SoCal between Laguna Beach and San Clemente

Hey peeps. Coming down to Dana Point for Falltacular and want to fly in a day early for a romantic Valentines Day dinner at a good restaurant with a nice beach/sunset view. Can I get some suggestions? TIA.

Marche Moderne

That’s the second suggestion I’ve gotten on this restaurant. Good sign!

Add another. Suzy and I would go every couple months or so as it was easily the best kitchen and service around. The old location the kitchen was open to the restaurant and I could smell when the garlic hit the pan. It was nirvana. The new location is at Crystal Cove which I have yet to visit.

My best server story was at Marché. We were seated next to a younger couple (mid 20s at most) and overheard when the waitress asked if they had any restrictions. It was vegan, gluten free, etc, as they giggled. My first thought, this is a high end traditional french restaurant, who do you think you are? Almost inevitably their main dish arrived and the disdain was palpable. This person had the chutzpah to explain to this very professional server that they were in the industry and knew that the dish was cold because the kitchen had let it sit around too long. So that was fired again and near as I could tell they reluctantly picked at the second version. They ordered espressos or some coffee thing for dessert and the waitress decimated them with charm. She arrives with the coffee and announces in the sweetest most professional voice, “here you go, I hope you like them, it’s warm and (sounding as bubbly as possible) gluten free!”. It took everything I had not to spit my food out laughing.

when asked about food restrictions I always deadpan that I am a kosher gluten-free vegan with nut allergies and it sure throws them.