in the winter. I do not see the appeal. I don't like people much and the idea of standing elbow to elbow with a bunch of folks who I don't know, while freezing, holds no appeal.

Nøv¡¢k

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”