Mail Order Seafood Recommendations

I’m looking to gift a nice home cooked meal for my mom (88 y.o.) this season, for sometime in January.

My mom gave me my love of good food and cooking, so, I must deliver.

Yes, I could take her out to eat, but she lives on Long Island and I’ve had too many “meh” outcomes over the years at LI restaurants, and it is easier for her to have this at her home.

So - when asked a while back her favorite food that she considers a treat, and her brain nearly fried pondering the question, she responded with one word. “Scallops”

My mind was blown that she could actually narrow it down. [cheers.gif]

Unless there is a knock it out of the park sure thing restaurant within half an hour of Huntington, any recommendations for really really good mail order for sea food and in particular, scallops, and will I be missing the optimal part of the season?

I’m a decent chef, and would practice on so-so scallops before doing the real deal. Because I like scallops too. champagne.gif

And a big thanks in advance, and hello to all who I crossed paths with on these boards and at tastings years back, I’ve been too busy over the last few years to participate!

I have no personal experience but have heard good things about Browne Trading. Fresh Seafood - High Quality Fish - Buy Online Next Day Delivery

Browne Trading is very, very good. Also very, very expensive when you include shipping. They also make a lot of mistakes, in my experience, so always check orders carefully.

You might see if The Lobster Place in NYC will deliver to LI. Or consider picking up there and transporting yourself. While not as good as Brownw Trading, they are quite good and were my go to when I lived in NYC.

For a real treat try Joe’s Stone crabs.
You can have an entire meal delivered.
The stone crabs you eat cold. Thus nothing to cook.
Expensive but worth it.

The Lobster Place is where I buy my scallops - at least a couple of times a month. I’d be surprised if they didn’t deliver to LI.

Eataly’s scallops are hit or miss, but when they are good they are on par with the Lobster Place.

Have heard vitalchoice.com stuff is high quality. No direct wxperience

Thanks all - it seems like the Lobster Place is too easy to pass up, can stop there on a Saturday morning on my way out there - thank you!

A great source for retail seafood.

And Mercato is running a free delivery promo through the end of the year.

I would second Browne Trading as well as https://www.farm-2-market.com/ .

JD

it is of course scallop season until march here on long island
directly south of your mom, the lakehouse in bay shore does a great job with them
a call to the chef/owner would likely get you something special for her
m