Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Attn NYC residents

#1 Post by Jay Miller » February 7th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Just got this email warning

URGENT ACTION NEEDED!
NYC Council Member Carlina Rivera has introduced a bill (Intro. 1378) that would ban the sale of foie gras in New York City. This bill unfairly targets well regulated, USDA inspected family farms; limits food choice for New Yorkers; and endangers the livelihoods of hundreds of hard working farmers and their families. We need your help to fight this ban.

If you live or work in NYC, or know anyone who loves food choice and foie gras, please use the link below or forward to friends.

The link will connect you with an easy form to email to the NYC City Council.

https://foodchoicenyc.org/

Please help us save foie gras today!!!!

Copyright © 2019 Hudson Valley Foie Gras, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in on our website, through social media or at th
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

B Thorne
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Attn NYC residents

#2 Post by B Thorne » February 10th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Why would they even do this? Seems strange. Maybe im missing something.
B r i a n

ybarselah

#3 Post by ybarselah » February 10th, 2019, 6:35 pm

i (barely) live in her district - or rather, she is my rep.
Yaacov (ITB)

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Randy Bowman » February 10th, 2019, 7:00 pm

In today's political environment nobody should be surprised. Keep an eye on CA. They ban everything before anybody else can. CA will be vegan by 2030 and won't exist past 2035 if a politician is convinced, well maybe only thinks, plants have feelings including pain.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Jay Miller » February 11th, 2019, 9:01 am

B Thorne wrote:
February 10th, 2019, 5:46 pm
remember, part of deBlasio's platform when he ran for mayor was to ban carriage horses. thankfully he failed, hopefully this will fail as well.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

B Thorne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by B Thorne » February 11th, 2019, 9:33 am

Jay Miller wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 9:01 am
B Thorne wrote:
remember, part of deBlasio's platform when he ran for mayor was to ban carriage horses. thankfully he failed, hopefully this will fail as well.
Banning the carriage horses would be a net positive for the City. Those horses look terrible & the operators are a long-shot from what was intended for a “carriage-operator”. They’re a nusance.

Foie gras though? What gives?
B r i a n

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Michael Sopher » February 11th, 2019, 11:09 am

B Thorne wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 9:33 am
Jay Miller wrote:
B Thorne wrote:
Banning the carriage horses would be a net positive for the City. Those horses look terrible & the operators are a long-shot from what was intended for a “carriage-operator”. They’re a nusance.

It is rich people food... only eaten in penthouses on Billionaire's row.. easy to point at... hey Jeff Bezos and his 25,000 jobs and net tax inflows despite the tax incentives is evil and bad for NY in some quarters..

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by mmarcellus » February 11th, 2019, 11:45 am

B Thorne wrote:
Jay Miller wrote:
B Thorne wrote:

The argument is that the traditional method of raising the geese who produce the foie gras (including forced feeding) is inhumane.
M @ r k

B Thorne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by B Thorne » February 11th, 2019, 4:32 pm

mmarcellus wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 11:45 am
B Thorne wrote:
Jay Miller wrote:

The argument is that the traditional method of raising the geese who produce the foie gras (including forced feeding) is inhumane.
and we're turning a blind eye to the massive amount of steroids fed to livestock in order to produce $1 hamburgers?

..or to the dairy 'farms' that give rise to the famous NY $1 pizza slice?

I dont even eat foie gras, nor am I particularly passionate about it, but come on.
B r i a n

mmarcellus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by mmarcellus » February 11th, 2019, 5:12 pm

B Thorne wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 4:32 pm
mmarcellus wrote:
February 11th, 2019, 11:45 am
and we're turning a blind eye to the massive amount of steroids fed to livestock in order to produce $1 hamburgers?

..or to the dairy 'farms' that give rise to the famous NY $1 pizza slice?

I dont even eat foie gras, nor am I particularly passionate about it, but come on.
I'm avoiding the merits of their positions (or lack thereof), because that road would quickly lead us to the Politics ghetto. However, I am sure that the people behind this are equally passionate about the other issues you raise - even the ones who aren't part of the "meat is murder" contingent. But the argument against foie gras is, on the surface, an easier political argument for them to advance at this point in time.
M @ r k

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by David K o l i n » February 11th, 2019, 5:31 pm

We had a ban in Chicago. Everyone ignored it. Then we didn’t.

Good luck to you folks
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” T. Roosevelt

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." J. Goebbels (reprised by D Trump)

Steve Manzi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Steve Manzi » February 11th, 2019, 5:35 pm

B Thorne wrote:
Jay Miller wrote:
B Thorne wrote:
Banning the carriage horses would be a net positive for the City. Those horses look terrible & the operators are a long-shot from what was intended for a “carriage-operator”. They’re a nuisance..........

Completely agree. I am always disgusted by how they look. There is NO reason that they cannot be fat, happy, well groomed and treated like gold. But instead thane all look like sad sacks, and half are lame too. It is criminal.

"The ignorance of one voter in a Democracy impairs the security of all" ~ John F. Kennedy

Victor Hong

#13 Post by Victor Hong » February 12th, 2019, 5:11 am

Ban leather shoes.
WineHunter.

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by cjsavino » February 13th, 2019, 4:12 am

F622E84E-E46B-4834-92E2-ED156FAC2342.jpeg
Chris