Turkey- Where do you buy it?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Message
Author
User avatar
Jay Selman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1093
Joined: February 6th, 2009, 3:22 am
Location: Southern California

Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#1 Post by Jay Selman » November 5th, 2018, 10:30 am

Typically we use a local butcher who sources from Sheldon Farms. We have also bought from Trader Joes. Open to hearing other sources.
Last edited by Jay Selman on November 5th, 2018, 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 14068
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: Turkey- Where do you but it?

#2 Post by Victor Hong » November 5th, 2018, 12:15 pm

"Turkey- Where do you but it?"

??????????
WineHunter.

User avatar
Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4197
Joined: April 30th, 2010, 9:04 am
Location: Oldenburg, Germany

Re: Turkey- Where do you but it?

#3 Post by Henry Kiichli » November 5th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Buy
Bought
But
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

User avatar
Peter Hirsch
Posts: 2781
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Re: Turkey- Where do you but it?

#4 Post by Peter Hirsch » November 5th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Used to go to d'Artagnan
Now Fresh Direct

User avatar
Jay Selman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1093
Joined: February 6th, 2009, 3:22 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#5 Post by Jay Selman » November 5th, 2018, 12:37 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 12:15 pm
"Turkey- Where do you but it?"

??????????
The typo has been corrected. Sorry if the post presented an intellectual challenge.

User avatar
Jay Selman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1093
Joined: February 6th, 2009, 3:22 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Turkey- Where do you but it?

#6 Post by Jay Selman » November 5th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Peter Hirsch wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 12:26 pm
Used to go to d'Artagnan
Now Fresh Direct
Thanks

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 14068
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: Turkey- Where do you but it?

#7 Post by Victor Hong » November 5th, 2018, 12:39 pm

put
cut
buy
butt
etc.

[shrug.gif]
Last edited by Victor Hong on November 5th, 2018, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WineHunter.

User avatar
cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4835
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 5:00 pm
Location: Cranford NJ

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#8 Post by cjsavino » November 5th, 2018, 12:45 pm

Local farm, fresh kill. Had it the first time last year and it was the best tasting turkey in years

http://www.ashleyfarmsonline.com/index.php/turkeys/
Chris
Image

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13617
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#9 Post by Jay Miller » November 5th, 2018, 1:53 pm

I always go to my cousins for Thanksgiving. They buy the precooked turkey from Wegmans.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Jay Selman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1093
Joined: February 6th, 2009, 3:22 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#10 Post by Jay Selman » November 5th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Jay Miller wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 1:53 pm
I always go to my cousins for Thanksgiving. They buy the precooked turkey from Wegmans.
My wife likes to cook so much I don’t think she would ever buy a precooked bird.

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13617
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#11 Post by Jay Miller » November 5th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Jay Selman wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 2:04 pm
Jay Miller wrote:
November 5th, 2018, 1:53 pm
I always go to my cousins for Thanksgiving. They buy the precooked turkey from Wegmans.
My wife likes to cook so much I don’t think she would ever buy a precooked bird.
The family joke is that when my cousin moved out my aunt bestowed her recipes on her. The phone number for pizza, the phone number for Frank and Lennys’s, the phone number for...
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4128
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#12 Post by Paul Jaouen » November 6th, 2018, 6:00 am

King's Supermarket which has a variety of choices. I buy D'Artagnan.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18762
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#13 Post by Brian Tuite » November 6th, 2018, 6:17 am

Direct from the winery.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

User avatar
mseeber
Posts: 191
Joined: April 25th, 2014, 3:36 pm
Location: Boulder, CO

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#14 Post by mseeber » November 6th, 2018, 6:20 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 6:17 am
Direct from the winery.
I hope you don’t Pobega it... [berserker.gif]
M a r k S e e b e r
CT=mseeber

User avatar
G. Bienstock
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2611
Joined: December 29th, 2009, 6:32 pm
Location: Reno, NV

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#15 Post by G. Bienstock » November 12th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Trader Joe's Kosher
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

Elliot Steele
Posts: 511
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#16 Post by Elliot Steele » November 12th, 2018, 1:14 pm

G. Bienstock wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 12:50 pm
Trader Joe's Kosher
+1000. Trader Joe's kosher turkeys are the best. And you've got the added plus that they've already been dry brined.
There's no U-Haul behind the hearse

User avatar
Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4603
Joined: November 22nd, 2015, 9:03 am
Location: Sunny South Florida

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#17 Post by Ken Strauss » November 12th, 2018, 7:01 pm

D’Artagnan
Took atvantage of free shipping.
Ordered 22 lbs.
Saved $51. Shipping.
Hopefully the best turkey ever.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

User avatar
Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9489
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:23 pm
Location: Napa, CA

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#18 Post by Randy Bowman » November 12th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Raley's Jennie-O boneless turkey breast. Even though it comes in a ready to bake bag with spices etc., Carrie removes it, washes the spices off then puts it into a freezer bag with commercial liquid smoke for 24 hours. Baked on a wire rack in a pan with more liquid smoke. Awesome. Day 2 it is smokier on our sandwiches.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Brian Gilp
Posts: 2361
Joined: May 29th, 2010, 6:00 am

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#19 Post by Brian Gilp » November 13th, 2018, 2:20 am

I get my turkey’s from Mom’s Organic Market, a small chain in the mid-Atlantic. This year getting one Kelleybronze

https://www.kellybronze.co.uk/faqs

And one from Maple Lawn Farm

http://maplelawn.com

Will deep fry the Maple Lawn and Roast the Kelleybronze.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2475
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 10:17 am

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#20 Post by MitchTallan » November 13th, 2018, 11:42 am

Here in Central Ohio, us hayseeds who want us a fine gore-met gobble-gobbler to fix for the table with rest of our vittles go with Bowman and Landes, a small family-owned farm out of New Carlisle OH near Dayton.
https://bowmanlandes.com/about/
I buy two each Thanksgiving, same size. One gets oven roasted, one get's smoked on my BGE.
I brine them naturally.
We have a poultry vendor in our so-called farm market downtown (it is more a food court than a farmers market) that will have an entire refrigerated trailer sitting in the parking lot with customers' reserved B&L birds to pick up during the M, T, and W prior to the big day.

I think a 100 years ago or so on the old eBob Board someone recco'd the Greenberg Smoked turkey and I ordered one.
Damn, that had to be one of the most over-smoked things-that-get-smoked that I have ever tried to eat.
All these years later I still get emails and brochures from them. I guess I lack the heart to tell them that their bird is awful. You would think they would have dropped me by now. They are the Benovia/Kosta Browne of the turkey world.

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26422
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#21 Post by Corey N. » November 13th, 2018, 12:29 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 11:42 am
I buy two each Thanksgiving, same size. One gets oven roasted, one get's smoked on my BGE.
I brine them naturally.
Would you mind sharing your smoking technique?

TIA
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4171
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#22 Post by T. Altmayer » November 13th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Local butcher offers Shelton which I go ahead and buy. Too many people to try and go heritage or more exotic. Happy with Shelton once brined and BBQed.
Tom

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2475
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 10:17 am

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#23 Post by MitchTallan » November 13th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Corey N. wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 12:29 pm
MitchTallan wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 11:42 am
I buy two each Thanksgiving, same size. One gets oven roasted, one get's smoked on my BGE.
I brine them naturally.
Would you mind sharing your smoking technique?

TIA
I would be happy to. Before I had my XL BGE I just used my Weber Platinum and though it pains me to admit it, the Weber does an even better job. I am sure you know how to brine. Take the bird out of the brine several hours in advance, a day if possible, and after patting dry the skin, brush it with an even mix of honey and water (microwave the two and the honey will thin easily). Let the bird sit on a rack for the time above. This helps dry the skin for future crisping. If using a Weber, you would use an aluminum pan underneath to catch the juices and use the two baskets with apple chips wrapped in aluminum foil above. If using a BGE, I again recommend using apple and maybe a little cherry chunks wrapped in foil among the lump under the BGE "plate-setter". Again use a pan to collect the juices but there is no need to fill the pan with water. Using either the Weber or the BGE, turkeys cook pretty fast. Don't be afraid of heat-300 to 325 degrees is fine. I flip my bird once after the breast is a deep bronze to apply some heat and browning to the other side. That's really all there is to it, it can't be easier or simpler. You will know it is done when the legs begin to get loose and the bone at the end of drumsticks emerges. Or use a Thermapen. Be sure to let it rest an hour before slicing.

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26422
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#24 Post by Corey N. » November 14th, 2018, 7:29 am

MitchTallan wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 6:24 pm
I would be happy to. Before I had my XL BGE I just used my Weber Platinum and though it pains me to admit it, the Weber does an even better job. I am sure you know how to brine. Take the bird out of the brine several hours in advance, a day if possible, and after patting dry the skin, brush it with an even mix of honey and water (microwave the two and the honey will thin easily). Let the bird sit on a rack for the time above. This helps dry the skin for future crisping. If using a Weber, you would use an aluminum pan underneath to catch the juices and use the two baskets with apple chips wrapped in aluminum foil above. If using a BGE, I again recommend using apple and maybe a little cherry chunks wrapped in foil among the lump under the BGE "plate-setter". Again use a pan to collect the juices but there is no need to fill the pan with water. Using either the Weber or the BGE, turkeys cook pretty fast. Don't be afraid of heat-300 to 325 degrees is fine. I flip my bird once after the breast is a deep bronze to apply some heat and browning to the other side. That's really all there is to it, it can't be easier or simpler. You will know it is done when the legs begin to get loose and the bone at the end of drumsticks emerges. Or use a Thermapen. Be sure to let it rest an hour before slicing.
If you don't mind a follow-up -- how does the skin come out? I've heard that it doesn't crisp nicely, so I was considering a smoke, followed by a pop in a 350 degree oven. Also, roughly how long does it take on the BGE?

Much appreciated (because I don't want to ruin Thanksgiving)
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2475
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 10:17 am

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#25 Post by MitchTallan » November 14th, 2018, 8:51 am

If you don't mind a follow-up -- how does the skin come out? I've heard that it doesn't crisp nicely, so I was considering a smoke, followed by a pop in a 350 degree oven. Also, roughly how long does it take on the BGE?

Much appreciated (because I don't want to ruin Thanksgiving)
Good question. When first taken off the BGE, the skin is crisp on the breast/wings/legs but never gets crisp on the back side (the skin there is never good anyway so who cares as long as it is browned). The problem as you know is that if you let it rest for 45 mins to an hour, the skin loses it's crispness. Not totally-it is somewhere between optimum and passable but not rubbery-if you let it rest with towels-so that steam can escape. The skin over the breast meat gets the softest-the skin on the legs tends to stay crisp even with resting. So the dilemma is that if you serve it immediately after taking off the BGE you will have crisper skin but the juices don't have a chance to redistribute. When you cut that hot turkey, you are going to have gushers of juice flowing out. If you try to pop it into a hot oven again after resting, and just before carving, you face the distinct possibility of over-cooking the bird. My "vote' is to let it rest and not worry about softer skin over the breast meat. People look for moist and flavorful meat before they look for crisp skin. The honey-water coating helps get the deep mahogany color I like but doesn't do much for crisping the skin.
I am of the opinion that there is only one way to get crispy skin on a turkey-deep frying. I love deep fried turkey as do my relatives but I hate the clean up out in the cold backyard when there are a hundred better things to be doing.
Assuming you maintain 300-325, the turkey should be done in three and a half hours give or take a half hour assuming something in the 18 lb range. I don't know why this is. The books and references will tell you that at that temp it should take longer. For some reason, on both a Weber and a BGE with fire, the cooking time is faster. Perhaps the natural convection of the dome?

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12364
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#26 Post by J a y H a c k » November 14th, 2018, 9:34 am

I am a heathen. I go to Stop and Shop. I buy the cheap frozen turkeys that they sell as loss leaders. I then brine it for two days with a lot of Cajun spice, honey, sugar, kosher salt and some chopped fresh garlic. Much better than one of those heritage turkeys that taste like they crossed the road too many times. I am, in fact, roasting one tonight because I like turkey.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

User avatar
J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 12364
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 9:59 am

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#27 Post by J a y H a c k » November 14th, 2018, 9:36 am

Crisping the skin? Brush with oil a few times towards the end. Or with meted butter.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 14068
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#28 Post by Victor Hong » November 14th, 2018, 10:05 am

J a y H a c k wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 9:36 am
Crisping the skin? Brush with oil a few times towards the end. Or with meted butter.
Meted amply, in fact. neener
WineHunter.

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5516
Joined: March 7th, 2012, 9:47 am
Location: South Miami,Fl

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#29 Post by NED VALOIS » November 14th, 2018, 10:52 am

D’Artagnan
Orgazmic ! (sic)
I'm going to Bresse it ;
https://www.dartagnan.com/bresse-style- ... ecipe.html

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1156
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 4:35 pm
Location: University Place Wa.

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#30 Post by Mike Maguire » November 14th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Elliot Steele wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 1:14 pm
G. Bienstock wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 12:50 pm
Trader Joe's Kosher
+1000. Trader Joe's kosher turkeys are the best. And you've got the added plus that they've already been dry brined.
+1001, I buy several to have over the next couple months.

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3988
Joined: March 6th, 2010, 1:47 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#31 Post by Michae1 P0wers » November 14th, 2018, 12:08 pm

NED VALOIS wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 10:52 am
D’Artagnan
Orgazmic ! (sic)
I'm going to Bresse it ;
https://www.dartagnan.com/bresse-style- ... ecipe.html
That sounds pretty amazing actually.

I've tried a lot of different turkeys, including heritage birds and local birds from the uber-ethical butcher in my area, but I never find that much difference between that and a commercial bird so I usually just go with the inexpensive option.

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2475
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 10:17 am

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#32 Post by MitchTallan » November 15th, 2018, 6:50 am

Michae1 P0wers wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 12:08 pm
NED VALOIS wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 10:52 am
D’Artagnan
Orgazmic ! (sic)
I'm going to Bresse it ;
https://www.dartagnan.com/bresse-style- ... ecipe.html
That sounds pretty amazing actually.

I've tried a lot of different turkeys, including heritage birds and local birds from the uber-ethical butcher in my area, but I never find that much difference between that and a commercial bird so I usually just go with the inexpensive option.
Huh. The few times I cheaped out and bought a grocery store bird, I found it barely edible. I do agree with Barrister Hack that the uber-expensive heritage birds are tough/chewy and on top of that there is not much meat. As is often the case, the best bang for the buck is in the middle.

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26422
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#33 Post by Corey N. » November 15th, 2018, 7:55 am

Mike Maguire wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 12:07 pm
Elliot Steele wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 1:14 pm
G. Bienstock wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 12:50 pm
Trader Joe's Kosher
+1000. Trader Joe's kosher turkeys are the best. And you've got the added plus that they've already been dry brined.
+1001, I buy several to have over the next couple months.
Do you need to soak before cooking?
WOTY: 2013 d’Yquem

Nøv¡¢k

Elliot Steele
Posts: 511
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#34 Post by Elliot Steele » November 15th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Corey N. wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 7:55 am
Mike Maguire wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 12:07 pm
Elliot Steele wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 1:14 pm


+1000. Trader Joe's kosher turkeys are the best. And you've got the added plus that they've already been dry brined.
+1001, I buy several to have over the next couple months.
Do you need to soak before cooking?
No soaking required. I usually hit it with some more salt in fact as the initial dry brine they do doesn't season it heavily enough for my tastes.
There's no U-Haul behind the hearse

User avatar
Sherri S h a p i r o
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 2277
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Location: South FL

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#35 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » November 15th, 2018, 2:59 pm

Elliot Steele wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 1:14 pm
G. Bienstock wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 12:50 pm
Trader Joe's Kosher
+1000. Trader Joe's kosher turkeys are the best. And you've got the added plus that they've already been dry brined.
I am shocked at this, but trust Elliot's opinion 100%. I stopped buying chicken/meat at TJ years ago because I found the quality to be poor (and freshness sorely lacking).

Elliot Steele
Posts: 511
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#36 Post by Elliot Steele » November 15th, 2018, 3:03 pm

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 2:59 pm
Elliot Steele wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 1:14 pm
G. Bienstock wrote:
November 12th, 2018, 12:50 pm
Trader Joe's Kosher
+1000. Trader Joe's kosher turkeys are the best. And you've got the added plus that they've already been dry brined.
I am shocked at this, but trust Elliot's opinion 100%. I stopped buying chicken/meat at TJ years ago because I found the quality to be poor (and freshness sorely lacking).
Well I'm not going to vouch for the turkeys they have on the east coast but the ones out here in LA are always fantastic.
There's no U-Haul behind the hearse

Adam G
Posts: 361
Joined: October 4th, 2013, 11:32 am
Location: Culver City, CA

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#37 Post by Adam G » November 15th, 2018, 4:10 pm

The TJ's Kosher birds are dry-brined and not soaked? Are you sure? That might get me on board to try one. I detest wet-brined birds and birds with added "flavour enhancer" solutions like just about every frozen bird out there.
I usually end up with a Jenny-O or one from Sprouts.
A. Gr0ssm@n

Elliot Steele
Posts: 511
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#38 Post by Elliot Steele » November 15th, 2018, 11:20 pm

Adam G wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 4:10 pm
The TJ's Kosher birds are dry-brined and not soaked? Are you sure? That might get me on board to try one. I detest wet-brined birds and birds with added "flavour enhancer" solutions like just about every frozen bird out there.
I usually end up with a Jenny-O or one from Sprouts.
Kosher meats by nature cannot be considered kosher if they are wet brined. The whole point of salting them after slaughter is to draw any excess blood out of them which also has the added affect of dry brining. So no, they don't wet brine them.
There's no U-Haul behind the hearse

User avatar
Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 8811
Joined: October 28th, 2012, 2:40 pm
Location: North Burbs Chicago Illinois

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#39 Post by Joe B » November 16th, 2018, 6:19 am

Brian Tuite wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 6:17 am
Direct from the winery.
I didn’t get an allocation this year. How long where you on the list before getting an offer?

Guess I will need to start thawing my 23# Butterball soon.
J W@ll @ce
WOTY
2009 Shafer Hillside Select 98
2013 Realm To-Kalon 97

Michael Sopher
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1469
Joined: April 11th, 2010, 10:58 am
Location: NYC

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#40 Post by Michael Sopher » November 16th, 2018, 2:23 pm

D'Artagnan organic from Fairway. $4.99/lb. and they toss in 3lbs of mashed potatoes for free (sweet or white). Will spatchcock it or just break it down and start legs ahead of time

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18762
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#41 Post by Brian Tuite » November 16th, 2018, 7:44 pm

Joe B wrote:
November 16th, 2018, 6:19 am
Brian Tuite wrote:
November 6th, 2018, 6:17 am
Direct from the winery.
I didn’t get an allocation this year. How long where you on the list before getting an offer?

Guess I will need to start thawing my 23# Butterball soon.
My parents allocation, they moved to Vegas 20 years ago and I get all their Turkey now.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Adam G
Posts: 361
Joined: October 4th, 2013, 11:32 am
Location: Culver City, CA

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#42 Post by Adam G » November 16th, 2018, 11:13 pm

Elliot Steele wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 11:20 pm
Adam G wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 4:10 pm
The TJ's Kosher birds are dry-brined and not soaked? Are you sure? That might get me on board to try one. I detest wet-brined birds and birds with added "flavour enhancer" solutions like just about every frozen bird out there.
I usually end up with a Jenny-O or one from Sprouts.
Kosher meats by nature cannot be considered kosher if they are wet brined. The whole point of salting them after slaughter is to draw any excess blood out of them which also has the added affect of dry brining. So no, they don't wet brine them.
I guess I've misunderstood something all these years. I thought they (both birds and meat) were soaked rather than just dry-salted. Chabad tells me that there's both a soaking step and then the salting step. I guess I had melded them into a single step in my head. Thanks for setting me straight! [cheers.gif]
A. Gr0ssm@n

Elliot Steele
Posts: 511
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#43 Post by Elliot Steele » November 17th, 2018, 6:18 am

Adam G wrote:
November 16th, 2018, 11:13 pm
Elliot Steele wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 11:20 pm
Adam G wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 4:10 pm
The TJ's Kosher birds are dry-brined and not soaked? Are you sure? That might get me on board to try one. I detest wet-brined birds and birds with added "flavour enhancer" solutions like just about every frozen bird out there.
I usually end up with a Jenny-O or one from Sprouts.
Kosher meats by nature cannot be considered kosher if they are wet brined. The whole point of salting them after slaughter is to draw any excess blood out of them which also has the added affect of dry brining. So no, they don't wet brine them.
I guess I've misunderstood something all these years. I thought they (both birds and meat) were soaked rather than just dry-salted. Chabad tells me that there's both a soaking step and then the salting step. I guess I had melded them into a single step in my head. Thanks for setting me straight! [cheers.gif]
Hmm you better ask your rabbi. The way I understand it is that it is dry salted on a rack so that the blood runs away from it and it doesn't sit in it whereas soaking it would cause it to sit in its own blood. It's the same reason you aren't allowed to cook liver in a frying pan, rather it must be cooked on a grill or on a rack under a broiler where the blood will run away from it as it is cooked.
There's no U-Haul behind the hearse

saul_cooperstein
Posts: 90
Joined: February 9th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#44 Post by saul_cooperstein » November 17th, 2018, 8:08 am

Costco diestel pre-brined and seasoned ($3.69/#). I scrape some of the seasoning add some of my own and right into the Weber Smokey Mountain.

Adam G
Posts: 361
Joined: October 4th, 2013, 11:32 am
Location: Culver City, CA

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#45 Post by Adam G » November 17th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Elliot Steele wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 6:18 am
Adam G wrote:
November 16th, 2018, 11:13 pm
Elliot Steele wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 11:20 pm


Kosher meats by nature cannot be considered kosher if they are wet brined. The whole point of salting them after slaughter is to draw any excess blood out of them which also has the added affect of dry brining. So no, they don't wet brine them.
I guess I've misunderstood something all these years. I thought they (both birds and meat) were soaked rather than just dry-salted. Chabad tells me that there's both a soaking step and then the salting step. I guess I had melded them into a single step in my head. Thanks for setting me straight! [cheers.gif]
Hmm you better ask your rabbi. The way I understand it is that it is dry salted on a rack so that the blood runs away from it and it doesn't sit in it whereas soaking it would cause it to sit in its own blood. It's the same reason you aren't allowed to cook liver in a frying pan, rather it must be cooked on a grill or on a rack under a broiler where the blood will run away from it as it is cooked.
You are exactly right. It's just that in koshering, according to Chabad, there is a soaking step before the salting. The salting is dry (minus a bit of residual surface water from the soak to help the salt stick), and soaking for too long renders the meat non-kosher.
A. Gr0ssm@n

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2475
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 10:17 am

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#46 Post by MitchTallan » November 17th, 2018, 4:13 pm

Y
ou are exactly right. It's just that in koshering, according to Chabad,
Not sure why you keep referring to Chabad. AFAIK, Chabad squawks a lot but they don't speak for all of Orthodox Jewry. I would defer to OU (Orthodox Union) myself; https://oukosher.org
Please note that I don't claim to be right and no offense is meant (just in case Neal Mollen is tempted to jump down my throat in this thread too).

Elliot Steele
Posts: 511
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 8:40 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#47 Post by Elliot Steele » November 17th, 2018, 4:41 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
November 17th, 2018, 4:13 pm
Y
ou are exactly right. It's just that in koshering, according to Chabad,
Not sure why you keep referring to Chabad. AFAIK, Chabad squawks a lot but they don't speak for all of Orthodox Jewry. I would defer to OU (Orthodox Union) myself; https://oukosher.org
Please note that I don't claim to be right and no offense is meant (just in case Neal Mollen is tempted to jump down my throat in this thread too).
Chabad customs and the OU's are one in the same when it comes to kashering meat. There's only one right way to do it. After doing the research it seems as if the soaking step is not a brine soak, rather just a plain water soak in order to get excess blood out of as many cavities as possible before the salt is applied. It is then rinsed after it is salted three times.
There's no U-Haul behind the hearse

User avatar
P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1440
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 2:14 pm
Location: El Cerrito CA

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#48 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » November 18th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Jay,
Diestel/Heidi's Hens has a very flavorful heritage bird. I get them at my local natural foods grocer.
Cheers,
Paul

Bdklein
Posts: 4321
Joined: November 10th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#49 Post by Bdklein » November 18th, 2018, 4:47 pm

I get ours at Zorns on Long Island . They have fresh turkeys, plus various prepared foods (fried and rotisserie chicken, hot and cold sides , etc .). The turkeys used to be raised locally but now come from their farm in Pennsylvania. Not organic, but they are "natural".

This years is a 34 lb.'er . Hardest part of it is flipping it from breast side down to breast side up near the end.
Last edited by Bdklein on November 18th, 2018, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Klein

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4198
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Turkey- Where do you buy it?

#50 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 18th, 2018, 5:40 pm

NED VALOIS wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 10:52 am
D’Artagnan
Orgazmic ! (sic)
I'm going to Bresse it ;
https://www.dartagnan.com/bresse-style- ... ecipe.html
I’d be careful with any recipe designed for Bresse poultry; the birds (chicken and geese, at least) are wildly different than anything you’re going to find here. I’ve never had a “Bresse turkey,” but I’ve cooked more than my fair share of chickens and the fat content is off the charts. I did a Bresse goose one Christmas, saved the rendered fat... and used it for the rest of the year. Single greatest goose I’ve ever had, but never again at 200+ Euros [drinkers.gif]
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

Post Reply

Return to “Epicurean Exploits”