Coho Salmon & Asparagus with Volnay

Tonight’s dinner was wild Coho Salmon, seasoned with Key Lime Pepper, lemon juice, Onion Powder, and Tarragon and pan-grilled in a little Meyer Lemon-infused olive oil. Veggie was asparagus steamed and finished with garlic, sea salt, black pepper, and Tuscan EVOO. The pan was also de-glazed with a little lemon juice. The Coho wasn’t as richly flavored as King or Sockeye, but was still quite tasty with a 2002 Marquis d’Angerville Volnay Champans - bright, clear ruby in color; rich complex nose and flavors of spicy red and black fruits; balanced fruity mid-palate with good acidity; and a long, rich fruity finish. The Volnay was opened about 45 minutes before dinner and poured into Riedel Sommelier Grand Bourgognes about a half hour before dinner was served. That, after bringing it up from the cellar about three hours before dinner, was just right for openness and temperature. A delightful meal on a very Spring-like day.

Then for dessert we had the end of a bottle of an South African KMV Tawny Port with chocolates while watching a few TiVo’d shows. The port was a lot better this time than the first time we had it.

Salmon from WF? They had some gorgeous salmon down here on Thurs. i didn’t buy, having a steak from Flannery already defrosted but the salmon looked good…

Dick,

Another enjoyable food/wine read! Sounds yummy since I had cereal for dinner, boring…

The last time I had the 2002 d’Angerville Champans which was last year it closed up with air time sounds like your bottle was pretty open!

Leah

No, I didn’t get the salmon from WF. Here, theirs is mostly farmed. I got this at Marketplace/La Montanita Co-Op, the same place I got the catfish a couple days ago. They’ve been having some pretty good fish lately.

Leah,

Ours opened up very nicely, it also was a good temperature. The large Riedels also help get the aromas going.

Down here they listed it as wild caught… gorgeous color that I don’t see with farmed…