Flannery - extended aging question.

Tried searching but haven’t found much on this.

Anyone tried Flannery stuff that was extended aged?

Like. 60, 70, even close to 80 days?

If you have. Is the funk overwhelming? Does the flavor intensity makes it worthwhile?
Anyone do a side by side of that vs the regular snee York strip which is 30 days or so?

I’d be really interested in answers to this too… I was really close to pulling the trigger on those for BDiX, but couldn’t quite justify it to myself. Kind of hoping for a second chance this year.

Have had the 60 days a few times, awesome stuff imho.

Haven’t had it from Flannery but have tried 60-70 day aged quite a few times.

I don’t think it’s such a step change that someone would find it overwhelming vs a 30-40 day example. There is a much more nuanced flavour that persists for much longer. I honestly find it richer, so have tended to be satisfied with less of it.

I’ve had the 60 day multiple times and keep going back.

There is a textural change that takes place that I enjoy. I agree with Julian.

We sous vide and have done comparative tasting: the 60 day age looks more grey at 128 degrees, but it still a lovely medium rare. So, be prepared for a different look.

The texture is more homogeneous, the fat characteristics are more savory (some guests preferred the 30 day versions, some the 60 days.)

Definitely a “go for it” thing to try!

count me as a 35-42 day Flannery fan. The older stuff is too gamey.

This to me is the sweet spot.

52 days is what I like the most.

Texture suffers at extended aging and the flavor does get a bit rough occasionally.

Of course everyone needs to try various aging profiles on various cuts to make an informed decision. I do however recommend not falling for group think and believe that longer is better.

Let’s say you have the choice of a pack of
21/28/35/42/49 day aged. Vs
56/63/70/77/84 day aged.

Are the 70+ too gamey?

I think I tried a 60 day once and found it gamey too.

Hmmmm. Tough call.
Ok thanks everyone.

Would say 70+ is too much? I’ve never even seen beef that aged. :joy::joy:

For me, yes, too much.

I don’t think it is a tough call at all, especially when your experience is that 60 is too gamey.
If presented those two choices I would only consider the “younger” pack.

I’ve had 60 day and liked it but assuming I was was eating Flannery on a regular basis (not going to happen unless I stop buying wine) I’d want it to be relatively small portion of my beef consumption.

In other words I’d like it every once in a while but not on a regular basis.

This is close to our preference as well. I love the 60 day strips and ribeyes, but want less of it. For the two or two and half of us, we usually cook one of the regular and one 60 day steaks to share and that works great for me. Oscar, my stepson (the “half”) who is 9, likes the 60 day better. I also like the texture at 60 days, though not always at more than that. I would never, ever sous vide a good steak, so I can’t comment on how the age difference impacts that preparation method.

We often do the same!

Fun to taste side by side!

I do know that they made specific decisions about which cuts to age. For example, I bought some American Wagyu strips and, when I asked for some that were around 30 days, was told that they did some experiments and the kobe really wasn’t as good beyond 20 days, so they didn’t even offer it. Doesn’t really address Mark’s questions, but I found it interesting (and awesome). In other words, they wouldn’t sell it if it was way too far over-the-top gaminess because it’s apparent they test the products and won’t offer what they don’t feel is good.

Im talking about… theoretically… new
York strips. Good to know thanks everyone.
Looks like I’ll go for younger… theoretically.

Is this a secret?

I know there is a magical mystical day coming up.

I did a 60 day California Reserve 16 oz ribeye from BD 2016 tonight starting low in an oven and then seared in a cast iron skillet. It wasn’t that gamy, even in the fat where I generally find the flavor to be most pronounced. The extended dry aging showed more in an umami savoriness than a real gaminess. I don’t know whether I prefer it to the normal California Reserve but it is a very nice change of pace.

I went for the “older” pack as I have never had anything over 35 days, but am now reconsidering switching based on this thread. Should I stick with my original plan and try something new with the risk of over 50% possibly being too “different”?