Is Avocado Toast just...avocado on toast?

I’ve heard about it and seen it on menus, but haven’t ordered it or looked closely at the “ingredients.” Is it really just some avocado sliced or spread on toast? What’s the big deal? I love avocado and could see it being very good on toast, but ordering it at a restaurant? Not sure. Unless I’m missing something, of course. Can anyone enlighten me as to the reason behind what I perceive to be a new, hot food “fad?”

Some oil. Some seasoning. Some cream cheese some times. :wink:

The profit margin on that dish is the most attractive part.

I’ve ordered it out and made it at home several times. I like it. Pretty simple.

Avocado
Salt
Pepper
Garlic clove
Olive oil

Smash all of that up in a bowl. Toast a bread of your choosing. Spread it onto the toast. Sprinkle with a course salt of your choosing.

You can obviously adapt as you desire. For instance, sometimes I’ll cut in cherry tomato.

When ordering at a restaurant I usually get a side of bacon for the ultimate chest grabber.

I’ve had some with tomato and egg and some with cheese blended into the avocado.

Depends on your age. it’s either just avocado on toast or it’s a lifestyle.

NOT COOL!!!

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

I looked up recipes for avocado toast once, and found it was primarily some combination of avocados with tomatoes, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. I said to myself that sounded lame, asked my husband to make his famous guac loaded with tomatoes and onions, and put that on toasted bread instead.

The moral of the story is that guac toast > avocado toast.

I’ve had a restaurant version which topped it with a balsamic reduction.

The best avocado toast is as follows:

Toast
Smashed or thinly sliced avocados
Drizzle lemon juice (fresh)
Drizzle toasted sesame oil
Sesame seeds
Salt/Pepper

The. Best.

Haha…that made me chuckle. That’s the feeling I was getting. I might not be “woke” enough to eat avocado toast.

Avocado toast is life in LA. Every place does it differently.

I just had avocado, lightly cooked abalone, pickled red onion and cucumber with yuzu zest. Was nice

[rofl.gif]

It’s almost as egregious as guacamole!

Have you ever had avocado toast?

My wife makes it home whenever she’s up to doing brunch on a weekend.

Avocado and salmon pastrami on toasted rye, with the usual seasonings. Love it!

About once a month the coworking place where our startup is - which is full of young tech startup folks - has Toast Wednesday for the free breakfast and it is insanely popular … I don’t get it. I do like the regular days which serve about 10 variations of bagels and cc. Then again, they also had a “Retro Fluffernutter Snack” day … so clearly I am not of the right generation to appreciate these amenities!

It’s been around for decades. It’s hip now

5860431B-A2E1-406A-A5F9-7474AABA45BD.jpeg
Grilled bread, olive oil, sea salt, red pepper flakes

BACON.
and some of the other stuff. (Surprised we got this far without a mention)

At the risk of thread drift cough this also reminds me of ‘pea toast ‘ we had at a restaurant in Quebec City a while back which was actually made from pea flour somehow. More interesting than wow (came with killer pea broth so the dish overall was good).

I mentioned bacon on the side.

Preserved lemon is a nice addition as well.