Best holiday food . . .

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
J a y H a c k

Best holiday food . . .

#1 Post by J a y H a c k » December 3rd, 2018, 4:23 am

I offer you potato latkes. Fried potatoes, fried onions and friend egg. What more could you want? The only thing they are missing is bacon, but nothing is perfect. A couple of years ago, I made a batch fried in duck fat, which was a taste experience not to forget. I made about 80 of them last night in corn oil to freeze for a family party next Saturday night.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

Jim Friedman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Best holiday food . . .

#2 Post by Jim Friedman » December 3rd, 2018, 5:19 am

Great with Champagne.Happy Chanukah.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by David K o l i n » December 3rd, 2018, 5:24 am

I came really close to cooking them in bacon fat yesterday, but settled for a blend of olive and grape seed oils
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” T. Roosevelt

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." J. Goebbels (reprised by D Trump)

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#4 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » December 3rd, 2018, 5:41 am

Totally agree! The smell of latkas frying brings back the happiest childhood memories for me. Making a batch later today.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Dan Hammer » December 3rd, 2018, 7:00 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 4:23 am
I offer you potato latkes. Fried potatoes, fried onions and friend egg. What more could you want? The only thing they are missing is bacon, but nothing is perfect. A couple of years ago, I made a batch fried in duck fat, which was a taste experience not to forget. I made about 80 of them last night in corn oil to freeze for a family party next Saturday night.
Leftovers? I sure I can find something good to bring over. [cheers.gif]
This space for rent.

Adam Noble
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Adam Noble » December 3rd, 2018, 7:32 am

I was going to ask, "you mean other than latkes?", but your answer is correct. Made about 60 this weekend for a dinner with friends, and will make another 60 or so next weekend for the same.

TimF

#7 Post by TimF » December 3rd, 2018, 8:20 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
I bet they'd be good fried in foie gras fat.

https://www.hudsonvalleyfoiegras.com/in ... s-fat.html

[dance-clap.gif]
Tim F@itsch

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by adam landa » December 3rd, 2018, 12:13 pm

Consumed my fair share last night. Have also tried with some smoked salmon mixed in...very tasty, though need to balance with the salt.

J a y H a c k

#9 Post by J a y H a c k » December 3rd, 2018, 1:32 pm

adam landa wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 12:13 pm
Consumed my fair share last night. Have also tried with some smoked salmon mixed in...very tasty, though need to balance with the salt.
I made a gluten free version using rice flour to absorb the extra liquid instead of matzoh meal. In order to tell them apart from the regular ones, I added some dried parsley, dried basil and finely chopped fresh rosemary to the batter so I could see the green flecks. I really liked the taste of those.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Ron Slye » December 3rd, 2018, 2:24 pm

Any foolproof recipes? It has been a while since I made them, but I am now itching to have some good latkes!

Lee Short

#11 Post by Lee Short » December 3rd, 2018, 5:20 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
They don't come with bacon?

Sez who?

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Kenny H » December 3rd, 2018, 6:51 pm

I started making these for my jewish FIL. With a robust whole grain mustard they are the bomb.
H0eve!kamp

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by NED VALOIS » December 3rd, 2018, 8:30 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
DUCK BACON ! [wow.gif]
D'Artagnan Uncured Smoked Duck Bacon: [wow.gif]

All-natural duck bacon from Moulard ducks, free-range and humanely raised, with no antibiotics or growth hormones. Duck breast rubbed with salt and sugar, and then smoked over real applewood chips for a tasty alternative to pork bacon. [cheers.gif]

J a y H a c k

#14 Post by J a y H a c k » December 4th, 2018, 6:51 am

Kenny H wrote:
December 3rd, 2018, 6:51 pm
I started making these for my jewish FIL. With a robust whole grain mustard they are the bomb.
What!? Mustard on latkes? Mustard goes on pastrami and corned beef. Sour cream (when a dairy meal) or applesauce (with a fleischik meal) is the correct pairing.

Kenny H
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Kenny H » December 4th, 2018, 7:42 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 6:51 am
Kenny H wrote:
What!? Mustard on latkes? Mustard goes on pastrami and corned beef. Sour cream (when a dairy meal) or applesauce (with a fleischik meal) is the correct pairing.
This was at the direction of my FIL so take it up with him, I would be glad to give you his phone number. I will warn you he grew up in Queens and spent 1970-1990 as NYPD in the Bronx. Colorful, is my go to euphemism.
H0eve!kamp

Corey N.

#16 Post by Corey N. » December 4th, 2018, 7:55 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
Kenny H wrote:
You can make a pastrami sandwich subbing the latkes for rye bread, top with mustard. Best of all worlds.
Nøv¡¢k

Mike Evans
BerserkerDay All-Pro
BerserkerDay All-Pro

#17 Post by Mike Evans » December 4th, 2018, 8:28 am

Corey N. wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 7:55 am
J a y H a c k wrote:
Kenny H wrote:
You can make a pastrami sandwich subbing the latkes for rye bread, top with mustard. Best of all worlds.

Corey N.

#18 Post by Corey N. » December 4th, 2018, 8:42 am

Mike Evans wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 8:28 am
Whoa.

Brisket is a whole lotta work, but damn if I don't want to make that this weekend.
Nøv¡¢k

Bdklein

#19 Post by Bdklein » December 4th, 2018, 9:40 am

How about this use of latkes ? I say skip the eggs, add more lox, and add some raw red or sweet onion.
Attachments
IMG_5943.JPG
IMG_5943.JPG (33.45 KiB) Viewed 289 times
Bruce Klein

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by David K o l i n » December 4th, 2018, 11:09 am

Corey N. wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 8:42 am
Mike Evans wrote:
December 4th, 2018, 8:28 am
Whoa.

Brisket is a whole lotta work, but damn if I don't want to make that this weekend.
Dude. Leviticus
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” T. Roosevelt

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." J. Goebbels (reprised by D Trump)

J a y H a c k

#21 Post by J a y H a c k » December 4th, 2018, 5:44 pm

I smoked some home made pastrami to serve with the latkes. Cheese is easy, but we weren't big on gravy in my family. You needed butter, cream or milk so it didn't work with meat or poultry, so my mother never made it. Maybe I will give it a whirl. If my wife kills me, send donations to Laura's House.

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Eric LeVine » December 4th, 2018, 7:06 pm

J a y H a c k wrote:
Kenny H wrote:
Correct.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Robert Broder

#23 Post by Robert Broder » December 5th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Can't believe what I'm reading here. What happened to frying latkes in old fashioned schmaltz. Rendered chicken fat for the uninitiated. Side benefit is gribenes the Jewish equivalent of pork rinds except it is chicken skin cracklings in the rendering process. Duck fat probably ok, but poutine, yuk. Picture alone makes me nauseous.

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Ron Slye » December 5th, 2018, 8:21 pm

Robert Broder wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 3:44 pm
Can't believe what I'm reading here. What happened to frying latkes in old fashioned schmaltz. Rendered chicken fat for the uninitiated. Side benefit is gribenes the Jewish equivalent of pork rinds except it is chicken skin cracklings in the rendering process. Duck fat probably ok, but poutine, yuk. Picture alone makes me nauseous.
Yes, like you I am a bit more of a traditionalist with such things.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”