Maris Piper potatoes.....roger

Since a trip to London last year and some insights into why their chips (french fries) are so great, I think it has mostly to do with the potatoes they favor for them: maris piper.

So, I wanted to try them, as french fries are up there with pizza in the holy grail of cooking.

Anyone know where to obtain maris pipers in the US…??

I’ve searched locally, on Amazon and Whole Foods’ website, with no luck and even called a potato farm in Maine.

Has anyone made fries with them…or otherwise used them?

ask her: Maris Piper - Late-Season Potatoes - The Maine Potato Lady

Great minds think alike, Alan. Except I already spoke to them-- last week. They do not sell potatoes; only seedlings; and no longer roger maris’ kind.

bummer. Shouldn’t be hard to grow ‘taters if you have seedlings.

[rofl.gif] should I tear up my front yard…or the back…?

I don’t think growing them is an option…especially to determine whether it’s them or something else that makes English chips so good.

One of those oddities. Maris Piper is so highly regarded by many chefs, doesn’t make sense someone wouldn’t try to grow it in a suitable climate in N.A.

What would be considered closest equivalent? I keep seeing references to them in Uk recipes.

I rarely make proper chips (no deep fryer) for my fake fries (oven roasted at 2 temps) I use Yukon Gold , and for mash a mix of Russet “baking pots”) and YG.

Well, the recipes all say “russets” are the best substitute…starchier than the yukon gold. I tried them since, and the “chips” were really good. I won’t give up finding the real Maris Pipers, though. (Trying to persuade a farmer I know in Lancaster County PA, who is interested. He bought his seeds for this year last fall, though…so…not this year, he said.

Not the Maris Piper but some $ potatoes -

https://www.greatbigstory.com/stories/the-caviar-of-potatoes/?xrs=CNNHP

Another option - Beatrix restaurant here (casual but good place near my old office) makes their fries – and a potato salad stuffed deviled egg - with Kennebec potatoes and they are really good. Just such clear potato flavor … really extra good.

I’ll ask my SIL if he knows a Maris Pipers source - he sources for restaurants where he works.

One point we should probably clarify about English Chips is whether we mean basic chippie version or triple cooked fries per the Wizard of Bray.
Not sure if the starch requirements are quite the same, but I’m no chemist.

Anyone find these?

Stuart and Alan,

This place will have them starting mid august through next spring. They source from Washington State. Not sure about the supply.

very cool, Don, thanks.

And, FWIW, some seeds I ordered in June…and am still waiting to receive…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M93H9SF/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And, FWIW, I ordered some seeds on Amazon, and am waiting to receive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M93H9SF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just had very good fish n’ chips in Edinburgh made with Maris Piper potatoes. Excellent flavor, though execution was not perfect. Not the fault of the potato. When I saw the menu naming potato type, I immediately remembered this thread.

When I saw this name I was intrigued that the name was so similar to a barley variety grown in the UK, Maris Otter. Turns out they were both bred at the Plant Breeding Institute in the UK located on Maris Lane…

FWIW, I ordered some seeds on Amazon a couple of months ago. I still haven’t gotten them and wrote to the vendor this week. They told me they have been delayed by customs (although that sounds a little fishy). I hadn’t realized that products from England are now routed through Mexico to the US. I guess they are “immigrants” as no one grows them here.

I’m trying to get a Lancaster County farmer I know to grow them, if I ever get them.

I used to think that Yukon golds were an equivalent, but the starch levels in the MP are more akin to Russets.

For some applications of mashed potatoes I use a mix of Yukon Gold and ‘baking potatoes’ which are allegedly russets except they are rather large. (Not the foil wrapped ones, the loose baking potatoes that seem fairly standard in different stores here in Ontario
). That works well.
Still experimenting on the triple cooked fries.