Kansas City Metro, amazing food on both sides of the state line

I moved to Shawnee Kansas in 2010 to chase a romantic dream. That last part is only relevant because the woman I went to be with is a well known restaurant manager that has worked at some incredible eateries. I was lucky recipient in so much as I afforded the chance to eat some very good food. Has anyone else gotten to taste the flavors of Kansas City and the surrounding cities in both sides of the state line?

Deleted.

Hi Dave,

Have we met?

I will give props to my adopted hometown ca. 2001.

There’s a lot more here than BBQ. But that BBQ!

KC and food? Yeah sure. Whatever you say.

You really have no problem showing your complete ignorance do you Gary? Kansas City is one of the greatest food cities in the country - and pretty famous for it as well.

And my favorite in Kansas City - Joe’s BBQ in a former old gas station is literally, other worldly…

A friend of my daughter moved there after growing up in LA and living for a time in Brooklyn. Daughter has visited and is impressed with the city. Affordable housing and one of the cross roads of America with the associated amalgam of regional influences. Always good in the foody world. [cheers.gif]

Oklahoma Joe’s started in a gas station and still has that first location. Without looking it up right now I believe they have a total of 3, 2 locations for sure. There is also Arthur Bryant’s on Main, and Gates and one of my favorites Bates City BBQ in Shawnee just across the state line in Johnson County

I’m not sure, I’ve met a lot of people. However I got back in June of this year

Will be in Kansas City next week, may need to check things out

Visited a nephew who lives there a few weeks back. Nice city, great food. Crazy state taxes, even for a Californian. Airport is quite far from the city, but hey, in San Diego, the airport is smack downtown.

I get there occasionally, in connection with one of my cases, and my co-counsel/friends both live there and make some effort to keep up with the food scene. I’ve never been disappointed.

Chris,

Feel free to give me a shout if you want some guidance (I have some thoughts in a thread about KC somewhere). There’s more energy on the Missouri side of the state line, but good options on both. If you’re feeling social, I could even try to meet you for a glass.

And be sure to check out Gomer’s, the wine shop that Jim works (worked?) at. I scored some Thomas PN there, 7 years ago.

Hope all is well Jim. [cheers.gif]

Yes, Gomer’s is the premier wine shop in Kansas City with a really remarkable selection. Jim also has a champagne bar in town as well -

Oklahoma Joe’s (gas station location) is fabulous. As for Arthur Bryant’s, it’s gone downhill. And by downhill, I mean tasteless. pileon

For tips/burnt ends, go to LC’s http://www.lcsbarbq.com/ This is about as down and dirty as you’re going to get, but oh so good. The portion is enough for 2 to share.

If you have time, head to the Truman Library. It’s about 20 or so minutes east of KC.

First BBQ place I ever went to in KC was LC’s. Wild place (blue smoke rolled out the front door every time someone opened it) and wildly good eats.

Yes. Ce Va is a terrific place! I highly recommend. https://www.cavakc.com/

Jason

I lived in KC for six+ years until 2014. I think the BBQ is great, Jim is a friend, and Gomer’s a great wine shop. However, with some exceptions the food scene in KC disappointed me. Fine dining in particular was rough. Even at the mid-level it took a lot of care. In any case, I don’t say this to ruffle feathers, just one man’s opinion.

Having said that, I hear that things have improved since 2014 when I left, and they improved a lot during my years there as well. I hope it has continued and continues into the future. I seldom get there often anymore, and when I do I usually revisit BBQ or a few old favorites, but I hope I’m wrong and that things are going great.

I make it there a couple times a year and have had some really great hipster farm to table experiences.
We stay w a friend just south of the Plaza off Loose Park, lots of stuff not far.

I will have to hit you up Jim next time.