Mushroom powder pasta?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Brian G r a f s t r o m

Mushroom powder pasta?

#1 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 16th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Would it work to mix some mushroom powder (finely processed dehydrated mushrooms) with flour when making homemade pasta? Has anyone tried this?

I did homemade pasta for the first time last week, and now I think I'm going to be obsessed ... [training.gif]
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

TimF

Re: Mushroom powder pasta?

#2 Post by TimF » November 16th, 2018, 1:30 pm

I’ve never tried it. I’d say go for it. People add many things to pasta. Might go well with a cream sauce.
Tim F@itsch

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by T. Melloni » November 16th, 2018, 1:40 pm

I am thinking about doing something similar with beet powder. After watching videos of Salty Seattle and colored pasta, I think I will reconstitute the powder first using either water or egg.

Limit of 32 characters; I am #33

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#4 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 16th, 2018, 1:52 pm

I was considering reconstituting with water, too, but mentally decided not to because water isn't a pasta ingredient. thought about reconstituting with egg, but wasn't sure that would work. ... will watch the video now; thanks for posting!

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#5 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 16th, 2018, 1:59 pm

Is it advisable to process the eggs that much? I followed Marcela Hazan's directions, and she just said to beat the eggs with a fork for a few seconds.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by RichardFlack » November 16th, 2018, 5:10 pm

My GUESS is it would work but why? Plain pasta, and toss with some sauté mushrooms finished in a little Madeira would be quicker way to a mushroom fix.
Perhaps it’s a component in a more elaborate dish? That could be v interesting.
Where I do use mushroom dust is on a seared tuna.

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by T. Melloni » November 16th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
November 16th, 2018, 1:59 pm
Is it advisable to process the eggs that much? I followed Marcela Hazan's directions, and she just said to beat the eggs with a fork for a few seconds.
I think Marcella's directions are for making a well on your work surface, and beat the eggs in that well. I don't read her instructions as a caution not to over-beat the eggs. (She usually issues a direct caution when she thinks one should not do something. For example, she would never add squid ink!)

My thought about reconstituting the powder in a liquid is to better integrate the flavor into the pasta.
If you add it in as you knead the dough, you could get a speckled look which might be fun and provide a better appearance than 'brown' pasta.

By the way... if you really follow Marcella's directions, she would only add spinach.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#8 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 16th, 2018, 5:55 pm

T. Melloni wrote:
November 16th, 2018, 5:42 pm
November 16th, 2018, 1:59 pm
I think Marcella's directions are for making a well on your work surface, and beat the eggs in that well. I don't read her instructions as a caution not to over-beat the eggs. (She usually issues a direct caution when she thinks one should not do something. For example, she would never add squid ink!)
You have her correct, and that's how I went about it. I may have erroneously read-into her instructions an implication that is not there. You're right about her opinion re: squid ink, too --- an opinion I strongly disagree with.

My thought about reconstituting the powder in a liquid is to better integrate the flavor into the pasta.
If you add it in as you knead the dough, you could get a speckled look which might be fun and provide a better appearance than 'brown' pasta.
My only concern is the added moisture would result in the need for more flour which might throw-off the texture(?). I dunno ... newhere !
By the way... if you really follow Marcella's directions, she would only add spinach.
True. But what's the fun in that!?! [berserker.gif]

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by T. Melloni » November 16th, 2018, 6:03 pm

I love squid ink pasta. It goes against so many culinary rules but is still fun to eat, especially in a seafood based sauce.
Hope you take and post some photos.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Jay Miller » November 23rd, 2018, 12:47 pm

I bought an imported porcini pasta some years ago from Buon Italia. Didn't like it very much but it functions as a proof of concept.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#11 Post by Chris Freemott » November 23rd, 2018, 1:23 pm

After watching videos of Salty Seattle
She's amazingly talented..

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#12 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 24th, 2018, 5:41 am

What didn't you like about it, Jay?

Lee Short

#13 Post by Lee Short » November 24th, 2018, 10:32 pm

I would think this would 'work' if you processed the powder finely and consistently enough, and didn't use too much. It would probably take a bit of experimentation to determine what too much is, and if you can add real flavor below that level. It might be that it doesn't take much powder to mess with the texture of the pasta -- wouldn't surprise me. But I can't say as I really know.

However, I'm having trouble envisioning a dish where I'd want to do this in preference to either just adding sauteed mushrooms, or using powder to thicken the sauce.

I am a big fan of mushroom powder dusted on a chop prior to searing. Got a pretty reasonable stock of dried boletes from the last couple of months -- been a good mushrooming season here in the Northwest.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#14 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 26th, 2018, 8:09 am

Lee Short wrote:
November 24th, 2018, 10:32 pm
I would think this would 'work' if you processed the powder finely and consistently enough, and didn't use too much. It would probably take a bit of experimentation to determine what too much is, and if you can add real flavor below that level. It might be that it doesn't take much powder to mess with the texture of the pasta -- wouldn't surprise me.
My worries, as well.
However, I'm having trouble envisioning a dish where I'd want to do this in preference to either just adding sauteed mushrooms, or using powder to thicken the sauce.
Very good point, and I don't have a good answer for you. I guess it's just a culinary challenge, and oddity of interest, more than anything else. :)
I am a big fan of mushroom powder dusted on a chop prior to searing. Got a pretty reasonable stock of dried boletes from the last couple of months -- been a good mushrooming season here in the Northwest.
mmmmm ... I'm going to try this! [cheers.gif]

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Jay Miller » November 26th, 2018, 9:11 am

November 24th, 2018, 5:41 am
What didn't you like about it, Jay?
Oh, you’re asking me to remember 6 years ago. All I recall is that Arnold liked it more than I did so I didn’t tell him when I threw the rest of it out.
Last edited by Jay Miller on November 26th, 2018, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#16 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » November 26th, 2018, 9:16 am

Lol!! Fair enough.

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Marshall Gelb » November 26th, 2018, 10:09 am

I have used dried porcini mixed with flour to dredge veal or chicken cutlets but have never used it for homemade pasta. Very interested in your results.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Lee Short

#18 Post by Lee Short » November 27th, 2018, 6:52 pm

November 26th, 2018, 8:09 am
Lee Short wrote:
November 24th, 2018, 10:32 pm
mmmmm ... I'm going to try this! [cheers.gif]
As Marshall says, it's best if you throw some flour or other starch in the mix. I'll do course ground corn meal for a particularly rustic pork chop.

Christine Huang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Christine Huang » January 14th, 2019, 8:16 am

I’m late to this thread, but I can vouch for Salty Seattle’s method of blending the colorant/flavoring with the eggs. It makes for a more consistent product. I tried adding the powder to the flour first, but hers worked a little better.

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”