Efficient garlic/salt shaker ideas for cooking

I have long kept a shaker of sea salt and one of garlic powder nearby when cooking. I’ve used those stainless ones with the handles.

But, they always seem to get corroded and clogged both inside the shakers and at the holes on top…

Any suggestions for better shakers, ie, things that aren’t metal…and can store a good amount of salt/garlic powder…without corroding? Ceramic??

Or, am I missing a solution for avoiding the corrosion/clogging? (Other than constant cleaning).

Plastic grinders.

Get an Emile Henry salt pig. You’ll have more control over your salt.

Am not looking for a grinder…shakers to use while cooking.

Use a plastic grinder on coarse setting.

The problem you’re having is that the steam from whatever you’re cooking causes the granulated spices to clump and block the holes. Either just season from up higher or earlier in the process before the steam becomes an issue.

Thanks, Elliot. I always assumed it was the natural moisture in the air that did this? But…that’s a new angle…and something to try not to do.

Since my wife uses them too, I’ll try to figure out a way to blame her. pileon

Garlic powder seems to me an abysmal sulphurous tainter of good food. Why not use the stuff fresh? though you can’t shake it, I guess.

I don’t use garlic powder but for salt a good pinch or two from a small tub sprinkled over the pot works well. And you can season late in the cooking if you wish.

I use fresh garlic whenever I can.

I use garlic powder to sprinkle on pizza and in dry rubs for curing and smoking meats. (My wife adds it to grilled meats before cooking, and it drives me nuts…as it burns).

It has its limited uses, especially where fresh garlic doesn’t work too well.

Granulated garlic is fine for rubs and such. Dick K sure loved his granulated garlic.

I got a salt pig a few years ago. I love it.

Maybe, the culprit is the eater, not the garlic powder. [snort.gif]

I have saved several friends from garlic powder by recommending this: Crunchy Garlic Best Organic Garlic Flavor

This product is organic, chopped, toasted garlic nuggets you can add either before or after cooking, depending on your preference. Comes out of a shaker container. You dont have to cut or time the cooking of the garlic.

I have no affiliation with the company but I did live in Ojai, where they were located and you always knew what day of the week they were toasting on.

G

I can’t see the point in using salt in a shaker at all. Once I started using a bowl of salt for all cooking I never looked back. What’s the advantage in a shaker, reducing use maybe? Even then it seems much harder to know how much you are using.

I tend to agree with others about garlic salt as well. For most garlic uses if I want it to be very fine rather than in pieces, I just make a paste with salt that blends into most dishes. It is an added step, but I’ve always found the flavor of fresh garlic to be worth the hassle. I do understand on dry rubs though.

The purpose of a salt shaker is to have an even spread. Taking a pinch out of bowl and throwing it onto something cooking , cooked or about to be cooked isn’t effective for that even spread. You can end up with a pile of salt in one bite and none in the next…

For many uses, it is not necessary or best. But, my question in the OP is to get an efficient salt shaker that doesn’t corrode…not to discuss whether there are better methods to apply salt.

Does anyone have any ideas? (The suggestion about steam is a good one…I will take heed.)

Thanks. Just ordered a bottle on Amazon…never heard of it…or really understand what it does vis a vis a powder…but am all bulbs on this.

Thanks, I was honestly curious. I’ve never found it to be a problem to sprinkle by hand. It can be a messier option for sure, as sprinkling by hand often results in salt falling onto the stovetop. I’ve always found it more precise to sprinkle by hand and harder to gauge amount from a shaker.