Smoking Prime Rib

Anyone have any suggestions or tips.
I am thinking of smoking a nice prime rib roast in my new Rec Tec Bull.
Thanks!

I wish I had an answer Don, because it sounds like a great idea. I’ve never seen, nor heard of prime rib being smoked, but I don’t get out much. I know 24 hours of liquid smoke soak and an 8 hour slow cook works on a 3 pound tri-tip and a 2 pound turkey breast. I’m not sure how deep you can drive the smoke cooking it in a smoker instead of cheating and using commercial grade liquid smoke. I would also be prone to cooking it rare, slicing it and cooking over wood to medium rare and medium, even medium well for the end cut people.

Don- I haven’t smoked one, but can’t imagine it meanders too far from the basics - good rub, low and slow, use desired temp as your guide. Since you aren’t rendering fat like a brisket, shouldn’t take too long. You don’t want it to dry out. Since I sous vide mine now with reverse sear, I would smoke at a low temp for the flavor, then finish sous vide.

Sounds like a lot of work, but my mouth is watering !

Thanks guys!

I have done it many times on a BGE with and without smoking chips. It works very well both ways, it is a personal taste issue as to which one is better. I prefer less smoke but to each their own. My wife loves it with some smoke. The recipe is very, very close to what I have done in the past.

JD

Like John, I have done it on my BGE but I didn’t like the smoke flavor associated with it. I prefer mine without smoke.

But, I now cook all my prime ribs on the BGE indirect around 250 until the internal temperature measures around 115. Then, I pull it off along with the indirect set up and let the fire get hot to sear it direct at high temps. Tremendous result that way. It’s really just the reverse sear method with a BGE substituted for the oven.

Yes, usually do it every year for Christmas.
In high school I was a cook at a steak and ale, we used to slow cook the prime rib in basically a warming oven at 180 degrees F.
I’ve smoked them two ways.
I used to have an electric smoker (Bradley) and it was possible to just run the smoke element. I would “cold smoke” it for about an hour then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate, then later in the day cook it indoors in our convection oven at a realitively high temp (start at 450, lower to 350).

Lately I’ve been cooking them on my Stumps Smoker at 180 degrees. Although I prefer to cook them with the bones on I don’t do that when I use the smoker, for some reason at the lower temp the meat just next to the bone doesn’t seem to cook enough. In any case you don’t need much wood at all to flavor the meat, I use two good size oak wood chunks and don’t add anymore during the smoke. I start by browning the outside either on a gas grill or directly over a live fire (in a wood fired oven), then I crust with S&P before it goes on the smoker (that part can be done ahead and depending on the time before you want to smoke refrigerate if needed). The low heat keeps the outer layer of brown meat to a minimum.
Good Luck!
7DEF611B-977B-40BF-8887-9140582E5C3E.jpeg

Thanks to everyone here. My prime rib came out looking like Mike’s above only I bought the roast “frenched” with the meat/fat on the lower section removed from the bone. (BTW Mike. That looks incredible!) I smoked at 235F in my RecTec until the temperature was 128F. I reverse seared it on the grill quickly. Delicious.
Next time I think I will get a full roast without the bones like Mike’s. That looks perfect.

On to turkey! Smoking one for Thanksgiving.

Don,
Glad it worked for you.
If you can get some maple wood and dried slices of uncooked corn on the cob it makes a great smoke flavor for turkey.