Flannery - extended aging question.

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6859
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Flannery - extended aging question.

#1 Post by Mark Y » January 24th, 2019, 12:41 pm

Tried searching but haven’t found much on this.

Anyone tried Flannery stuff that was extended aged?

Like. 60, 70, even close to 80 days?

If you have. Is the funk overwhelming? Does the flavor intensity makes it worthwhile?
Anyone do a side by side of that vs the regular snee York strip which is 30 days or so?
Y.e.

JYoung
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 676
Joined: August 3rd, 2012, 9:37 pm
Location: seattle

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#2 Post by JYoung » January 24th, 2019, 1:44 pm

I'd be really interested in answers to this too... I was really close to pulling the trigger on those for BDiX, but couldn't quite justify it to myself. Kind of hoping for a second chance this year.
jason

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19767
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#3 Post by AlexS » January 24th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Have had the 60 days a few times, awesome stuff imho.
s t e w @ r t

julianseersmartin
Posts: 337
Joined: February 27th, 2018, 10:16 am
Location: Santa Monica

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#4 Post by julianseersmartin » January 24th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Haven't had it from Flannery but have tried 60-70 day aged quite a few times.

I don't think it's such a step change that someone would find it overwhelming vs a 30-40 day example. There is a much more nuanced flavour that persists for much longer. I honestly find it richer, so have tended to be satisfied with less of it.

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 28397
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#5 Post by Anton D » January 24th, 2019, 3:46 pm

I've had the 60 day multiple times and keep going back.

There is a textural change that takes place that I enjoy. I agree with Julian.

We sous vide and have done comparative tasting: the 60 day age looks more grey at 128 degrees, but it still a lovely medium rare. So, be prepared for a different look.

The texture is more homogeneous, the fat characteristics are more savory (some guests preferred the 30 day versions, some the 60 days.)

Definitely a "go for it" thing to try!
Anton Dotson

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11472
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#6 Post by alan weinberg » January 24th, 2019, 4:48 pm

count me as a 35-42 day Flannery fan. The older stuff is too gamey.

User avatar
dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9789
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 4:19 pm

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#7 Post by dcornutt » January 24th, 2019, 5:06 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 4:48 pm
count me as a 35-42 day Flannery fan. The older stuff is too gamey.
This to me is the sweet spot.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

User avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
Posts: 22764
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 11:45 am

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#8 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » January 24th, 2019, 5:59 pm

52 days is what I like the most.

Texture suffers at extended aging and the flavor does get a bit rough occasionally.

Of course everyone needs to try various aging profiles on various cuts to make an informed decision. I do however recommend not falling for group think and believe that longer is better.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6859
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#9 Post by Mark Y » January 24th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Let’s say you have the choice of a pack of
21/28/35/42/49 day aged. Vs
56/63/70/77/84 day aged.

Are the 70+ too gamey?

I think I tried a 60 day once and found it gamey too.

Hmmmm. Tough call.
Ok thanks everyone.
Y.e.

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6859
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#10 Post by Mark Y » January 24th, 2019, 10:21 pm

Bill Tex Landreth wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 5:59 pm
52 days is what I like the most.

Texture suffers at extended aging and the flavor does get a bit rough occasionally.

Of course everyone needs to try various aging profiles on various cuts to make an informed decision. I do however recommend not falling for group think and believe that longer is better.
Would say 70+ is too much? I’ve never even seen beef that aged. 😂😂
Y.e.

User avatar
Bill Tex Landreth
Posts: 22764
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 11:45 am

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#11 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » January 25th, 2019, 5:37 am

For me, yes, too much.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

User avatar
ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1479
Joined: December 19th, 2009, 12:13 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#12 Post by ClarkstonMark » January 25th, 2019, 5:53 am

Mark Y wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 10:20 pm
Let’s say you have the choice of a pack of
21/28/35/42/49 day aged. Vs
56/63/70/77/84 day aged.

Are the 70+ too gamey?

I think I tried a 60 day once and found it gamey too.

Hmmmm. Tough call.
Ok thanks everyone.
I don't think it is a tough call at all, especially when your experience is that 60 is too gamey.
If presented those two choices I would only consider the "younger" pack.
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13617
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#13 Post by Jay Miller » January 25th, 2019, 6:56 am

I've had 60 day and liked it but assuming I was was eating Flannery on a regular basis (not going to happen unless I stop buying wine) I'd want it to be relatively small portion of my beef consumption.

In other words I'd like it every once in a while but not on a regular basis.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2384
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#14 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » January 25th, 2019, 11:58 am

Jay Miller wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 6:56 am
I've had 60 day and liked it but assuming I was was eating Flannery on a regular basis (not going to happen unless I stop buying wine) I'd want it to be relatively small portion of my beef consumption.

In other words I'd like it every once in a while but not on a regular basis.
This is close to our preference as well. I love the 60 day strips and ribeyes, but want less of it. For the two or two and half of us, we usually cook one of the regular and one 60 day steaks to share and that works great for me. Oscar, my stepson (the "half") who is 9, likes the 60 day better. I also like the texture at 60 days, though not always at more than that. I would never, ever sous vide a good steak, so I can't comment on how the age difference impacts that preparation method.

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 28397
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#15 Post by Anton D » January 25th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 11:58 am
Jay Miller wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 6:56 am
I've had 60 day and liked it but assuming I was was eating Flannery on a regular basis (not going to happen unless I stop buying wine) I'd want it to be relatively small portion of my beef consumption.

In other words I'd like it every once in a while but not on a regular basis.
This is close to our preference as well. I love the 60 day strips and ribeyes, but want less of it. For the two or two and half of us, we usually cook one of the regular and one 60 day steaks to share and that works great for me. Oscar, my stepson (the "half") who is 9, likes the 60 day better. I also like the texture at 60 days, though not always at more than that. I would never, ever sous vide a good steak, so I can't comment on how the age difference impacts that preparation method.
We often do the same!

Fun to taste side by side!
Anton Dotson

User avatar
Brandon R
Posts: 1092
Joined: November 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#16 Post by Brandon R » January 25th, 2019, 2:16 pm

I do know that they made specific decisions about which cuts to age. For example, I bought some American Wagyu strips and, when I asked for some that were around 30 days, was told that they did some experiments and the kobe really wasn't as good beyond 20 days, so they didn't even offer it. Doesn't really address Mark's questions, but I found it interesting (and awesome). In other words, they wouldn't sell it if it was way too far over-the-top gaminess because it's apparent they test the products and won't offer what they don't feel is good.
B. Redman

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6859
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#17 Post by Mark Y » January 25th, 2019, 3:05 pm

Im talking about... theoretically... new
York strips. Good to know thanks everyone.
Looks like I’ll go for younger... theoretically.
Y.e.

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 28397
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#18 Post by Anton D » January 25th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Mark Y wrote:
January 25th, 2019, 3:05 pm
Im talking about... theoretically... new
York strips. Good to know thanks everyone.
Looks like I’ll go for younger... theoretically.
Is this a secret?

I know there is a magical mystical day coming up.
Anton Dotson

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2891
Joined: January 30th, 2012, 9:22 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#19 Post by Mike Evans » January 26th, 2019, 4:52 pm

I did a 60 day California Reserve 16 oz ribeye from BD 2016 tonight starting low in an oven and then seared in a cast iron skillet. It wasn’t that gamy, even in the fat where I generally find the flavor to be most pronounced. The extended dry aging showed more in an umami savoriness than a real gaminess. I don’t know whether I prefer it to the normal California Reserve but it is a very nice change of pace.

User avatar
N. Justl
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 457
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 5:28 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#20 Post by N. Justl » January 26th, 2019, 5:03 pm

I went for the “older” pack as I have never had anything over 35 days, but am now reconsidering switching based on this thread. Should I stick with my original plan and try something new with the risk of over 50% possibly being too “different”?
Nick

User avatar
Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 28397
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
Location: Chico, CA

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#21 Post by Anton D » January 26th, 2019, 5:27 pm

I went for the Midlife Crisis and look forward to comparing!

Nick, I think you went the right way! Just be sure the older steaks barely make it to medium rare at most. They seem to pick up temperature more quickly, to me.
Anton Dotson

User avatar
Brandon R
Posts: 1092
Joined: November 10th, 2015, 5:07 pm

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#22 Post by Brandon R » January 27th, 2019, 8:20 am

I agree with Anton. Stick with what you got...most likely, you'll be happy. Variety is the spice of life, right?
B. Redman

User avatar
N. Justl
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 457
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 5:28 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#23 Post by N. Justl » January 27th, 2019, 8:24 am

Thanks for the input. I will stick with the older package. Will be fun to try, and where else can you buy (let alone get a good deal) 84 day aged steaks?
Nick

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11472
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Flannery - extended aging question.

#24 Post by alan weinberg » January 28th, 2019, 9:59 am

Very aged steak: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... on-gourmet
and 459 day aged: https://escapehatchdallas.com/2014/06/d ... -its-gone/

“Controlled decomposition,” it’s called.

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”