French Laundry reservation tips/tricks?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

French Laundry reservation tips/tricks?

#1 Post by Nate Simon » February 24th, 2019, 4:35 pm

This is one of those “asking for a friend“ threads, except I am ACTUALLY asking for a friend! Haven’t eaten there in a few years, and a colleague was asking for tips on getting a reservation, which he has so far been unable to do. Any advice appreciated.

PeterJ

Re: French Laundry reservation tips/tricks?

#2 Post by PeterJ » February 24th, 2019, 5:40 pm

Hopefully you’ll get some insider info on this here. When we went, several years ago, I used re-dial on two phones simultaneously starting at their posted start time and day for when I wanted to go. It took three days and maybe 4 hours total to get our res.

You might direct your friend here though: https://www.chowhound.com/post/reservat ... ry-1049485

It’s a foodie board with a dedicated page for trading in FL reservations.
Peter J@ckel

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by George Hejna » February 25th, 2019, 9:43 am

FL - reservations are advance purchase tickets through Tock now.

https://www.exploretock.com/tfl/

George

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Eric Ifune » February 26th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Don't know if this still applies, but several years ago, I was able to call up a day beforehand to see if anyone had cancelled. Was able to secure a table.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by George Hejna » February 26th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Eric Ifune wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 2:16 pm
Don't know if this still applies, but several years ago, I was able to call up a day beforehand to see if anyone had cancelled. Was able to secure a table.
There is a waiting list via the tock website.

George

T@ntina A

#6 Post by T@ntina A » March 12th, 2019, 7:15 am

They changed their process last year. When I went a couple of years ago - I called directly and I asked to be put on the waiting list in case anyone cancels (this was 2 weeks out). We ended up getting reservations during the week. The trick is you MUST answer your phone when they call you, otherwise they go on to the next person. I actually missed the first call and then got put on the list again. The second time around I literally guarded my phone and had someone ready to answer even if I was in the shower.

I know their process changed, but if there is any portion of the process where they need to call you back be prepared. I don't know if they still do a waiting list in case someone cancels? But if they do that is a good idea if you couldn't get reservations through the other methods.

richard ritter

#7 Post by richard ritter » March 13th, 2019, 6:20 am

Used top be able to have the concierge book it if staying at Meadowood or Auberge du Soleil

Russell Faulkner

#8 Post by Russell Faulkner » March 13th, 2019, 6:29 am

Or the St regis San Francisco. They sorted it for us. But that was 2007!

Stan Y.

#9 Post by Stan Y. » March 13th, 2019, 6:32 am

This isn't particularly helpful advice, but the more I eat out at best-of-best places the less tolerance I have for impossible reservations; for example I worked really hard unsuccessfully to get to n/naka last time I was out in LA and now have just about zero interest in eating there now, regardless of how good it is.
S. Y @ t € s

saul_cooperstein

#10 Post by saul_cooperstein » March 13th, 2019, 12:07 pm

I think with party of 6+ you may be able to book through private dining instead of general reservations. As I remember this is more expensive option but gives much greater control on reservations and menu size. I did this many many years ago and was able to book 6 months out instead of 2 and also get a 17+ course menu instead of normal 12 or so...

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”