Best holiday food . . .

I offer you potato latkes. Fried potatoes, fried onions and friend egg. What more could you want? The only thing they are missing is bacon, but nothing is perfect. A couple of years ago, I made a batch fried in duck fat, which was a taste experience not to forget. I made about 80 of them last night in corn oil to freeze for a family party next Saturday night.

Great with Champagne.Happy Chanukah.

I came really close to cooking them in bacon fat yesterday, but settled for a blend of olive and grape seed oils

Totally agree! The smell of latkas frying brings back the happiest childhood memories for me. Making a batch later today.

Leftovers? I sure I can find something good to bring over. [cheers.gif]

I was going to ask, “you mean other than latkes?”, but your answer is correct. Made about 60 this weekend for a dinner with friends, and will make another 60 or so next weekend for the same.

I bet they’d be good fried in foie gras fat.

[dance-clap.gif]

Consumed my fair share last night. Have also tried with some smoked salmon mixed in…very tasty, though need to balance with the salt.

I made a gluten free version using rice flour to absorb the extra liquid instead of matzoh meal. In order to tell them apart from the regular ones, I added some dried parsley, dried basil and finely chopped fresh rosemary to the batter so I could see the green flecks. I really liked the taste of those.

Any foolproof recipes? It has been a while since I made them, but I am now itching to have some good latkes!

They don’t come with bacon?

Sez who?

I started making these for my jewish FIL. With a robust whole grain mustard they are the bomb.

DUCK BACON ! [wow.gif]
D’Artagnan Uncured Smoked Duck Bacon: [wow.gif]

All-natural duck bacon from Moulard ducks, free-range and humanely raised, with no antibiotics or growth hormones. Duck breast rubbed with salt and sugar, and then smoked over real applewood chips for a tasty alternative to pork bacon. [cheers.gif]

What!? Mustard on latkes? Mustard goes on pastrami and corned beef. Sour cream (when a dairy meal) or applesauce (with a fleischik meal) is the correct pairing.

This was at the direction of my FIL so take it up with him, I would be glad to give you his phone number. I will warn you he grew up in Queens and spent 1970-1990 as NYPD in the Bronx. Colorful, is my go to euphemism.

You can make a pastrami sandwich subbing the latkes for rye bread, top with mustard. Best of all worlds.

Whoa.

Brisket is a whole lotta work, but damn if I don’t want to make that this weekend.

How about this use of latkes ? I say skip the eggs, add more lox, and add some raw red or sweet onion.
IMG_5943.JPG

Dude. Leviticus