FENNEL PANNA COTTA with SMOKED SALMON

As you all know I have a fondness for pure&simple and cozy recipes. Of course I also admire sophisticated recipes. And especially I am always looking for an easy-to-make sophisticated appetizer for guests. Now I found one and easy to make in advance and such good. Here we have a recipe by the famous french cook Yannick Alléno. This recipe from him is rather for 2-3 people, so you have to add a bit more cream or fennel for 4-6 people.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=5115

ENJOY
Martin

Thanks, that sounds fantastic.

Looks terrific. (“You has me at ‘fennel’”).

The panda cotta could be made a day ahead and the salmon added last minute?

You say for 4+ people to add more fennel or more cream. Shouldn’t that be and? :slight_smile:.
Not to mention gelatin and of course a bigger splash.

That’s an interesting presentation vs individual dishes (which I assume one could use).

This may be over analysing but I do wonder about recipes with fennel that ask for 1 fennel bulb or whatever rather than giving a weight of prepared fennel. Fennel bulbs vary considerably in size, at least here, and also the amount left after discarding the the tough layers etc. I’m glad to see you give weight of the bulb in this recipe. I assume that the tough outer layer should be discarded?

Yes, the fennel panna cotta could be made a day ahead.

You also could put in a litte glass and serve tranches or cubes of smoked salmon extra.
DSC_6423.jpg
In addition you also could add little fennel cubes marinated in lime juice on top of the panna cotta shortly before serving.

Here is the original French recipe:

http://www.y-a-m.com/_data/Recette/7/recette.pdf?time=1395386983

P.S. I would buy a big fennel bulb (250g), add 350g cream and still 2 sheets of gelantine for 4-6 people

Thanks! All great ideas. I especially like the idea of the marinated fennel on top.
I might also add with that some salmon roe but maybe that’s risking losing the simplicity. Perhaps as a variation instead of the smoked salmon.
A few things to play with here.

One other thing. I’ve never actually made Panna Cotta before. Should I do a practice run? It seems pretty straightforward.

Don’t worry, its foolproof.

Salmon roe is a good idea.

Martin, for the marinated fennel would you use just straight lime or lime + a little oil? And how long a marinade? Half an hour? I’ll probably play around a bit tomorrow while Im making the panna cotta but any help to jump start and save me a little time would be most welcome!

Richard, marinate the LITTLE fennel cubes just for 30min. with a splash lime/lemon. Good luck!

One more question I’m afraid. (And I think this is the last one). I can only get powdered gelatine. I hope that’s equivalent to the sheets quality wise. My question is would I simply use the quantity of powdered gelatine for the quantity of fennel cream, ie is the two sheets in the recipe normal strength. Thinking about the result I’d guess that’s the case unless it’s a little weaker for that wobbly constituency.

Sorry, I use gelantine very rarely. Once a year and then only sheets.

I have no experience with powdered gelatine. Certainly some experts will help you.