Jamon Serrano from Costco?

Anyone try these? $100 Jamon Serrano from Costco?
comes with stand/knife… not the highest quality set, but seems to work ok?

How’s the quality of the ham? Seems like incredibly inexpensive for 14lb of Serrano imported from Spain.

Do you have a link or photo? I’ve looked on the Costco website and I don’t see it.

https://www.costco.com/D’Artagnan-18-month-Aged-Boneless-Spanish-Serrano-Ham.product.11679636.html

Not the same as the one the OP mentioned. I can’t find it either.

photos attached thanks!
(It was $99.95
81349E02-C343-4DC5-89A9-1CA60B709BF1.jpeg
7BEF07DE-B2AD-4946-9913-08F221D1EC74.jpeg
7D34BADF-508A-4D83-B859-231EEAE649AF.jpeg

I’m finding m the ability to cut a consistently thin slice- a serious SKILL.
I cut my finger on my first try. :wink:

Looks pretty legit. That is an unbelievable price! Usually the jamonera and knife themselves go for around $100.

What location of the country was this gem found in?

The link now says $219.99

I am going to look into this, but they were just approved to import.
Import number 45 Noel Alimentaria S.A.U. on 10/11/2018
That is the date they can start their process of curing, so 18 months forward to the approval date. USDA does not go backwards. With the costs that are involved in the process, I don’t see how they can do this unless they are getting the hogs from a foreign provider (China or India), then bringing the hams into Spain and curing. I am going to check who their slaughter house is as well. I am skeptical.

So this is their slaughter house Approval #38 APA Processing BZ S.L. on 12/01/2015

Noel is a HUGE conglomerate mass producing 54,000 Jamones per week between 3 different secodores (curing plants) Obviously volume drives prices lower and very likely the meat origin IS NOT SPAIN. I am still going to check though how a newly approved establishment less than a month ago has 18 month cured jamones in the US, complete with label approval etc.

Nice job Nola. I will be interested to see what you can find out. Anyway to tell for sure where the pigs are from?

George

They have been selling whole hams in the UK for years. Quality isn’t great but fun for a big gathering.

Saw this locally. A fellow board member had a chance to try and said it was mediocre

Yah thanks Nola… interested in what you can find out.

I got one… i mean it’s $99… worst case it gets me some practice… cutting them into consistently thin slices is super hard!..
I too wonder if the pig is from Spain, that is an incredibly low price.

Tried some last night… is it the most amazing Jamon i’ve ever had? nope… it’s decent… not bad with some cheese, and quite fun with some wine. Basically, it’s plenty good enough for $100. [cheers.gif]

This is in Seattle area Costcos

The link above is not the same product…

They can sell foreign pigs as Serrano?

I don’t know, but that’s a ridiculous price. I am going to ask the owner of the jamon curing plant that produces my jamones that I bring in to investigate it for me. I don’t see how any hog farm could produce that number of hogs at that price knowing all of the process that goes into the jamones and the lingth the time they have to be aged, certify them for export the United States, export them, pay for shipping, customs and duties, inspection houses importer payment, warehousing in the US and still get them to the consumer for under $100. I will find out!

Maybe Chinese hogs are just better at math.

An unskilled person might require two or three tries, before drawing blood. neener

If raised with low-cost feed, why not? [barf1.gif]

I have found that Noel is 30% partner with another approved producer, Pernils Llemena and they are probably bringing their jamones in right now until there jamones are aged anyway. I asked my producer and he was reluctant to say much of anything other than who they are. He said likely small jamones with minimal aging, a cheap knife and jamonero and full containers can lessen the costs. Even with that, their costs just to get it into the States, plus I-house, customs, and ground transport, they must have a thread of profit margin. I know in the early times of Navidul they were sourcing the hogs from Poland. Serrano is not a Dominion of Origin like Bellota or Ibericos. So it would not surprise me if they were sourced from elsewhere.

Think of it like a mass produced wine, vs a well made artisan product… Perhaps it will drive my costs down…

That is purely disgusting - dipping the hams in pesticides and spraying them. Floating dead hogs down the river to buyers… Mixing old spoiled meat with fresh and selling to Mick D’s etc… gross