Foie gras ban in California

I guess the Supreme Court decided they didn’t like foie gras and banned it in California. I visited a farm in France and when the gavage (forced feeding) started, the geese literally ran into barn to be fed. Their life on that farm was idyllic as it could be; as opposed to the Harris Ranch farm along interstate 5 in the middle of California where 100’s of cattle are walking around in the mud and who knows what else. Don’t even think about driving by there with your windows down.

I don’t ever order foie gras, but it is no different than any other animals which are raised for food. Just silly.

Supreme Court did not ban it, the just declined to hear a case appealing a lower court ruling that upheld a California law banning the sale and production in California. I don’t agree the the ban, but California banned it.

The Harris Ranch aroma was called the money smell by one of our neighbors back home.

-Al

is foie gone again in CA?

If you put a gun to my head and asked me what my favorite food was I would answer seared foie. It takes 2 minutes to prepare and it’s sofa king awesome.

I have no desire to eat Foie gras, goose, fish or Brussels sprouts but banning it is BS and of course, it’s CA leading the way.

Yep. Right next to truffles and waygu :slight_smile: And if you want to do it on the cheap the cubes (grade A trimmings/ends) at D’Artagnan are a great way to go. Right now in fact they are on sale for $28/lb

This is old news. Idiotic news, but old.

Though now I’m curious, can you mail order foie from out of state?

It’s not old news. The Supreme Court decision was announced yesterday.

When foie gras is outlawed, only outlaws will have foie gras.

I’m trying to picture that.

PERFECT.

I leave Paris in the early morning, guess I should bring back extra.

you crack me up !

Is the ban on ALL foie gras, or just the sale of it? I was at one unnamed dinner where the restaurant surprisingly provided the foie at no charge–they thought that was getting around the ban.

Would this be possession with the intent to distribute?

Possession is fine, production and sale are banned. As far as “free” Foie, that hasn’t been tested in court and some restaurants were picketed a few years back.

-Al

First they came for the Foie, and I did not speak out…

[wow.gif]

I remember the “free” foil angle. Not sure about actual courts, but L.A. authorities announced that the angle wasn’t legal and establishments could be prosecuted so, between that and potential protest, the few places that tried it stopped.

You could, but you might get a knock on the door from Nancy Pelosi and the Foie gras Police. [tease.gif]

Pelosi doesn’t sweat petty California stuff like that, since she is at the federal level. And it was a Republican who signed the fois gras ban bill.